Using Disgust

by jgnat 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

When a look of disgust flashes across a loved ones face, how about asking, "Did I do/say something that bothers you?" When they say that its nothing, ask, "Are you sure? I love you very much and I feel that we should be open and honest with each other so that small issues do not become huge problems that seem impossible to solve."

Once a loved one says what is the issue, ask simple questions to learn why, express empathy for their feelings, validation for their feelings, and asking them how they would feel if they were you. The most important thing to remember is to remain loving (i.e., control feelings of anger, frustration, betrail, etc) and compassion. Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. wrote "Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples" which provides more details and examples of how to improve communication with couples.

If a spouse of a JW can figure out how to communicate with a JW's authentic persona, I feel that books by Steve Hassan, Harville Hendrix, and John Grey can help a critically thinking JWs to help a JW loved one's authentic persona to critically think and become stronger.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So how am I to respond if he treats the Church picnic the same way...as from Satan?

Not sure about the Church picnic, but I do have a point of reference about the "church hospitals".

JWs don't seem to mind one bit about going to a Catholic or Lutheran owned hospital. Not surprising since they are "charitable hospitals" and will frequently treat for FREE those without insurance or who have huge deductable amounts to pay out-of-pocket.

That free church stuff must not be from Satan as they sure don't find it disgusting!

Doc

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Reiligious disgust for things that are not disgusting is a conditioned response.

The meetings/articles always use words like disgust, wicked, bad, when describing anything they don't want you to do.

Like administering small electric shocks to an animal everytime it does something it would do normally.

In the end the animal will stop the normal behavior even after the shocks have stopped.

To reintroduce what would be considered "normal" behaviors takes time and positive reinforcement I suppose.

But I no expert.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit