Serious subject - How to cut your alcohol consumption?

by quellycatface 30 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Blondie

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Why not buy exspensive wines?. A very exspensive bottle of wine and one glass a day would last five days. Now that sounds a good way to get aqauainted with quality wines...and cheese.

• losingit
  • barry
    barry

yes new hope and hapiness expensive wines might be the answer. I have a bottle of wine in the cupboard and it was nearly $600 but there is a ban on drinking it. I had the idear to make a collection and make some money because they do go up in value

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Who wants wine when there's chilled Grolsch to be had?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Just live like Jackie Chan. I watched a show about him once and he commented on "vices." He said that he worked out every day [ which reduces stress ] and then he basically eats and drinks what he wants. He said that if he overindulges, he works out extra to balance the scales.

It seems like a good idea to me. There are worse things to drink than wine. You may not be in any real danger at all. Of course, you know yourself. So if you feel you are drinking to cope, then you are probably right. Even so, exercise can help. You reach the point where you don't feel like you need a drink, because your stress is down.

If you are working out, then reward yourself with a good drink. I find that making a quality cocktail helps. I don't drink as much as if I had a cheap drink. Anyway, I know where you are coming from. I have some love-handles to lose. I am sure they are from my 2 drinks almost every night for the last year! All that alcohol turns to sugar and goes somewhere... You can do it!! Just kick some ass!!

DD

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"I am drinking too much wine EVERY night - I blame it on the Borg!!"

As long as you blame a cybernetic collective from Star Trek you will be doomed to failure. You need to hide in wait for the bastard who is stocking your cellar with wine and kick his ass when he next appears.

You also need a change of paradigms; the FORCE will be with you, always.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

As a recoverer, I can say from experience that a person doesn't have a drinking problem. A person has problems so he drinks.

If you are a dependent personality, you have tons of will power - you'll climb a mountain to get a drink.

Use that energy is a positive way. Don't isolate yourself. Change your playground - drinking friends and places.

If you can't manage your life problems by yourself, there are plenty of good folks and groups in your area who can help. You won't ever get this from the Org. or the Kingdom Hall.

Their answer is to DF you a.s.a.p. and take away all your support system - family and friends.

ginger

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I agree with all those who said it is not the amount, but when and why. When you find yourself wanting it so much you drink it, even when you decided to cut back, you have a problem.

When I went through a diorce years ago, since I knew I had alchoholics on both sides if my family, i immediatly got rid of all alchol in my house. I still drank when going out, but that is too expensive to get regular. I was afraid of alochol. I too loved the taste of wine with my meal.

Lucky for me ( or maybe not so lucky since it is total) I seem to have developed some sort of intolerance to alochol since it almost always sets off a massive headache and flu like symptoms. Even 4 ounces of wine will set this off.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can understand why many turn to alcohol after being in a desctructive cult. We have been abused for years. Many JWs are heavy drinkers. Thankfully I am not, I have never felt the desire to drink regularly. I only drink socially on special occaisions with my meal, one or two glasses of wine. My adult daughter is the same, and so are my parents.

I think it is also down to culture. Many families drink every night or 5 nights a week.

quelly, if it's something you really want to do you will. Good luck with your choices.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit