One step closer to a possible JW blood transfusion solution

by sir82 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• sir82
    sir82

See the article here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/18/the_wellcome_trust_is_funding_research_to_make_human_blood_from_stem_cells.html

Blood could become much less scarce if a British research group succeeds in bringing a version made from stem cells to human trials, and eventually to market. A 5 million pound (about $8.4 million) research initiative funded by the Wellcome Trust has made significant progress after four years and is on track to start human in trials in late 2016.

The scientists are working with human embryonic stem cells as well as induced pluripotent stem cells (mature cells that are artificially induced to regress to their pre-defined stage) to create universal type-O blood. If all goes well with the group's clinical trials, the next step would be specific testing to see how subjects respond to donated vs. stem cell-made blood.

Marc Turner, the lead researcher and also the director of the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service, told the Telegraph, “Although similar research has been conducted elsewhere, this is the first time anybody has manufactured blood to the appropriate quality and safety standards for transfusion into a human being.”

Joanne Mountford, a member of the research team from Glasgow University, told the Financial Times that the first trial will use blood made from embryonic stem cells, and then the group will move to testing blood made by induced pluripotent stem cells.

You probably shouldn't stop donating blood quite yet. But manufactured blood would be plentiful and would have an even lower rate of contamination than exists in the current blood distribution system. Maybe someday the fake blood in lousy horror movies will be a little more real—or maybe, True Blood style, vampires can finally come out of the closet.

At first glance, this appears to be a godsend () for the JW legal dept. - a way for JWs to accept blood without it coming from a living donor.

Or will the JW hardliners win out, and argue that even if it comes from non-blood stem cells, blood is blood and JWs shouldn't accept it?

This is just one of many medical breakthroughs that will need clarification in the JW Talmud (aka "Questions From Readers") in years to come.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The blood doctine at the moment is convoluted. JWs can accept blood fractions as a matter of conscience. Where are the fractions harvested from? I can see this being a conscience matter. But you have a point Sir82 JW hardliners may want JWs to be different after all it is a cult.

Kate xx

• Laika
    Laika

And if the Society approves this, they will then no doubt take credit for inspiring it's invention.

• L3G
    L3G

Love this:

the JW Talmud

The blood issue is difficult since so many have given their lives for it. The GB is no doubt very afraid to change that one. The backlash would be severe, far more so than on any other issue they've had. Who knows though? This COULD give them a way out. We'll have to wait and see.

Thx for the share. I think someone else has posted something about this here already.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I guess everyone would benefit from home grown blood, so bring it on !

As for J W's ? I could forsee this being a conscience thing, since it is not drawn from the veins of a donor

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "...will the JW hardliners win out, and argue that even if it comes from non-blood stem cells, blood is blood and JWs shouldn't accept it?"

Even money says the GB makes it a "conscience matter"...

...but...

...I had a conversation about this a similar subject (synthetic blood) with a hard-core JW loyalist a few years back, and he basically said, "Even if it's artificial, it's still blood..."

I inwardly rolled my eyes, and let the topic of conversation move on to something else.

bluesbrother - "I guess everyone would benefit from home-grown blood...

'Specially vampires...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

They would make it a conscience matter and try and let the whole blood thing fade away quietly...

• Island Man
    Island Man

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this still be blood? The only difference would be the manner in which it is produced, but it would still be blood and since JWs say no blood can be taken into the system then they would reject it. Consider a parrallel situation: The JW organization considers artificial insemination with sperm donated from someone you're not married to as fornication - even though no sexual intercourse is involved. If that's their stance on artificial insemination I don't see how they would approve of blood transfusions just because the blood is produced, or rather, its production is triggered, by artificial means. Once it's actual blood they will refuse it.

However, the Watchtower has been known to be inconsistent in it's reasoning, applying X reasoning to Y situation but then inconsistently turning around and applying A reasoning to y situation. Consider for examply their position on marrying young as compared to being baptized young. They have no problems with minors making what they consider to be the most important decision in life - baptism - with severe repurcussions if they change their minds later in adulthood; but they say young adults should wait until they're older an more mature before entering into marriage. Two diametrically opposite positions for two comparable situations, both involving making important life decisions at a young age. It is noteworthy that the two inconsistent positions benefit the organization.

So if the organization stands to benefit by allowing the transfusion of stem-cell blood then they will inconsistently permit it and use some kind of twisted logic to deceive the rank and file into thinking there's a huge difference between stem-cell blood and normal blood. If the organization is looking for a way out of bad publicity due to the refusal of transfusions then they might see stem-cell blood as an opportunity to get out of the blood quagmire by permitting JWs to have it. Then slowly they could just start turning a blind eye to the whole blood issue and not have to fear lawsuits from families who died refusing natural blood in the past because there was no stem cell blood in the past to give them. They can definitely see it as their window out of the blood issue.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good reasoning however they have already allowed blood transfusions in many other forms. Just the mere fact blood "fractions" have to come from donated blood is an illogical position they have neatly avoided.

The other fact is that I am almost 100% sure that if the WTS could retract the blood prohibition with legal and financial implication then they would. They know it's a load of bollocks but can't risk the lawsuits and effect on the flock of such a turnaround.

Anything that would allow them to leave the prohibition there but give people enough work arounds as a "conscience" matter is the next best exit strategy.

• Island Man
    Island Man

The other fact is that I am almost 100% sure that if the WTS could retract the blood prohibition [without] legal and financial implication then they would. They know it's a load of bollocks but can't risk the lawsuits and effect on the flock of such a turnaround.

Anything that would allow them to leave the prohibition there but give people enough work arounds as a "conscience" matter is the next best exit strategy.

I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit