Jehovah's Witnesses Have No Problem With Lying!

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Witnesses brag that they are the most honest people in the world!

But, they teach their followers that it's ok to lie IF someone is not "entitled" to know the truth.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I agree. I've experienced that too many times not to believe it to be accurate. it's like ther eis an "out" for them to decieve and be ok with it.

Of course the WT printed material's inaccurate citations from other sources is a continual example of it.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Sometimes with the loaded language, words are redefined in such a way that the Watchtower or their representatives can say something ‘truthfully’ within the scope of the loaded language and yet be misleading in terms of everyday vernacular and somehow come away with a clean conscience.

For instance, for the first 18 years of my life (up until 1990), I sold magazines from door to door. Yet, if a householder accused me being a door-to-door salesman or soliciting, I would vigorously and sincerely deny it. There was nobody more deceived in that case than I was.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hell, I lie all the time. In fact, I'm lying right now.

Seriously, though; the very best liars are the ones who can lie to themselves, and what's more, believe the lie.

It's partly why the GB really can be True Believers whilst simultaneously knowing how wrong they are (it also helps when you surround yourself solely with people who aren't allowed to disagree with you).

Also, GB members are authoritarian leader-type personalities, and I've come to suspect that authoritarians don't experience cognitive dissonance the way the rest of us do.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I see it all the time on Yahoo Answers. An ex-JW or JW critic will mention one of inconvenient truths about JW doctrine or policy and a JW will give an answer denying it and accusing the critic of lying. It seems they have a different definition of lying. To them lying means saying something about JWs that they don't like. I have seen a JW give an answer denying a claim by a critic only to give a clarification that is essentially the same as the critic claimed only with more diplomatic language. To illustrate, if a critic says Jehovah's Witnesses stole 12 eggs. A JW will say no that's not true, Jehovah's Witnesses only borrowed 1 dozen eggs without permission and just haven't returned it yet.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Even the jw.org FAQ page is one deceptive answer after another, giving an answer that leads the reader to another conclusion than is the reality. This is extremely hypocritical seeing as they have said (dont have the quote) that lying is not simply telling an untruth, but includes saying something that is techincally true but leads the reader to the incorrect conclusion.

But its all good because if you lie about selfish things=bad but if you lie to make Jehovah (the WT society) look better than it=Theocratic warfare!

• BU2B
    BU2B

So true island man! Its all about semantics with them, just like when they discuss how they are guided by holy spirit but not inspired, and how they are prophets, but can still make false predictions and be exempt from Deuteronomy 18: 20-22.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Lying isn't really lying IF it is done correctly.

Example: Elder comes to a brother and says, "We have a report that you have been out late at night, partying, getting drunk, smoking, and spending the night with women numerous times. Have you?"

Brother replies either, "I have." or, "I have?"

The second way, with a slight uptick could be used to deflect the question, while at the same time salving his conscience by not actually denying anything, if in fact he had been doing those things.

Easy....

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, theocratic warfare is what it is---not lying. Right.

• piztjw
    piztjw

@BU2B

*** w87 9/15 pp. 17-18 par. 7 Keep Submitting to “the Spirit That Is Life-Giving” ***

7 We also need to be careful that we always tell the truth. Being devious or deliberately misleading others in order to avoid responsibility really amounts to lying. So be sure to heed Paul’s counsel: “Now that you have put away falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, because we are members belonging to one another.”—Ephesians 4:25; Proverbs 3:32.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit