Wrong Memorial address

by A.proclaimer 2 Replies latest jw friends

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

Because it was the memorial today (yesterday for some of you around the world), I remembered something that happened last year at my now current congregation. It was around the time of the campaign where the invites were being released. Now keep in mind that this is a congregation that's in a foreign language and the people who speak this language are scattered all over the city so the territory is very large and takes time to cover. Anyway, they go on the campaign, and the day of the memorial arrives. I get this text from a sister giving me the new address of the memorial location. I planned to go to my old hall that time so it didn't matter for me but I was surprised that they had a new location. So I asked her about it and she told me that they got the wrong address on the invitations! I started to wonder what if someone showed up to the address on the invite only to find the place unavailable. I later brought up the wrong address issue to an elder sometime after the memorial, and he had a serious look saying they weren't sure who put the wrong address on there and they were going to figure out who. I would have hated to be in that guys shoes.

any interesting memorial-related stories?

• subytrek
    subytrek

Maybe it was an 'apostate' I thought holy spirit would keep stuff like that from happening.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

We live right on the edge of the territory of one KH, but when we moved here 6 years ago, we mistakenly went to the one who shared our post office and zip code. The friends all had a good chuckle over this, since they "got" us and our babies (ages 3 and 6 months at the time). We still get "calls" from the JWs who are assigned to our territory.

(That was the long way of saying we always get invited twice).

I wasn't home for the local KH invitation drop-off, so I found it stuck in the door.

I was discussing the topic of the "faithful and discreet slave" with my elderette, when she casually slipped the invitation out of her current Awake/Watchtower combo. She seems to be in the habit of sticking one magazine inside the other (probably so you won't notice how flimsy they are). She was going through her prepared presentation of evidence to me, and asked if she had already given me the magazines. When I said that she had, she simply said, "Here. Let me give you this."

She handed me the Memorial invitation, but said nothing about it. It didn't seem important to her at all, more like something to check off her list. If I hadn't already decided that I was NOT going to allow her to change the subject, I would have made more of it... but I also thought she would be back before the Memorial. Our schedules did not connect, so she didn't even end up mentioning it.

My mother visited a few weeks ago, and when we were putting her next visit on the calendar, we did confirm the date of the Memorial. She was supposed to come on the Friday before, and I repeated back to her a few times that the Memorial was the following Monday, in case that was going to cause a conflict. She didn't seem phased. She also did not ask me to attend, and did not give me an invitation. Yes, she lives 70 miles away, but...

Nobody seemed that interested in inviting us to this most important "celebration." (SO disappointed!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit