Did anyone in the congregation discourage you from going to college?

by Trapped in JW land 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kaik
    kaik

Yes, they did. They even came to my house to persuade me to drop application. They threatened, whinned, etc, and even put my mother on the side to talk me out of it. Any case, I got accepted to polytechnic university and later went to study abroad and I am really happy with my decision. I wish I have more time and energy to pursue additional degrees. I took also courses in theology lead by rabbi and jesuit priest, and I really enjoyed them as they have opened different venues for me. This probably helped me to walk away from WT without any problem. JW hates college education because it teaches criticial thinking, independence, analysis, rationalism, and concept of proof. I wish my sibling would have follow my path, but she made the choice and pays with it until today.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

A CO's wife tried to get me to quit engineering school and go to bethel to "complete" my degree. I'm sure that "completing my degree" would have included being an all fours scrubbing people's shit out of toilets for a while instead of studying. Needless to say, I didn't agree to that.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

What a cult. looking down on and talking people out of taking college education that can better their lives. In some cases the chance at higher education was even free. Only just to follow the Governing Body and be encouraged to peddle Watchtower magazines fulltime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit