Dressed for Failure--drab colors in dress code

by WTWizard 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I noticed that, especially for men, that they are required to dress in drab colors for boasting sessions and in field circus. Men are supposed to wear dirty colored suits--dark gray, muddy brown, black, and off-shades of maroon, forest green, and navy/midnight blue seem to be most common. They get hounded if they wear something in a "loud" color--meaning anything that is near one of the major points in the rainbow and near saturation (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or violet is most likely to result in a major hounding). And those white dress shirts--all that shows me is that they lack any kind of appreciation for colors. A tan or pale yellow shirt go well with anything in the brown family, and pale yellow goes well with light blue. Light blue shirts and anything in the blue family go well. They also go well with any suit in the green family. All that wearing a white shirt will do is show that you are afraid of offending anyone, which means you cannot please anyone either.

Accessories are also boring and drab colors. I noticed that most field circus bags are either black, gray, some shade of brown, or burgundy. Whatever happened to canvas? Seems leather, or fake leather, in one of those colors, is almost universal. Just try getting a durable canvas or nylon bag in a pure shade of blue or red, and see how long it takes for Brother Hounder to pan it. Yellow is even worse.

Umbrellas also seem to fit this censorship. Anyone ever see anyone in field circus with a yellow or bright red umbrella? I never did--black, gray, or a drab shade of brown seemed to be most common. This is not just a fashion issue. If you are crossing a road, a yellow umbrella is safer in rainy conditions. It is much easier to see a yellow umbrella in the rain than a gray one. Not to mention that most of the ones I have seen were such cheap crap that I would hope for a nice gust of wind to blow them inside out and detach the canopy from the frame, ruining it.

Some even get picky with footwear. Men need black dress shoes. Why? And why a dark sock? What is so sacred about these navy blue, black, muddy brown, puke green, or dark gray that everything a witless carries must be one of those colors? At least the "sisters" get away with a wider latitude of colors for their dresses and skirts, but even they can be hounded if they dress in too many primary colors.

Why? I understand it's because it's bad luck to dress with too many dirty colors. Pure colors send positive vibrations. A nice red bag can send vibrations that attract others. Yellow tends to cheer up people, and that is especially true if it is raining out. Bright blues and greens also send calming vibrations, and green (and gold) tend to attract wealth. However, black tends to attract bad things--angels that are always out to fight against us getting anything nice. White (as in white dress shirts) tends to repel most things, including opportunities for good vibrations. (Though you may wish to wear white in summer, when the sun is hot, since white also repels heat.) Gray is among the worst, since that attracts bad luck. Muddy colors, and that includes muddy midnight blue, off maroon, muddy brown, dark green that is mixed with brown, and light shades of gray mixed with other colors, also attract bad luck and repel anything good. Yet, try going to the REJECT Astaroth Party with a bright green or blue suit, a nice bright green or blue (or yellow, if you are wearing a blue suit) shirt, a bright red book bag in nylon, and if it is raining, a bright yellow umbrella. Try going to a boasting session wearing a bright red suit and violet shirt. Or, one rainy Monday, try going in field circus with a bright red nylon bag, a bright yellow umbrella, and bright blue suit and green shirt (bright green, not washed out) and a violet tie and see how long it takes for the hounders to make you change.

• subytrek
    subytrek

Good observation. It seems like we were always dressed to go to a funeral. And anytime a brother wore a suit that was out of the norm like more colorful or a different cut or different tie he was counseled and not given any privileges. Looking back, I should have noticed that we were really required to wear uniforms so that no one stood out. The org really does try to take the fun out of everything.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

I disagree completely with everything you claim. You sound very depressed.

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

How's this: I once worre my leather sport / suit coat to an elder's meeting after an assembly session and the jerk conducting the meeting (Louis Razor) told the group that all jackets need to match the slacks...no different colors or fabrics. So I figured I needed to go out and buy some leather slacks to match. What a bunch of idiots. The thought of wearing anything but shorts, pullovers, and flip-flops now makes me feel nausea.Good riddance to bad clothes.

• AnneB
    AnneB

So, Mr Wizard, what would you say is a better way for the males to dress for field service, giving talks, attending meetings? Be specific.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

We had an ex elder who wore corduroy trousers and a sports jacket deliberately so he couldn't go on the platform.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

All I know is I have not worn a tie in 3 years and I love it. I hated those things. Forced to wear one since I was a small child. I could care less what color it was. Just give me my blue jeans and a nice shirt I am happy. Still Totally ADD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This really wasn't a thing where I lived; JWs dressed well (certainly better than Mormon missionaries, anyway ).

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

remembering bro. dent of the lime green poly suits and purple shirts=well business colors dont seem so bad. i like a white shirt. specially the embroidered mexican ones. I think avoiding a pimped out look isn't a bad thing,but mandatory (anything) ties and hose and skirt lengths are silly.RULES are controlling and I don't like that at all when it's adults who are mandating to other adults that they are not paying or supporting in any way.

Peer pressure to be modest happens to every new christian who doesn't get that dressing like a 'ho is generally inappropriate, but beyond that its not an elders business.If it keeps one off the stage though, it seems a great way to step down from privileges without getting into actual trouble. Wear those cords and your skirt just a little short or your shirt a bit loud.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Don't belive the whole "dress code" thing was official but we were told to be MODEST in dress and appearance...otherwise we would reflect badly on...the wts? Other versions of this were not to distract the householder from our message by our worldly clothes, as we had to be "higher" than church-goers. yadda yadda blah blah blah

Just another form of control.

Where we live, wearing "ho" clothes has never kept anyone off the stage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit