Have you heard Judge Rutherford give a sermon?

by Terry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I always thought he sounded like a jerk. Especially after realizing that he didn't have a clue.

DD

• Splash
    Splash

We are getting the 21st century version - streaming and videos of the modern day FDS.

Splash.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Rutherford sure knew how to turn up the self supporting bullshit, in the Religion talk he said he warned Europe 3 years prior

before WW2 (1939) was going to break out..

Exploiting once again that mankind is living in the end times prophesied in the bible.

This kind of exploitive fear mongering still goes on today in the WTS. and really is the foundation to what built up

this corrupt religious publishing house. Capturing the attention of the public with a conniving intent toward literature

proliferation by exploiting the basic belief in the bible is what all fear mongering Charlatans do, its just that some

are more successful than others.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Rutherford died not long before I was first exposed to the Witnesses. I listened to all the old records. He had two styles of preaching. The door-step records are low-key and sound rational. The convention discurses are more dramatic. I don't know what to think about Rutherford. The authors that wrote A Separate Identity should write a Rutherford biography. I'd read it.

There is one set of Knorr rcordings. Peace Can it Last. Even when an active Witness, I had mixed feelings about Knorr. He could be charming. I watched him take time out of a very busy, stressful schedule to talk with an older Witness. He talked to the man until he'd had his say and showed no impatience at all. On the other hand, he could be pointed, nearly abusive to others, including traveling brothers. He was dictatorial. Sometimes intollerant. Sometimes so patient that it went beyond anything one could expect. I never knew which Knorr I was dealing with. And yes, that means I'm prolly old enough to be your great grandfather.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I should add that while I enjoy this site, I don't know how much longer I will post here. I'm going blind slowly. Not really unexpected at my age. So with a very large screen and enlargment for sight challenged, I don't see the computer screen very clearly. If I stop showing up, know that while some of you irritate the devil out of me, I care deeply for everyone hurt by the Watchtower.

read this book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/b-w-schulz/a-separate-identity-organizational-identity-among-readers-of-zions-watch-tower-1870-1887/paperback/product-21546337.html

• BU2B
    BU2B

I had a Cd-ROm once of many Rutherford discourses. He was a good, charismatic speaker who sounded smooth but at the end of the day he was either delusional, or a lying con man.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Wow Old Goat!

You must be very ancient of days...

Take care!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Rutherford sounds a little like George C. Wallace.

Face the Facts and Fill the Earth were two of the talks Ray Franz mentioned in the 2nd chapter of COC.

The talks were given in London, England, in 1938, and were transmitted by wire to various convention sites wherein Franz was a participant.

Franz was 16 years old at the time and was about to embark on a course of full-time service as a pioneer.

SMH.

Edit: Thanks, Terry.

• Terry
    Terry

I think certain professions attract a certain personality type.

C.T.Russell and J.F.Rutherford were two sides of the same coin and an early example of "good cop, bad cop."

Russell came across as a sweet man, but when you investigate closely--very closely--his treatment (emotional abuse) of his

wife Maria, a clearer picture emerges much more similar to J.F. Rutherford.

Rutherford was in love with his OWN ideas and felt everybody in the world should have been, too.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It makes for an interesting sociological behavioral study in investigated what drove both C Russell and J Rutherford

and what they actually did that lured so many people to be directly subservient toward those actions of these men.

Personally I think it was more about public notoriety and building up a personal self identity of themselves that drove these men

..... ego and narcissism fits well with these two.

It wasn't really about the product they were selling it was more about who was selling the product and the entailing cultivating power their

endeavors were producing toward themselves.

Russell and Rutherford could have never achieved what they did for themselves by simply being a clothing store owner or a lawyer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit