Books!

by dynamiterose77 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

A few weeks ago I read a book that was absolutely forbidden when I was a witness, Dennis Wheatleys The Devil Rides Out which is about satanists. Turned out to be very silly but it was something I just wanted to do because I can.

bemused I'm reading Midnight's Children. Goes on a bit doesn't he! It's about the Indian partition in 1947. It's taken him 200 pages just to get to 1947, but I am enjoying it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Salman Rushdie has a special gift for writing. His books are a pleasure to read. He makes English musical. Imagine all the years he had to spend undercover in fear of losing his life. I doubt if he is free now.

• done4good
    done4good

Even as a JW I was a voracious reader, (I am sure to some degree that did not help my cause there ;-)

While good pieces of fiction exist that we can learn from, I lean towards non-fiction of many different flavors. Physics, biology, psychology, history, sociology, economics, politics, etc.

Currently reading a great book on psychology on the NYT best seller list, Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman. This one really is taking some time to get through, especially with much of the required reading I am trying to get this semester for school. Looking forward to May.

d4g

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have read since I was a child, books were my favorite escape. It's not like I read anything intellectual for the most part, but any reading will open up the mind a bit, I average about two book a week. I knew a JW who told me that she never read any magazines but the Watchtower and Awake. I honestly didn't know how to respond to that, I didn't see that as anything to be proud of, I couldn't imagine limiting myself to that extent.

Of the classics I like Steinbeck and Hemingway. I tend towards mysteries, my favorite contemporary writer is Sue Grafton.

• compound complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit