The WT and it's views on depression.

by quellycatface 20 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

As a few of you may remember, I suffer from bipolar.

When working at the UK Home Office, I was signed off by my doctor with depression and anxiety.

In the space of 11 months I was assessed by 2 home office doctors, both diagnosing me as unfit for work. I eventually left.

How therefore, can stupid little people in the KH say you'll be better doing FS, ministry school and being regular at meetings??

They have to be the most un-empathetic bunch of people on the planet. Do they also think they know more than qualified doctors??

Any similar experiences with depression??

My heart goes out to those who suffer this illness.

• Splash
    Splash

Suffering with grief? Depression? Illness? Old age? Unemployment? Abuse at home? Family problems?

The WT has a single solution to every problem: Do More!

And if you aren't suffering at all then you should also Do More!

Splash

• snowbird
    snowbird

*raises hand*

I'm on disability for depression and anxiety.

It is a beast!

Does anyone remember the account in the WT or Awake of a German convert whose mate left him and took their child because he decided to become a JW?

This would have been during the early or mid-90's, I believe.

The account stated that he was so disheartened by this that he used to bite his lips and grip his briefcase so tightly while in field service.

I often think of him and pray that he sought professional help.

Sylvia

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Quelly, unfortunately they just parrot what they've been taught. There are no emotional factors at work in them as the borg has turned them off. There is just no way you can walk the party line and feel true human emotion for others.

My heart goes out to you and Sylvia and all others who are suffering. You are loved!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks to both of you.

Sylvia

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Yes, thank you for that. Love you guys too.

At my local church, there are always prayers for those who are sick, depressed and low in spirit. Also in my hubs RC church. "Christendom" seem alot more sympathetic to these ailments and expect nothing in return.

Enjoy Sunday.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thirty years ago they said in the Watchtower that antidepressants were addictive and you should try and manage without them. Get outside and 'dig in the dirt' was their advice. I can't even express the pain of depression for five years without medication. Contrast that with when my parents died and I had depression. I took SSRIs (antidepressants) for just five months and I was better. Never been addicted to them, never needed them since, not even when my husband died. F**k the Watchtower.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Xant.

There is a prevailing notion in the Black community that we women are strong enough to handle anything, that seeking help for depression is a "White" thing.

I say screw that.

Lexapro and Abilify have brought me a mighty long way.

Sylvia

• wasblind
    wasblind

Syl

So true, Back in the day black folks in my neck of the woods called 'em " Nerve pills "

The very ones who sought solace at the bottom of a bottle

probably needed treatment for depression instead

I found out that there were six sisters on depression meds in the Hall I attended

Those are the only ones I found out about, I'm sure there were more

How can you not be depressed in a religion that preaches doomsday

day in and day out

If I hada stayed, a pill for depression woulda been added to my mornin' regiment

Not becuase of a chemical imbalance or anything else that can cause depression

but in order to cope bein' a Jehovah's Witness..

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Wuz.

You never fail to deliver, do you?

Our papa was a stone alcoholic, so I know exactly what you mean.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit