If you Believe in the Lord's Supper

by designs 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• barry
    barry

My family attend a low anglican church we have communion once a month and have grapejuice in individual cups. We have ordinary bread and best of all there is great coffee. In fact I will be down at the church in half an hour from now its my job to prepare the coffee today.

• designs
    designs

Do any of you attend a Service where the priest or minister says "Body of Christ" and "Blood of Christ" or Corpus Christi.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes, whenever they hand me the bread they say 'the body of christ, broken for you' and then with the wine 'the blood of christ, shed for you' which is common in Anglican services.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

I do not attend any service with a church or congregation.

I celebrate in my own house.

Revelation 3:19-20

"‘All those for whom I have affection I reprove and discipline. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20  Look! I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into his [house] and take the evening meal with him.

Wine and bread.

Did not feel any reason to join yet another denomination after I was disfellowshipped because of what Paul said to the Romans while quoting Hosea:

Romans 9:26

and in the place where it was said to them, ‘YOU are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’"

[Name of person] is no longer a Jehovah's Witness --- ‘YOU are not my people,’

It's a done deal.

abe

• jgnat
    jgnat

BOTR, I can pretty well guarantee that the grape juice got started with the Pentecostal/Evangelical branch of Christendom during prohibition. Alcohol was Satan's drink, destroying families and lives. What the teetotalers (tea total, get it?) could not have anticipated was that the "solution", prohibition, was even worse.

Abstinence Society

• designs
    designs

SDA's have always refrained from any alcohol, that dates to the 1840s.

• barry
    barry

Ellen white the SDA prophet had a addiction to vinegar which in the 19 century was made with a large portion of whisky. The symtoms she describes are withdrawl symtons of Alcoholism. She describes feeling as if she would die during the weeks of withdrawl. The Whites always had alcohol in their home.

• Patrick45
    Patrick45

I intend to go, to drink and to eat. Does anyone have the 2014 talk outline? It would be great to be prepared and point to the flaws beforehand.

• designs
    designs

Barry- what is the source you are referencing.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There was an ugly incident at a church in midtown. I ended up paying a fortune in taxi fare to complain to the bishop. His aide spoke with me. Receiving communion was very difficult. Although the cathedral is known for ecumenical nature, no one explained what communion meant or requirements. They said all were welcome. Coming from the spartan and ditsy JW tradition, I had no clue when to bow, kneel, cross myself. After about two years, I wanted to receive communion. I did not know what to do with my hands. It was impossible to see from where the congregation sits. I used to stretch my neck around to get a good view but it all happened so fast. The Witnesses were such sticklers for rules. I was terrified of the emblems at Memorial time. My parents made it clear to not touch the emblems. It was a gradual process. The clergy would stand by the doors to talk to people. I had no clue what you said to them. So I hid in the ladies' room until they left. The place is immense so no one noticed me. Finally, I said I was tired of being afraid. I never saw anyone disfellowshiped. It was scary the first time I received communion. I lived.

I could never get a straight answer about belief from any priest. It took me a while to realize why. I had to read histories of the church and English history to understand. Oh, they once read about not receiving communion if some strange language. It was dropped. The only time I heard anyone get in trouble was when seminary women held a feminist service. It was daring at the time. Some goofy male seminarian wanted to attend and was told he could not b/c it was a woman's service. The woman who told him he could not attend was in serious trouble. What a contrast with the Witnesses.

Coffee hour is fun. The Witnesses could use an agape form of service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit