My personal movie review: Darren Aronofsky's NOAH

by Terry 49 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I liked the part where the Smurf got up in the middle of the Flood and walked out of The Ark.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, since jews originally compiled the bible stories, some of which they took from the surrounding pagans, who better to turn it into modern medium than a modern jew.

S

• watson
    watson

Thanks for the review Terry.

Although I respect your intellect, I whole heartedly disagree with your take on this one.

As a non fundamentalist, I think the story in the bible is pretty incredible, and could have been told as is, or close. Some liberties with the story, fine, some brutality, gore, some blue filters on the lense, but come on...why not just call him "Bill", and write your own story.

Other than that, the movie was poorly cast. (I like Jennifer Connelly, but wrong. Love Anthony Hopkins, but what a waste of talent).

CGI was horrible.

I still advise to not waste your time on this one. Wait till it comes out on DVD if you just can't resist.

Watson

• Heaven
    Heaven

Sorry... any sort of religious film tends to make me gag ... had difficulty watching the trailers.

I opted for awesomely ripped Chris Evans instead... oh yeeeaaahhhh!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The movie is great for helping prove the falsehood of the Old Testament.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I agree with Mr Terry most of the time but must say I didn't like the movie.

• Terry
    Terry

Keep in mind that I am now 67 and have had the opportunity to live a pretty full life since leaving the Jehovah's Witness mind fu*k.

I was 30 when I was DF'd and in the 47 years which followed I did not even realize for ten of those years I WAS STILL CAPTIVE.

How?

I had been conditioned.

To do what?

TO REACT automatically.

To what?

TO IMMEDIATELY REJECT anything which did not match Watch Tower "truth."

It took me another 10 years after that realization to be able to find the hidden transmitter in my brain (no, not literally:) and disable it.

Now I can listen and watch anything--even a movie which contains Bible references--and simply take it as a movie WITHOUT AUTOMATIC response

kicking in.

I don't expect any of you folks to think the same way I do and I respect your evaluations and taste.

I simply thought the movie was much more effective as a story of a family struggling with life and death and religious duty. Period.

The mythical elements were what you tend to find in allegory, fiction and morality tales.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I understand, and appreciate what you are saying, Terry.

QB

• watson
    watson

Well, when you put it THAT way, I can see why you liked it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I appreciate the quality of your thoughtful review Terry, but I have to say that I would disagree with your opinion of this film. I found it slow, uninspiring and unpleasant - but we are all different ......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit