Largest Genome Ever Sequenced - and it's 82% Junk

by cofty 37 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

By developing new techniques, a team of scientists led by David Neale at the University of California have succeeded in sequencing the genome of the loblolly pine Pinus taeda.

The genome is 16 billion base pairs long - 7 times larger than the human genome. So why does it take so much DNA to make a tree? Well it turns out it doesn't.

The new sequence confirmed that the loblolly genome is so large because it is crammed full of invasive DNA elements that copied themselves around the genome. Approximately 82% of the genome is made up of these and other repetitive fragments of sequence.

Read more here...

here...

and here ...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Interesting. I wonder if there is a correlation to quantity of junk DNA and survivability in an enviroment. Junk DNA can be adopted in enviromental changes, the junk DNA is an obvious source for potentially useful mutations. I wonder if the organisms with considerable junk DNA correspond to a lengthy existence on earth in many enviroments?

• DJS
    DJS

Snare,

That's exactly what I was thinking. From a management standpoint, a similar "DNA" for corporations (and individuals within corporations) is "change or die." I actually did a research report on this years ago. Companies and individuals more capable (Junk DNA???) of quickly changing and adapting to workplace changes more often thrive. Others wither, leave or are replaced. Valid hypothesis. You've given me an idea for my doctoral dissertation. Thanks!

• cofty
    cofty

Random gene copying seems to provide a sort of genetic scrapyard of potentially useful stuff. Our tri-colour vision is a result of gene duplication followed by mutation that fine tuned the copies for specific wavelengths.

I think this pine tree has overdone it though. Its like the tree version of "The Hoarder Next Door"

• KateWild
    KateWild

cofty what is your point? Are you saying that a designer would not design DNA with so much junk DNA?

Humans use only a fraction of our brains, I don't see it as junk or pointless. Science has yet to discover what the junk DNA is if in fact it is junk, and yet to discover how we can use our brains to the full. Kate xx

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Humans use only a fraction of our brains

It's amazing how some myths just never die....

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think this pine tree has overdone it though. Its like the tree version of "The Hoarder Next Door"

I know some JWs like this.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks ADCS, I am still deprogrming aren't I. I just looked it up and realise it's a commonly repeated myth. Good point. Kate xx

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

You're welcome, KW. Actually, the "we use only 10% of our brain" nonsense has been promoted by WT, but a JW will never verify that info. one way or the other. If it's in WT literature, it must be true.

The fact that you immediately went and looked it up to get an answer says a lot

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

"ever eat a pine tree"

Euell Gibbons

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit