The best explanation of Matthew 24 and 'This Generation', that I've read so far

by Island Man 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

I think the linked article from that Boreans site is the best guess

Not at all. The simplest answer is that Jesus was talking pish.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The best explanation is that when Jesus talked about this generation, he was referring to those physically alive with him who would see Jerusalem destroyed. And it did come true exactly as foretold.

• cofty
    cofty

Guessing that Rome had it in for Israel didn't take a genius. I predict Russia might attack Kiev - does that make me the son of god?

The more abitious part of Jesus prognostications turned out to be a lie.

• Viviane
    Viviane

And it did come true exactly as foretold.

There is no proof he actually said that.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Interesting comments.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The best explanation is that when Jesus talked about this generation, he was referring to those physically alive with him who would see Jerusalem destroyed. And it did come true exactly as foretold.

This. No more, no less. There is not the slightest reason to believe he was referring to some secondary fulfillment millennia later.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes the disciples mixed/related the destruction of the temple with final judgment.

No, the best explanation I can see is that Jesus separated the two judgments, both in time and signs. Up to and including verse 35 relates to Christ's coming in judgement on Jerusalem, from 35 on to an unknowable day, impossible of anticipation, affecting the entire world, where fleeing to the hills around any city was not an option.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Vanderhoven7:

Your collation on the first page represents my view also.

Take Care

• bemused
    bemused

I remember years ago when my newly converted relative was harping on ad nauseam about this gospel passage I decided I should have a look. I was surprised because, reading without any preconceptions, the meaning seemed obvious and I just couldn't see what the fuss was about. It seemed clear to me (and still does) that the generation Jesus was talking about was the then current generation, the people alive with him. As several others have said, that is by far the best explanation of Matthew 24.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit