Does anyone remember the excuse they used in 1979-1980

by Crazyguy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Back in 79-80 they came out with another WT stating quite clearly that Jesus was not the mediator for most JW's and of course this upset quite a few and some asked "If Jesus is not my mediator then how does god hear my prayers?' Does anyone remember what they said to answer this question?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I don't remember that are you sure it was then? I remember thinking Jesus was my mediator when I prayed and I left in '89. There was something in the Watchtower about asking to feel Jesus' presence in your prayers, a bit weird.

• blondie
    blondie

Here is a QFR from 1979:

*** w79 4/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

● Is Jesus the “mediator” only for anointed Christians?

The term “mediator” occurs just six times in the Christian Greek Scriptures and Scripturally is always used regarding a formal covenant.

Moses was the “mediator” of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel. (Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the “mediator of a new covenant” between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the “Israel of God” that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. (Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the “one mediator between God and men.” (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word “mediator” in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is “mediator.” So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the “mediator” only for anointed Christians.

The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The “great crowd” of “other sheep” that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the “little flock” of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge. For more detailed information, see Aid to Bible Understanding, pages 1129 and 1130 under “Mediator”; also God’s “Eternal Purpose” Now Triumphing for Man’s Good, page 160, paragraph 10; also The Watchtower issues of February 15, 1966, pages 105 through 123; November 15, 1972, pages 685 and 686, under the subheading “Leading the Way to a New Covenant”; and April 1, 1973, pages 198 and 199, under the subheading “The New Covenant.”

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I always pray thru the faithful slave like a good Witness.

• jam
    jam

I remember being told, do not close your prayer with "In

Jesus name". That should have been a wake up call. He

never gave me an explanation why. What was so weird, so

it's Ok to close your prayer, "in the name of Jehovah"...

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Wait wait what. Jam is that still true today? Ever since I started going to the kh about 7/8 years ago they've always prayed in Jesus' name

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It was in Jesus' name back in ancient days.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w71 10/15 p. 639 What Do You Want to Do? ***

You have the assurance from God’s Word that if you sincerely “keep on seeking” the truth you will find it. (Matt. 7:7) If you pray to Jehovah God in Jesus’ name, asking Him to help you find the right way, you will be answered.

*** w75 8/1 p. 455 Divine Backing Removes Fear ***

Christ is therefore the central or key figure in the outworking of all Jehovah’s purposes. When we pray to God in Jesus’ name, we can say “Amen,” being assured that we will have divine backing in answer to the things requested according to God’s will. (Rev. 3:14)

*** w73 2/15 p. 104 Why Does “Faith in the Name” of Jesus Christ Bring Life? ***

When we pray in Jesus’ “name,” therefore, this means we are making an appeal to his authority. We are petitioning that his power and position and benefits as Chief Agent of life be exercised on our behalf, making our prayer acceptable to the Sovereign Ruler, Jehovah God.

w08 2/1 Why Pray in Jesus’ Name? ***More Than Just a Habit

Yes, we must offer our prayers in Jesus’ name if we want them to be heard by Jehovah. (John 14:13, 14) But we never want to repeat the phrase “in Jesus’ name” purely out of habit. Why not?

Consider an illustration. When you receive a letter from a businessman, it may conclude with a perfunctory “sincerely yours.” Do you feel that this is a genuine expression of the businessman’s feelings, or is he just conforming to a standard of letter-writing etiquette? Really, the use of Jesus’ name in our prayers needs to be more meaningful than the complimentary closing of a business letter. Though we are to “pray incessantly,” we are to do so with our “whole heart,” not in a mechanical manner.—1 Thessalonians 5:17; Psalm 119:145.

How can you avoid using the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as a mere token expression? Why not meditate on the heartwarming qualities of Jesus? Think about what he has already done and is willing to do for you. In prayer, thank Jehovah and praise him for the wonderful way he has used his Son. As you do, you will become more confident of Jesus’ promise: “If you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name.”—John 16:23.

[Footnote]

According to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, the Greek word translated “name” can refer to “all that a name implies, of authority, character, rank, majesty, power, [and] excellence.”

*** w02 4/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Is it proper to approach God in prayer without saying something like “in Jesus’ name”?

The Bible shows that Christians desiring to approach Jehovah in prayer ought to do so in Jesus’ name. Jesus told his disciples: “No one comes to the Father except through me.” He added: “Whatever it is that you ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.”—John 14:6, 13, 14.

Referring to Jesus’ unique position, the Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature says: “The object of prayer is God alone, through Jesus Christ as the Mediator. All supplications, therefore, to saints or angels are not only useless, but blasphemous. All worship of the creature, however exalted that creature is, is idolatry, and is strictly prohibited in the sacred law of God.”

What if someone, after a very rewarding experience, says, “Thank you Jehovah” without adding “in Jesus’ name”? Would this be improper? Not necessarily. Suppose a Christian meets a sudden danger and cries out: “Help me, Jehovah!” God would hardly refuse to help because his servant did not say “in Jesus’ name.”

It should be noted, however, that simply speaking out loud even to God does not in itself constitute a prayer. For example, after he was judged by Jehovah for killing his brother Abel, Cain said: “My punishment for error is too great to carry. Here you are actually driving me this day from off the surface of the ground, and from your face I shall be concealed; and I must become a wanderer and fugitive on the earth, and it is certain that anyone finding me will kill me.” (Genesis 4:13, 14) Though Cain addressed his comments to Jehovah, his emotional outburst was a complaint about the bitter fruitage of sin.

The Bible tells us: “God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.” Casually addressing the Most High as if he were a mere human would definitely show a lack of humility. (James 4:6; Psalm 47:2; Revelation 14:7) It would also be disrespectful to know what God’s Word says about Jesus’ role and yet intentionally pray without recognition of Jesus Christ.—Luke 1:32, 33.

This is not to say that Jehovah expects a particular style or set formula when we pray. A key factor is a person’s heart condition. (1 Samuel 16:7) In the first century C.E., a Roman army officer named Cornelius “made supplication to God continually.” Cornelius, an uncircumcised Gentile, was not dedicated to Jehovah. Though it is unlikely that he offered his prayers in Jesus’ name, they “ascended as a remembrance before God.” Why? Because “the examiner of hearts,” saw that Cornelius was “a devout man and one fearing God.” (Acts 10:2, 4; Proverbs 17:3) Upon gaining knowledge of “Jesus who was from Nazareth,” Cornelius received holy spirit and became a baptized disciple of Jesus.—Acts 10:30-48.

In the final analysis, it is not for humans to decide which prayers God hears. If a Christian on occasion made an utterance to God and overlooked using such an expression as “in Jesus’ name,” there would be no need for him to burden himself with guilt. Jehovah is fully aware of our limitations and wants to help us. (Psalm 103:12-14) We can rest assured that if we exercise faith in “the Son of God . . . , no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:13, 14) Especially when representing others in public prayer, however, true Christians acknowledge the Scripturally outlined role that Jesus occupies in Jehovah’s purpose. And they obediently endeavor to honor Jesus by directing prayers to God through him.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I thought in COC the book Franz wrote he said that when he was approached by someone asking this question he answered in some other way and not to use Jesus name? Not sure.

• jam
    jam

Things you learn when you become a JW. LOL

Before I became a JW I thought I was praying too God,

but know. There are a list of instruction how to pray.

As a child I would go in the closet and pray to God, I was

unaware that you should pray in the name of the faithful slave class.

So for those of you that still attend, how do the brothers

close their prayer to day???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit