I'm a bit confused actually.

by quellycatface 21 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

LisaRose, yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.

So used to the misery of the Kh and sub-standard talks. I enjoy educational talks but not jw.org propaganda.I read English at Uni, so love information and literature.

I also LOVE singing, nice uplifting hymns. Stained glass, icons, religous art.

Do you reckon I lean more towards Catholicism?? My Dad was a Catholic and he took me to Mass on high days and holidays.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

emeth.... you need to get out more.... & would that be the new 13% reduced bible.....serious indeed.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Poor Emeth. We must not mock the afflicted though.

• Laika
    Laika

I understand. There is nothing worse than rapping in Church.

• Giordano
    Giordano

God's natural language is silence. Everything we know about god and how to worship is based on rather bad translations of that silence. In other words it's been made up through out mankind's history. To aid us in this process religion is always ready to fill the vacum of god's silence with fallacy.

When a believer leaves the WT construct and wants to continue beliving it can be a strain to find a spiritual landing place and it may be that it is not the truth we desire as much as a comfortable belief. Unfortunately that means we must continue to accept fallacies.

Has anyone ever found a religion or blief system that wasn't made up of fallacies? If you enjoy Presumption, Weak Inference, Distraction, Ambiguity, Intentional Deception and Ignorance there is a church out there that will serve that up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies

"Fallacies of presumption fail to prove the conclusion by assuming the conclusion in the proof.

Fallacies of weak inference fail to prove the conclusion due to insufficient evidence.

Fallacies of distraction fail to prove the conclusion due to irrelevant evidence, like emotion.

Fallacies of ambiguity fail to prove the conclusion due to vagueness in words, phrases, or grammar. [ 5 ]

Some fallacies are committed intentionally (to manipulate or persuade by deception), others unintentionally due to carelessness or ignorance."

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think I recommended this before.

http://shipoffools.com/mystery/

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

quellycatface - " I'm a bit confused, actually."

It's not so bad, once you get used to it.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

some churches have both a traditional service and contemporary service (more time with modern music).

I've been to baptist and presbyterian so far, both updated from what JW's think of them as. (Baptist not preaching you go to hell, etc, much more laid back now). The baptist one had a weekly home bible study, which was better than the JW version I had been to, it was real discussion on the bible and people would have differing opinions of certain scriptures and it was 'okay'. Unlike the JW where if you don't have the identical and in agreement there is a big problem.

I'd say go to a non denominational, baptist, presbyterian, and look up some others as well. Go to a different one each week until you find one that feels just right.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Try an Episcopal Church. Sounds like they might be right up your alley.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

A C of E rap song? Not very Anglican. If it happened at my churches, people would walk over to the next C of E. As a decades long Episcopalian, I would suggest that if you like the basics of C of E to parish shop. I did and still do. Jewish friends encouraged me. Their parents must pay for High Holy Day tickets. It is a major expense. They want a temple or synagogue where they feel comfortable. In fact, many people told me their parents hunted for years before finding a place. Lower NY is drowning in C of E churches. A few blocks can give you a whole different experience.

Even after I found a church home, I attended other parishes depending on my mood. I attended other denominations, too. My style was crimped when I moved to a rural area that was not an Anglican stronghold. Oh, there were different cultures within a single church depending on the service time. Older people tend to attend the earlier Rite I traditional services to avoid the children at the main service. There are even inside jokes about the differences in parishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit