Peter in Babylon? - 1 Peter 5:13

by Bobcat 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

That's really all there is to it.

Points of view which we can accept or reject.

I like that.

Sylvia

• kaik
    kaik

Roman Empire and Parthia had rather hostile relationship in which Parthia faced a defensive role of much stronger opponent, but at least fighting on its own territory. Roman Empire had several times sacked Parthian capitals as far as Susa in present day Iran, but in general the defensive boundary between these two empires was around river Eufrates. The situation between these two powerhouses normalized during Nero; Armenia became a client kigndom of Rome and Nero was considered as a great diplomat and peacemaker in his time. It is also interested to know that Nero had huge Persian following and had several of them as advisers and mages in his court.

If Peter lived during the time of Nero, he could without problem travel between these two empires. Rome did not wage another round of wars with Parthia until the period of Five Good Emperors. I am not sure which belief is more correct, if it comes to city of Rome or province of Parthia where Babylon was located. I read both arguments. It is possible that Peter went eastwards, especially when large Jewish community existed in Parthian empire. It is also possible that he went to Rome and considered it as new round of Jewish exile following the Jewish war. However, there is issue with it because Peter suppose to die during Nero reign, and could not be aware of massive population transfers after the death of Nero and defeat of the Jewish war.

When it comes to Revelation, there are also several opinions where the book is dated in prior destruction of temple, afterwards, or it was written in two pieces and eventually put together as one book. Scholars are not unified on this opinion and we as laiks would only guess.

• kaik
    kaik

If anyone wants to read Josephus I would recommend getting it from Loeb Classical library with parallel Greek text.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

BOTR-

The man admitted to some despicable behavior that goes to basic character. It may have had something to do with Masada. Perhaps he cheated when they drew lots to commit suicide. I knew the details once upon a time.

1. Sorry, I have a few things I wanted to post today, so have not got time to track down the alleged 'defect' of Josephus. But, I recall it likely has to do with his switching allegiance from the Jews to the Romans.

2. The story of mass-suicide at Masada.

Many good scholars believe that the story of a mass suicide by Jews during the Roman seige of Masada, is just that - a good story.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well, I learned it was true. Of course, I was surrounded with Jewish students with good religious educations. There is a major problem with quoting Josephus as a source.

Does anyone recall the miniseries of Massada on TV around 1980? I believe Peter O'Toole was the Roman general. Somehow I grew up knowing about Massada from living in the NY area and I believe the Witnesses. My law firm office mate watched every episode. He mentioned it to me to make conversation one day. We usually knew the same background about things b/c we had similar interests. I mentioned the suicides. His face drained. He thought they were going to escape. I blew about 12 hours of TV for him.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember the show - I couldn't watch it.

Sylvia

• kaik
    kaik

WT published around 1990 story of Massada and how its relate to the Second Coming.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Before this thread goes the way of all threads, I want to thank everyone for their comments.

Take Care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit