Where Did All the Fun Times Go?

by Amazing 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I do remember some great times like that, though I must say that in my congregation we kept them going up all through the 80's.

I remember organizing any number of "large" gatherings, 100 folk from the congregation at least. One bro worked at an elementary school, and we would use the multi-purpose room there, complete with stage, or rent another room at the town hall. We had a bunch of costume parties, talent shows, a formal dance for the teens, and that sort of thing.

We had one party for the elderly in the cong in which we arranged the rented hall like an elegant restaurant. The older ones dressed for an evening out, the teens served as waitresses, we cooked a great meal and served them. One brother who loved big band music created an 'orchestra' that pretended to play to all this great old music and a bunch of us performed by 'lip synching' as Sinatra, Durante, Patty Page, etc., all of us dressed up.

It took a lot of time and effort, but it was fun as hell, and what great friendships it created. I was the last person in the cong. who was willing to organize stuff like that and take the responsibility. When I stopped doing it in the late 80's or early 90's when I stepped down, those fun times also stopped. There has not been a significant cong gathering in a dozen years in my old congregation. And it's smaller now than it was back then!
    Thanks for the memories!!

S4

• battman
    battman

The ARC of da covenant is long missing
    but relieved to hear that there is an ARC
    (Anal Retentive Class) in brooklyn. LOL

battman

• Prisca
    Prisca

Good subject, Amazing.

During the 70s, any wedding was a huge affair, where most, if not all, the local congregation was invited, plus others from neighbouring congs. A local town hall would be rented out, and a good time was had by all.

During the 80s, we still had the occasional congregational picnic, but it was increasingly becoming dependant upon a certain few individuals to organise them.

By the 90s, the Society was clamping down on congregational events, and progessively more pressure was being put upon those who organised any event, even a group going out to a restaurant to enjoy a simple meal. One friend of mine eventually gave up organising anything openly, as the elders were always on her back as to who would take responsibility for the group, blah blah blah.

It is no wonder the WTS is losing all its young people, when the only social activities possible are provided outside the Org, not inside it.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Agreeing with everyone here.....

I remember in the 80s we used to have Volleyball games, softball games....it's all gone now....like there's nothing left. Nothings important but going out in service to them, and they all hate it. No wonder they're all miserable.

Very, very sad.

ashi

• Simon
    Simon

I remember going to a party organised by everyone at the hall where each group did a little show (ours was 'Oliver') and it was good for us kids.

We also used to have the odd congregation outing to go hiking or to a park but gradually they became less and less.

Seemed like whatever people started doing for fun would become 'frowned upon' and had to be stopped.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I remember a pioneer sister organizing a rather semi-formal event at a hotel in Houston in the early 90's. Everyone who went to the event was asked to pay a small fee to defray the sizeable cost of hosting and catering the event. The event was a success and everyone appeared to have a good time.

Later that week I guess someone decided that they were "stumbled" evidently because they didn't have the resources to attend and the sister was hauled before the elders for soliciting money to defray the expenses. I remember her calling around asking all those who attended if they would like their money back. I have no idea how many people took advantage of the situation by getting their money back, but I never heard from that sister again.

All it takes is one person with an attitude, running to elders crying "he\she stumbled me because of this or that" to control the daily lives of anyone connected to the organization. The paranoia that goes inside of every congregation I've ever been in is apparent as soon as you hit the door no matter how many fake smiles you come across.

• Xander
    Xander

where each group did a little show (ours was 'Oliver')

LOL!

That's just too funny.

We did the exact same thing. Only, our show was "Pioneering After Armegeddon". Another skit was "How Many Fit in a Pioneer Van" where all the pioneer sisters piled into someone's mini-van (there were 12 of them). That one was filmed before hand, camera outside looking at the van such that you couldn't see in it. First, a couple sisters came out. Then a couple more. Then a few more, etc etc. Those in the audience who didn't know about it beforehand got a kick out of it.

But, but...'Oliver'...that's just, so....WORDLY....*shudders*

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Jewel
    Jewel

My brother (as in the male child of my mother and father <<G>>) says that the motivation of the GB is "sucking every ounce of joy out of life".

I think they have other kinds of fun (juggling prophecies, watching the light get brighter) but joy-sucking must rate up there...

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I read a watchtower publication recently that asked "Aren't Jehovah's people happiest when engaged in some christian activity like bible reading, field service or preparing for the next meeting?"

Yeah, that's what I call "fun".

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I can identify with this post, seems like the idea of having fun is tantamount to being a demon. The R&F nowdays just seem to meet in little groups at one anothers homes. I have a friend (still in) who thinks it's great to have brother and sister hate to have fun over to do the watchtower with. Gees can you believe it. In an old congregation in Spring Valley we had a brother who organized so much get togethers for the younger ones, basketball, football, softball etc and he definitely had the younger brothers and even sisters participating and helping out all they could not only in recreation, but also helping out at Kindgom Hall activities. When he got in a squabble with fellow elders, he left, and the fun left with him, it was no longer fun to be a witness, and if one took note of all the younger bros and sisters getting into trouble afterwards or just plain leaving they could tie it into Danny's leaving. I greatly appreciated him myself, My son said that it was no longer fun, just tedious boring and mind numbing and that's how he described the elders and ministerial servants there. They the witness have no congregational fun any more, Just small groups and if you aren't part of the cliche then you are a sage brush being blown by the wind all alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit