Suffering: the result of Adamic sin?

by confused 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• apostrate
    apostrate

Crazyguy,

I know that this may be getting off of the subject somewhat, but, hey, it's all speculation and imagination, right?

I am sure that most JW's including myself, were taught that in the New World when we will be "perfect", we will have a perfect sense of balance, therefore we would never fall down and break our arm, right?

If you think about it, even from a JW perspective, being perfect does not mean that mistakes, such as falling down, will not happen. After all, the body has the ability to heal itself. Scratch your finger and it will heal itself.

And who created the human body with that ability to heal itself? (Again, from a JW point of view) Jehovah, right?

And, when did Jehovah create the human body with this ability? Before sin came into play.

Now, why would Jehovah create perfect man and woman with the ability to heal themselves if they weren't designed to break in the first place?

Just another of those many unanswerable questions for JW's.

• cofty
  • startingover
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Here is a little thing to spring on them if you want to have a little fun...

Imagine Adam and Eve had remained perfect, had 30 children who all grew up, and then one of those children "sinned". Maybe they decided to grab a little of the forbidden fruit, or broke some other rule. So is that child executed? Or allowed to reproduce and create little "defective souls" who now start running around the earth?

Its the same problem that will exist in the supposed "paradise". Once everyone gets sick of endless fruit platters and petting panda bears, they are gonna start breaking the rules of paradise. What then? Executions every day at sundown for the sinners? Some paradise.

They might try to fight you with the "we will be perfect" card. Yet Adam and Eve were perfect right? Perfection and free will are incompatible. You can only have one or the other. Eventually "perfect" beings will break the rules, unless they are simply robots programmed without free will.

JWs never think this through to the logical conclusion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It wasn't until my late 20s that I realized everyone's definition of "perfection" was subjective at best, and completely nebulous at worst.

x

For old people, it's just being young again.

For young people, it's being able to ditch the dorky glasses, having the acne clear up, and becoming beautiful.

For the socially awkward, it's about becoming popular.

x

Hell, for me, it was about being right and never screwing up and making a mistake (and thusly being embarrassed - I hated that).

Looking back, I remember talking about this with an elder friend, and he in no uncertain terms told me how off-base I was; that "perfection" was about being "spiritually perfect". Needless to say, my dismay at the prospect of constantly making mistakes for an eternity was palpable.

Fortunately - for the sake of my sanity - I eventually came to the conclusion that there was no such thing as "perfection", and that even if there was, it was probably overrated, anyway (after all, Jesus was supposedly "perfect", and almost everybody hated that guy).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit