Suggestions for Governing Body 2.0

by FusionTheism 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

I realize many people on here are very angry at the Watchtower Society and/or Governing Body for various reasons, many of which are likely justified, at least to some extent. I also can totally understand the cynicism and pessimism I see from certain ones regarding the leaders of the Society.

I think one thing that's often forgotten or overlooked, however, is the fact that members of the Governing Body who've been "in the truth" for 30, 40, 50, 60 years, probably truly believe in this Organization. In my opinion, it's more likely that they believe what they teach instead of being liars who are intentionally deceiving everyone. I think we would've seen many different-looking things happen if the Society is simply lying and trying to make themselves look good.

They would've totally abandoned the Blood Doctrine and 1914 before now if they didn't believe in it.

I also want to give points and credit to this new "Governing Body 2.0" for publicly and repeatedly admitting that hundreds of the older doctrines taught by the former Governing Bodies were likely wrong or going beyond what is written in the Bible.

They also deserve credit for telling people to focus more on Jesus and the main points of His parables instead of getting lost worrying about details. I also like that they tell Witnesses that pretty much anything written before 2000 may be incorrect.

Perhaps the biggest change has been the fact that this GB has fully embraced and promoted the Internet and technology.

So here are my Suggestions to this Governing Body 2.0: (everyone, add your own suggestions!)

1. Lighten up on the shunning. This is the 21st Century. There are many legitimate alternative interpretations of those shunning Scriptures. There's no need to make mandatory severe shunning unless it's someone practicing something severely dangerous to the Congregation, such as child molestation, rape, murder, physical abuse, etc.
    2. Promote and reward free thought and expression. Don't punish or rebuke those who view certain Bible passages a differently than you do. Instead, look at it like you do with different cultures such as Native Americans. Celebrate the differences, don't scold them. Jehovah created everyone differently for a reason.
    3. If someone is openly speaking evil of the Governing Body, the Congregation, or Elders, or promoting atheism, then by all means, you have the right to excommunicate them. But don't separate or break up family relationships.
    4. Encourage deeper study of the Bible using other dictionaries and commentaries to compare with your own. Bring in a variety of views. Two or three pairs of eyeballs are always better than one.
    5. Be even more open and honest about the mistakes and misunderstandings made by the previous Governing Bodies and Society Presidents. People deeply appreciate integrity and honesty. You'll win the respect of many more people if you issue an apology/acknowledgment statement regarding some of your old teachings. It may upset and freak out a few now, but in the long run it will be much better for your public perception.
    6. Move toward making evolution and blood transfusions a matter of conscience and personal decision.
    7. Release new versions of older books that contain wrong teachings and misunderstandings.
    8. Allow actual Question-And-Answer sessions at your Watchtower Study, Public Talks, etc. Don't just have people read answers from a paragraph. Have Beroean Bible Studies!
    9. Here's a really novel idea! Solicit feedback on tough-to-interpret Bible verses from your Congregation Elders and members. Listen and consider their thoughts on Scriptures as you prayerfully examine them yourselves.
    10. Let everyone know in advance that this is a NEW Governing Body for a new era, and that you will be reviewing ALL PAST teachings to ensure that they are truthful, accurate, and don't go beyond what is written in the Bible. There are no sacred cows in Jehovah's Organization. But there is a new sheriff in town.
    11. Focus the Witnesses' attention and hearts on the love of Jehovah and His Son Jesus, and don't spend all your time talking about field service and preaching. If people are truly motivated by the love of Christ, their hearts will move them to tell others about Him without you constantly reminding them.
    12. Announce that you don't know for sure whether the number 144,000 is literal or not. Tell the Congregation members to listen to their spirit to see whether they desire heaven or earth. Don't discourage anyone from partaking of the Emblems.
    13. Admit that you aren't sure whether Daniel's explanation of the Great Tree had any secondary fulfillment after Nebuchadnezzar. Just point out any signs you see that you believe are fulfilling Jesus' Last Days prophecy.

Ways that I see the Governing Body can update their interpretation of"This Generation:"

1. Say that "this Generation" simply refers to all of the Anointed, and Jesus was saying there would always be some faithful Anointed Christians on earth. (Matthew 28:20)
    2. Say that "this Generation" refers to the entire Christian Congregation replacing Israel as God's "chosen race." (1 Peter 2:9)
    3. Say that "this Generation" only applied to the people living while Jesus was speaking, and this was fulfilled in 70 A.D. (Use their new Types/Antitypes Rule to justify this change)
    4. Say that "this Generation" begins with the Cry of Peace & Security/Outbreak of the Tribulation. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-5)
    5. Say that "this Generation" refers to wicked religious leaders/clergy such as the Pharisees. Jesus was saying unfortunately the clergy would always be with us until the Tribulation. (Acts 20:29)
    6. Say that "this Generation" refers to the foundation of the"Disgusting Thing" (United Nations) on October 24th, 1945, and that a generation is around 100 years.
    7. Say that "this Generation" was referring to the Jewish people. As part of God's unconditional promise to Abraham, God feels obligated to keep some Jews alive at all times so they have the opportunity to hear the Good News and be saved. (Romans 11)
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    FT, those suggestions would definitely make them more mainstream. Do they continue their hardline stance against 'false religion' or no?
  • FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

FayeDunaway,

I wouldn't see any problem with the Governing Body 2.0 continuing to point out major flaws in other religious groups, as long as it's not something hypocritical, where the Organization does the same flaw.

Also, they should never say members of other religions are going to perish because only Jesus is the Judge of the sheep and goats.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The present group of men who categorically state that they alone are God's channel on earth and must be obeyed, are not pro-active; they & their corporation hierarchy are re-active!

In other words, they are changing doctrines and their own history because "new light" is forcing them to; it's not "new light" from God, but "new light" via the Internet.

They know that the game is up - the Internet is being used to show up every lie and corruption which the Org has hidden behind since its inception, and now they are being forced to introduce change after change after change!

If any teaching or practice of the Org could result in them losing money/charitable status, watch and see how quickly the teaching/practice becomes "a matter of conscience"!

It's all about the cash!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Nice thread.

But, one thought on your comment of :

"I think one thing that's often forgotten or overlooked, however, is the fact that members of the Governing Body who've been "in the truth" for 30, 40, 50, 60 years, probably truly believe in this Organization. In my opinion, it's more likely that they believe what they teach instead of being liars who are intentionally deceiving everyone."

The problem with this is that if they put in a little more effort individually then they would have seen the flaws (as we have) with so many of the teachings. So, this actually makes them more accountable for not putting in "due diligence" and research before perpetuating the teachings to a whole new group of vulnerable and malleable people who think they "speak for God"

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

IMHO the org lies on purpose.

Too many lies to be chalked up to ignorance.

LIE LIES LYING and then have to gall to say 'The Truth'

F&%#ing liars!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

What is disposable with the gb, radical islam, deadly cults, and any kind of extremists. Is thats they believe they demonstrate their zeal for god by harming other, they learn this from their holy books, in Isreal the two witnesses to apostasy would have to be the first to stone the person to demonstrate their zeal for the desert god. So it's a loop of anger. Not just at them, it should start with whoever made up this deserert god, the book it was written in, then those that take it literal and hurt others. It's not if they believe it true or not. Is harmful.

I suggest googling images of stoning still going on in the middle east. a man or woman buried up to their ribs, arms stuck in the ground, head smashed and blood everywhere from zealots crushing them with stones. Now, that originated with your god, and if the laws allowed it, this gb 2.0 would have the same done to you just for visiting this website. Think about that for a minute.

• apostrate
    apostrate

Well, to sum it all up:

We've been wrong for over 130 years.

Christendom has been closer to "the truth" than we have.

We're basically a cult that is just after your money.

But, please pardon our dust. We're currently undergoing re-modeling for your convenience!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    You've completely rewritten the religion. There is simply no way they would make any of the changes you suggested because those are the things that the entire organization are built on. All of your suggestions center on reducing control but given their cult-like ways, control (and money) are really the only things they care about.
  • apostrate
    apostrate

They say a leopard can not change his spots. The WTS can make all the changes they want, I am still not going back.

They can apologize 'til the cows come home, I still wouldn't go back. I wouldn't go back if THEY PAID ME!

They could try to entice me with the promise of seven virgins and I still would not go back! Knowing the WTS the way I do, the seven virgins would likely be seven dudes!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit