When a JW relative came to visit . . . .

by skeeter1 18 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

For those of you who are shunned, it is in disguise a blessing. Becuase when you are not shunned, JWs come to visit. It is the most tiresome hosting you will ever endure.

For the first 2 1/2 days, it was straight talk about "Jehovah", the "Organization", the "Bible", then, "How Bad these times are", "can't wait to see someone dead in the New World" . . . all sprinkled in with a few of their dislikes of the Borg. I'm tallking 90% of the conversation was touting the JW. Now, at first, I just take the talk and nod. I don't want to be rude. That is seen as an open invitation to try to Witness to me and my kids (of course, when my back was turned).

So, that was where we drew the line. At that point, I had to have a nice conversation with the JWs. I did it nicely and calmly. It took every ounce of my patience to do this. I told them that I understood that the JWs gave them purpose, focus, and faith. I respect that. I also told them that I have studied the JW and Christianity and do not follow JW nor much of Christianity. I also said that it was rude to disregard my beliefs and make the first several days fo their visit as a JW campaign to recruit me. I admitted that I was insulted. The JW apologizes . . . then continues to preach the Bible, read the Bible, etc. for the next 36 hours!!!!!!!!!

The good news, is that my teenager is SUPER turned off now to JWs! "FREAKY" is how she described it. Telling all school buddies....too. Nothing like a good Witness to spread the Truth about the Truth!

Finally, on the last day, the JWs relax. Only mentions the JWs a few times.

I'm just so tired. It was not an enjoyable visit. I was constantly put on edge, insulted,my JW guests made references constantly to materialism, and selfishness . . especially the last day when they were not trying to make leading conversation to preach the Good News. I think this last day was pure judgemental becuase we have a nice home. Whatever. I didn't bother to counter. I just counted down the hours til they left.

So, what's worse than a JW on a doorstep? How about prosthelizing JWs in your guest room who do not respect other people's deeply held religous beliefs?

I think I'll drink several beers this weekend. I deserve it. On Sunday, we're going over to our Lesbian girlfriends who are getting married. They promised me a few free beers.

Skeeter

• Listener
    Listener

Glad that's off your chest Skeeter. I feel sorry for those JWs, it sounds like they don't even give themselves a chance to relax, no wonder so many of them have mental problems.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The best was when one JW claimed he had free speech rights. I said, "No you don't. What happened if you complained about child molestation by elders, blood transfusions, or the multiple changes in the Generation teaching?" (just so you know, we're about 4 days into the visit, and I've had it at this point). The JW said, "Oh, I don't care about those things, and that isn't what I was complainign about" So, the teenager overhears this and drops jaw. The whole way to school . .. . "He doesn't care about child molestors within the JWs, what does he care about?" I said, "Oh, he was having a personal,marital problem and complained at how the Watchtower Society in Bethel handled that." Teenager said, "Wow, he can't see beyond his nose."

I think I'm going to take my teenager shopping or out for a huge banana split!

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Here....

....you need em.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I hang my head in shame at the way I must have looked to relatives when I was in full JW mode.

Here you go, Skeeter.

Be blessed, my dear.

Sylvia

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

All I kept thinking of (to keep me from going off the deep end) is, "Skeeter, we're dealing with brainwashed people, and somewhere underneath the brainwashing are nice people trying to get through the world despite their damaged lives." And, that's what we really have. I wish I could get to meet the real people underneath the brainwashing, but that isn't going to be at this time.

Snowbird, thanks for your scripture. It worked like a charm. Never heard that line of argument again!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"Oh, I don't care about those things, and that isn't what I was complainign about"

Man, I wish you had recorded that so you could play it back to the uber JW one of these days. Tell your kid Hortensia thinks he/she is COOL! How smart to see through the bullshit so early in life.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia

• kaik
    kaik

I had visited my JW realtives after many many years. They are old, and with some issue of old age senility where they live of memories from the past, but still interested in current events. They feel to be decieved and betrayed by WT after spending half century in the "Truth". They know they will not see Armageddon as it will not appear in their lifetime and accepted the innevitable of the life. They were rather resigned and cared less what WT had to say. However, my other relatives who are in Boomer generation are awaiting the Armaggedon as a solution from their probles, the fear of entering retirement with nothing saved and a lot of debt.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

JW's are so cultish and dysfunctional. They have no idea how to act normal. They know no manners or respect for others beliefs and opinions. They think the whole world revolves around their organization. I have come to dispise the Jehovah Witness religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit