"Scriptural" Baptism

by NeverKnew 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Interesting point leaving quietly - I'd never cosidered this. I appreciate the added ammo when explaining why I'd never be baptised as one of JW's. Interesting commentary on Matthew 5:33-37. http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Matt/Oaths-Poor-Substitute

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I should rephrase this:

There is no passage that even alludes to baptism being linked to Christ's sacrifice.

There is a passage that discuss baptism into Christ's death. (Romans 6:3).

"What are we to say then? Should we continue in sin so that undeserved kindness may increase? Certainly not! Seeing that we died with reference to sin, how can we keep living any longer in it? Or do you not know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? So we were buried with him through our baptism into his death, in order that just as Christ was raised up from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also should walk in a newness of life. If we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united with him in the likeness of his resurrection." - Rom 6:1-5.

Again, JWs believe baptism into Christ and baptism into Christ's death are reserved only for the anointed. Christ's death WAS a sacrifice, so my original statement is not quite correct. So, let me amend that to say:

There is no passage that alludes to baptism being on the basis of Christ's sacrifice. There is a passage that says baptism into Christ IS baptism into his death. However, this does not apply to the vast majority of JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit