daughter questions me about mothers day!

by Truthexplorer 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

my daughter came home from school and said they are doing some cards at school for mother's day and asked me if that was OK. I looked and just smiled and said darlin, just make a lovely mothers day card and make sure to put lots of love from dad on it too

• jwfacts
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Touché Truthexplorer!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Anyone who would oppose that is really bent beyond recovery.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Ah, Truthexplorer, that's so sweet and affirming of your love to your daughter. What a great start to her life for a solid relationship with you.

I remember when I was in kindergarten in the mid-70s, we made a special Mother's Day craft as a gift to our mom's. I remember it being a baby food jar and paint markers or something of the like. It was so different and fun and anticipatory for us to be doing such a 'grown up' craft at age 6 to gift away as an expression of our affection and love to our mothers.

My parents were only studying at the time, but somewhere in the process after I joyfully made the gift (I didn't know any better), it was communicated to me that such a gesture because of this 'bad' holiday was wrong.

What a crushing lesson to a child who's only goal was to make her mother happy on a special day.

"Mother's Day" = Bad. Only in JW land.

Phae

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

So many years of mother's day cards I've missed...and it's my own fault for dragging my children into the borg. It makes me tear up now.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

thanks for everyone's kind comments. To be honest, I am totally loosening up in regard to such things. I also told my daughter not to feel under any pressure about this or that. She is to start high school after the summer and told her just to enjoy those years....AND to enjoy college and uni if that's what she chooses to do in the future

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit