I just got to play householder!

by Laika 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Laika
    Laika

I was a little nervous and a bit dazed, I think I will do better next time. He offered me the memorial invite, I told him I had JW family who would invite me and he got interested and wanted to find out more, so I told him I wasn't interested in the JW religion, he asked why and I said I find it too controlling. He thought I was talking about moral rules so started on about how Jehovah doesn't want to restrict us 'blah blah', so I pointed out that I meant they're not allowed to read certain materials which is wrong if it's as true as they are confident of.

He then went on about how Satan uses false teaching to manipulate us and so we have to be careful of what we read. I used the example of a Catholic, if he called on one this morning who refused to read his books because they don't come from a catholic source he would think he was not sufficiently challenging his beliefs, as you need to get different viewpoints to make a proper perspective.

He then started to rant about the Trinity, and said he wouldn't read a book on the Trinity because he knows it's not in the bible. I pointed out that he should have no fear about reading that book, that it would actually increase his faith if he could prove it false.

He then read me Psalm 83:18 and I was bloody freezing and couldn't work out how we ended up there so I told him I needed to go. He said he hoped to see me at the memorial, and wished me a good weekend.

I am sorry this story was not more triumphant!

He also had a child with him who kept running about in my front garden, he told the boy off, I told him not to worry about it as it gave me flashbacks to the horrors of childhood preaching.

Gosh it was weird to be on the other side! Have any of you experienced this yet?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I used the example of a Catholic,[..] not sufficiently challenging his beliefs, as you need to get different viewpoints to make a proper perspective.

That is the type of thing that will eat at him slowly. Even if he seemed head strong and not troubled by your words, believe me, these words will make their way to his heart one day ... that is of course, Asuming he has one!

When I was a kid, I was out, alone, pioneering in August and knocked on the door of a man who changed my view of preaching. I started my presentation as always:

Me: Hello sir. My name is ....... and I am out discussing with my neighbor about...

Him (Cutting me off): What? Did you just say discuss? Realy? Discuss? You're not here to discuss, your here to preach to me. And by definition, in your mind, we are not on the same level, you think you need to share something you know that I don't and its so important to you that your here on this sunny day, at my door, rather then being out and about playing with your friends.

I don't remember the rest of the conversation, but I do remember that on that day, I started to really listen to what people had to say. It changed me.

My point is that it is possible for a house holder to say things that will change the lives of the JWs.

• Laika
    Laika

Ecan6, that was brilliant, what a legend!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks for the experience you did well. There are lots of books that WT band, but on jw.org they say WT do not band anything books, music, films etc, but we know different. At least the brother accepted your point that what JWs read is restricted.

This also enforces the fact that they are a cult, WT control what information members get. control of information is part of the BITE model that proves WT is a cult. The JW will remember your conversation and in the future might wake up. You never know.

I had an experience myself with two sisters manning a trolley, we talked about how shunning and the RI process was all so unscriptural. It was nice to get a listening ear and cathartic to get it off my chest.

Kate xx

• Laika
    Laika

Thanks Kate, I think I let him dictate the conversation too much though, he did about 75% of the talking!

I think he was a pioneer, though I base this on nothing but he was calling on me at 12.30pm when your average publisher would be down the coffee shop. We exchanged names at the end btw, do you guys think I'll be a return visit?

Another thing, when I said I had JW family, he responded 'Oh you have family in the truth?' JW language is so habitual they forget to turn it off with non-JWs which is a little embarrassing.

• Miss.Fit
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

I find the Conti case (sex abuse) a good talking. It's black and white, and the average Joe publisher has got no idea of it. You could perhaps add "why do you think the WTBTS would choose to settle these cases out of court with a confidentiality clause."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You did great. Remember that they are not there to discuss anything and they use the Blitz approach. They ramble about seemingly related topics and never commit to discussing anything. Just think of the apologists that come here. Do they ever answer anything? Is a subject ever examined in an unbiased manner? When they cannot defend anything then Psalm 83:18 comes out.

You can always write down a few points and print them out. Keep them by your door for when they come by. I would definitely mention Raymundis Martini when they whip out Psalm 83:18. Then ask if GOD used this Catholic Monk or not. Then say, " So really, no one KNOWS exactly how GOD's name is pronounced, right?" Make him answer honestly. Then ask if saying Yahweh is acceptable? If he is honest he will say yes. Then say, " So really, no one can claim to be the only religion with "the truth" about GOD's name, because no one knows it, right?

You could then act ignorant and say, " Isn't there a scripture about identifying GOD's followers?" Then he will read from his own Bible that KNOWING the pronounciation of YHWH has nothing to do with the "true religion."

DD

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Telling them you have family in the truth...

Before my personal brainwashing into the borg began, I attempted to shoo jws away at the door with that line. I thought it was my Get Out of Jail Free card, but they seemed to think they had just bought Boardwalk and Park Place. They looked pleasantly bored when I opened the door, but when I said, "That's okay, my xxx is a witness and I'll just talk to them" the couple at the door got all excited and it got harder to get them to leave.

Once during a rare visit, my jw family member actually wrote a letter to a nearby cong asking them to call on me and (I'm sure) giving them all the personal details of my life. Nothing ever came of it at the time. A few years later, I foolishly decided I needed to study (what I really needed was close family, which I didn't have). I called the cong nearby and left a message, and even prayed for them to send someone. No one contacted me for at least six months.

Then two pioneers showed up one afternoon, not because I'd called the hall but because my family member's letter got handed off to them. The one who was given the letter was the PO's wife (didn't they always get all the "free" studies). They were such faithful workers for God that they didn't even have a bible or study book to share with me... just wanted to sit in the air conditioning and visit. Wished I had thought about that more intelligently at the time and told them never to come back.

cbg

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Another question you could ask. Why in the time of the end when we are eating from the table of well oiled dishes, of spiritual truths. Why are we in fact now getting less spiritual food, and down sizing. Shouldn't we be getting more and making way for spiritual expansion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit