Fred Phelps is dead

by zound 25 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

We can only hope that, on his death bed, he finally realized the error of his ways and repented for what he has said and done. As for protesting his funeral, Phelps had his 15 minutes of fame, why should anyone give him more?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...................................................................Get Off My Lawn!..

..............................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Two thoughts . . .

1) In line with George Takei's words (posted by jgnat):

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself,
    Every man is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thy friend's
    Or of thine own were:
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.

John Donne

2) When I saw the names "Fred" and "Phelps," I felt a familiarity and thought of the twins Oliver and James Phelps, known as George and Fred Weasley of Harry Potter fame, hence "Fred Phelps."

CoCo

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I think that this guys gravesite is going to need 24/7 security, I have a feeling a lot of gay sex will be going on right on top of him, as well as pics of gay sex being placed on his headstone.

• zound
    zound

Regarding the quote posted:

I don't know for sure, but imagine that perhaps some who were tormented by him might take solice in his passing. Especially those in his family who were in his clutches, beaten and abused by him - perhaps they may take comfort? It may be some kind of closure for them?

Is it wrong that I take some kind of comfort in the fact that Guy Pearce is dead? It reminds me that those crusty old men causing much sadness, sorrow and death will eventually go away. Their reign will eventually crumble.

I guess it's the appropriate thing to do to be somewhat apathetic (from a distance) when a bastard kicks the bucket. But if I'm being honest I'm glad old pastor phelps is dead, and I hope the ideals of his remaining family and church crumble with his legacy and they may be able to peice together some kind of normal life in the aftermath.

I won't be dancing on his grave, but I'm not going to feign apathy.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

A sad, self tormented man who inflicted his detachment from society and its perspective, onto his children. Many here have experienced that inherited sadness and JW detachment from 'the world' too. It is nothing to celebrate, rather it is a shame he did not find heart, or society, before he passed. Let's hope his family do. Whenever a prophetic leader dies, the doctrine has to change, new light in dark times, it is a good time for seeds of doubt to be planted, lets hope the Phelps family soil is fertile.

snare x

• zound
    zound

Just heard that a new body of eight men leadership is now in control in the church. Heard it from an interview with Nate Phelps, Fred's estranged son.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Seriously!? Another governing no-body!

• zound
    zound

He talks about it on 'the thinking atheist' podcast.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Some people are just awful, and he was certainly one of the worst hatemongers around. No one will miss him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit