Faith On The March

by RN 14 Replies latest jw friends

• RN
    RN

Anyone out there have an original edition of this book?

Because I'm trying to decide if I've lost my mind or have the worst memory ever. In my early teens (mid 1970's) I read this book, and I always wanted to read it again; especially in the early '90's when things really started to bug me. At that time I found Marley Cole's book through Stoops, so I ordered and read that. I remember reading what Cole wrote about Miss Bell and the Jellyfish, Miracle Wheet etc. and not feeling particularly surprised because I had read about those things many years ago in Faith on the March. Or so I thought.

Still thinking it would be interesting to re-read after all these years, I searched and found a reprint, paperback copy through Ebay. There is no mention of Miss Bell, Miracle Wheat, Beth Sarim. The account of the 1917 coup was so whitewashed it was barely recognizable. Either my memory is jack, or this is the most heavily edited book on the planet. Wow. Just. Wow. Recommendation: unless you can find "the real thing", don't bother.

RN

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Faith on the March is a personal account of Macmillan's life as a Jw. It would be naive to expect that he is going to delve deeply into controversial issues.

I read the book when I was young (both in physical age and experience). It had a profound affect on me. I began to see myself as one of hundreds of thousands of faithful witnesses marching together into the New System. And that of course, if the witness chronology had been correct, was what we would've been.

It is in retrospect a wrong view. But then, so it was for the early Christians, who had a similar worldview. They were also mistaken, and have had to resort to all sorts of mental juggling to reconcile the facts with their erroneous faith. (just read the mental tricks of the true believers on this site).

Btw - no need to buy a copy. Its available on the internet. If you want the viewpoint of a true believer, you can read it there, otherwise do not bother.

https://archive.org/details/FaithOnTheMarchByAHMacmillan

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Click this Link..

http://dciscorp.com/qwotes/reexamine/

Then Scroll down untill you see the item you want..

It`s near the bottom..

.............................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• steve2
    steve2

I thought Faith on the March was written by MacMillan not Marley Cole whose book on the Witnesses had a different title which I cannot recall.

• scary21
    scary21

I believe that book was written with the WT's blessing, so It's just another JW book.

Sherry

• RN
    RN

Thanks for the links. I was remembering MacMillian are being a little more forthcoming regarding a few of the "less positive" aspects of the WTS history. Obviously I'm confusing it and him with something I read at a later time. Maybe Barbara Harrison's book, though I read them a good 15 years apart.

RN

• RN
    RN
  • RN
    RN

Faith on the March was written by MacMillian and had the blessing of the WTS, but I believe was published by a "wordly" publisher. ??To give it credibility??? Marley Cole wrote "Jehovah's Witnesses-the Global Kingdom.

Cole's book actually is a little more forthcoming about some of the Society's "sins".

RN

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember my father had the book. My mother always considered the book to be very encouraging, but I never got around to reading it. Perhaps with the links provided I can now finially read.

• RN
    RN

NY44M,

An active JW would find it encouraging, today I found it just a little nauseating.--RN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit