Weird - Hacker turned over to DOD

by Amazing 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

In my post below, I related how I talked with the National Defense Information System, Dept. of the Army regarding the hacker who attacked my PC 12 times in two hours. Well, it turned out the routing went through the NDIF ... and after speaking with an Army officer in Washington, DC, they requested all information be immediately sent to them.

I got a call back, and evidently it was a little more serious and of interest to the authorities ... so, the matter has been referred by them to the Department of Defense (DOD) ... I was contacted today and told that they will be back with me shortly, and to expect to provide additional information.

Utterly fascinating.

• jerome
    jerome

Why would anyone wanna hack you?

Is this WT related?

jerome

• Amazing
    Amazing

Why would anyone want to hack me? Hell if I know.

Is it Watchtower related? I don't think so.

It just fascinated me, and when the Army took it more seriously, I thought it would be fun to post about ... might learn something.

• belbab
    belbab

Ya Amazing,

I have the same question as Jerome.

Why would anyone want to hack you?

You been fooling around with Scientology?
    The Moonies, maybe?

Surely it couldn't be the Mafia or Al Queda?

You been bad mouthin any other cult, exposin pedophiles etc.

I sure hope you told them boys in DOD what groups could possibly targetting you, and also I hope they do their job.

belbab

• myself
    myself

* holding up hand "I know! I know!"
    he/she hacker has been looking for photos of your Mel Gibson lookalike brother. <hint-hint> This Mel Gibson fan is still waiting to see the pics.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Can I ask a stupid question?

You're not using a dial-up modem?

and you aren't using ZoneAlarm or some other kind of firewall?

Why, man, for the love of god, WHY?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

You guys have got to read this book if you haven't already, I read it when it first came out. It's in a different time period of the computer world than we have been used to, but the people never change.

http://www.ercb.com/brief/brief.0059.html

The Cuckoo's Egg

Clifford Stoll

0-385-24946-2

In its least destructive form, computer hacking is a form of breaking and entering which can cost people hours, days, or months of work due to missing or damaged files or interrupted machine access.

At its worst, when it occurs on computers used in medicine and defense, it is life-threatening vandalism.

Despite this, there are still quite a few network users, particularly students, who profess to believe in "open" systems and free access for all to information, particularly information belonging to such obviously evil organisations as multinationals and the government.

One of the things The Cuckoo's Egg is about is the transformation of one such person, an astronomer turned programmer named Clifford Stoll, into a someone pro-actively concerned about computer security. In 1986 Stoll had just started working on a computer system at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory near San Francisco when he noticed a 75-cent discrepancy between the charges printed by two accounting programs responsible for charging people for machine use. What he first thought was a bug turned out to be the beginning of a chase that led him from California to West Germany via the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, and a carpenter's handful of other acronyms, and led to the arrest of a group of German hackers who had been scouring American military systems for material to sell to the KGB.

The technical details of that search are another of the things this book is about. Markus Hess, the hacker Stoll was tracking, exploited a variety of simple loopholes in computer security systems to break into machines belonging to both the military and to civilian defense contractors through the Internet, a network created by the US government which links thousands of academic, industrial, and (unclassified) military computers.

The most engrossing parts of this book are the ones which describe how Stoll patiently watched his hacker, day after day, tracking him first to a local university, then to Alabama, then Virginia, and finally to this side of the Atlantic. There is a lot of technical detail here, which some readers might find off-putting, but Stoll is careful to define his terms (even though he often does this after first using them), and assumes a user's, rather than an engineer's, knowledge of how computers work.

Jurisdiction, or rather organisational quibbles about it, is this book's third subject. Stoll's story shows the inadequacy of present legislation when confronted with crimes like these, crimes in which the perpetrator and the victim may be six thousand miles apart, and no physical evidence may remain after the crime. Once he realized he was dealing with a tenacious intruder, rather than a casual amateur out for a joyride, Stoll contacted his local FBI office.

The attitude he encountered was to plague him throughout his chase: nothing had been stolen, no-one had been kidnapped, and there was less than a million dollars at stake, so the FBI couldn't help, though they wanted to be kept informed. The CIA couldn't help either, although they wanted to be kept informed as well. The NSA's National Computer Security Center (whose responsibility was how to design secure computers, not investigating holes in existing ones), and the Air Force Office of Special Investigation gave the same answers --- no one organisation, it seemed, was responsible for computer security, though many individuals within those organisations understood and feared the erosion of the trust upon which computer networks are built which hacking was causing.

An amateur's search for an electronic criminal, his transformation from a relaxed, comfortably anti-establishment academic into someone with a stake in making the system work, and his struggles with a bureaucracy whose rules had not kept pace with the times --- in reality, this book is about the end of yet another American frontier.

When the computer revolution took off at the beginning of the 1980s, many gurus prophesied that computer networks and personal computing would make society more open and more aware of itself. For a while it seemed as though it could actually happen. Computer companies, and computing departments, were famous for their relaxed attitudes, their combination of Zen and high technology. Public networks managed by volunteers and good faith sprouted all over America, and later in Europe, to connect these people together.

It couldn't last, and didn't. A computer open enough to allow your friends easy access is necessarily open enough to allow such access to strangers, whose good will is not guaranteed. Malicious hacking, and the intentional destruction of property, have been very rare to date (or rather, publicly reported instances of it have been rare --- there is no law to force your building society to disclose how many times its computers have been held to ransom by ex-employees with a grudge), but snooping and pranks have become increasingly widespread.

Robert T. Morris Jr.'s famous worm program in 1988, which is the subject of the epilogue of this book, was only the most public of many nails being driven into the coffin of the open computer society. The gurus who created networks for us made them so useful that we must now give up the rough-and-ready hospitality of the frontier for the self-interest and suspicion of town dwellers.

Stoll is very much a product of that laid-back pioneering society, something which his writing style unfortunately reflects. When he wanders away from his detective story and describes bits of his personal life he becomes embarrassingly Californian --- there's a recipe for cookies in one of the footnotes, and his wife and roommate are both so wonderful and supportive I wanted to reach for a bucket.

His folksiness is the book's only real weak point; while some might object to the detail with which he describes the techniques hackers use, the people in black hats already know them, and the only effective basis for security is understanding.

-- Gregory V. Wilson ( [email protected])

This review was originally published in "The Independent" newspaper, London, U.K., and is reprinted by permission

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• Berean
    Berean

What happened to Amazing is quite common. I reported SNMP backdoor attempts from IP addresses listed as Defense Intelligence Agency servers. Here is an email that I got back.

The DIA has not been compromised. It's fairly common for us to get several similar reports a week from various attentive people like you around the Internet. The list of several possible compromised hosts is a common clue for us. When we really have a compromised host, we'll just get a single IP source often with a couple of protocols. It's very rare for us to have multiple hosts compromised like you're reporting.

Basically, the hackers are spoofing IP addresses and ours happen to be part of the group of spoofed addresses they are using. Sometimes we think it's intentional...they want victims to think the US government is attacking them. Personally, I think most of it is simply random IP generation. The real trick is to figure out which of the source IPs you're getting is the "real" source.

If possible, you might want to use sniff or tcpdump to look at the set of source IPs you have and see if any of the same list also make http (or other port) attempts AND got some data back. The real source will do a two way conversation on multiple ports...the false ones will not. This will work if you have a sloppy hacker knocking on your door. The good one's will do their recon from a third or fourth location.

Thank you for reporting this malicious traffic to us. Keep up the good work. We will double-check these IPs anyway just because we normally do that. If you see any further malicious traffic that appears to be from a .mil source please email [email protected]. If you see any other sources, we suggest you let CERT/CC know: www.cert.org.

Thanks again,
    Scott

SCOTT A. LAWLER, Maj, USAF
    CISSP
    Chief, Technical Analysis
    Department of Defense Computer Emergency Response Team

I run ZoneAlarm along with Sygate Personal Firewall. They work differently and therefore catch more than running just one would. I also have a router that has a firewall since my connection is always on.

Later people
    Berean

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dung:

In its least destructive form, computer hacking is a form of breaking and entering which can cost people hours, days, or months of work due to missing or damaged files or interrupted machine access.

I refute this (I assume it was the comments of the Independant?).
    In it's least destructive form it can cost SysAdmins hours of detective work, but it is unlikely to have caused damage or interrupted access.
    It's still not nice to think that someone is rummaging around in your files, though (analogous to an underwear drawer).

As for Firewalls - very few people install one, let alone several, of these.
    There are weaknesses in them all hence Berean's advice, to have several lines of defense, is appropriate.
    However I know of few laymen who know the implications of this, nor how to configure this appropriately.

• SYN
    SYN

XP is one of the first widely used Microsoft OSs to be released with built in (albiet lame & buggy) firewall protection - unfortunately you have to dig through about 6 dialogs deep in the Network Configuration settings panels in order to enable this feature. What a crock. Why couldn't it just have been enabled by default?

"If men were like their personal ads, they wouldn't need personal ads."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit