Research on legal implications of group shunning

by BreathoftheIndianNose 55 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@DOC:

The difference is that when a member leaves the Congregation to move to another Congreagation, there is no announcement made that "Bro Has Moved" is no longer a member of the "Yada yada yada Congregation".

Clearly the announcement that one is ". . . . no longer one of JWs" is NOT a membership issue. It is a covert message to say that everyone here must now take punitive action against this person to punish them.

WTS would say that the announcement simply states that one is not longer a "member of the World Wide Congregation", however they only make announcements of new LOCAL members when a person gets baptized -- NOT of the World Wide membership Newbies. Thus, if they announce that a member leaves (via DF/DA) they should announce when a local member leaves via re-location. Or, they should announce when ANY MEMBER WORLDWIDE leaves and NOT just the LOCAL member. If the announcement differs in content, then one is punitive and punishment.

This is eventually going to come up and bite them in the ass. The courts (society) is already holding religions responsible for the emotional pain resulting from sexual abuse, it is only a matter of time that they are held responsible for the emotional pain resulting from the emotional abuse of shunning. It is a hate crime based on religious intolerance.

Doc

This is all good and fine. But the announcment itself is not punative - whether it is a "covert" message or not. For those leaving the WTB&TS, I don't think a single one has ever thought the announcment itself is the punishment. It is what comes after. Perhaps it is because it is 2 AM, but I don't see why they would have to announce every membership action from the platform in order to claim that this one type of announcement ("so-and-so is no longer one of JWs") is a membership announcement only. After all, members seeking to leave are free to do so, and it is within their right to announce that decision to the congregation. This is not punative. The shunning is, however.

What would you have the courts do? What sort of path does that lead to? We all know that the WTB&TS wants to "push" individuals into "choosing" to stay within the organization through shunning. But the fact remains that this is a long policy, it is applied generally (they don't recommend shunning for some DFed/DAed and not others), and it is based upon their intpretation of scripture. The 1st amendment protects individuals and organizations from government involvment, not individuals from a private company. The courts simply can't get involved purely on the basis of shunning, insisting the WT re-interpret scripture.

Now if it goes futher than that, it could be an issue of harassment. However, that doesn't seem like a 1st amendment issue, just an issue with harassment. When you said this: " The courts (society) is already holding religions responsible for the emotional pain resulting from sexual abuse...", I think this is a different issue. Sexual abuse is a crime. Choosing not to associate with someone is not. Also, what is meant by "emotional pain" in the case of shunning? If someone can choose not to associate with you, and it causes you "emotional pain", should the goverment compel that individual to associate with you simply on the basis that it makes you feel bad? That seems like a slippery slope.

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Why should the WT have the power to bully people into having or not having association with anybody?

Because the current members have agreed to be bound by the tenants of the religion. Any one of them is well within their rights to leave.

The WT acts as if they owned its members and that is a Human Rights violation.

What human right are you referring to here? Can you articulate it?

They wouldn't be where they are today without the help of America's government. In America the rights of Corporations are above the rights of citizens. That leaves the individual at the mercy of these organizations pretty much in the same way that people was at the mercy of the government in communist countries.

I would be among the first to argue that the goverment should NOT be in bed with corporations. I would be all for getting the goverment out of the market. But, the 1st amendment is not part of the government being in bed with corporations. Quite the opposite.

The WT has 7 million drones in every country of the world for whatever purpose they want to use them.

This is true.

It is not a coincidence that America is the first exporter of sects to the world.

This, perhaps, could be true too... not sure.

The announcement so and so is no longer one of JW is figuratively a public execution and achieves the same thing: social control.

Let's go further with this. Do you think that everyone should be free of all sorts of "social control"? That is, no entity should ever be able to legally control another "socially"?

MMM

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I re-read the previous posts you cited. But I am still confused. The shunning, accourding to the WTB&TS, is the disipline - not the announcment. You said, "The shunning IS the discipline that the elders are applying.". So, I don't see how announcing membership (or lack of membership) can be viewed as the discipline. Just because it "informs" the members as to the status of the DFed or DAed individual doesn't mean that it is the discipline itself.

Correct. An announcement is made that a person’s status has changed doesn’t mean the announcement is the discipline itself.

But it also doesn’t mean the announcement is NOT the discipline itself.

Every JW and exJW knows that the discipline=DF=announcement=congregation shunning. One does not occur without the other. We all also understand that discipline for a "DA" is exactly the same as for "DF."

Only a nonJW who doesn't understand the process would mistakenly think the announcment was nothing but a membership announcement.

When you say "the announcement=discipline" - how do you figure? If the annoucement is "So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses", how does that amount to discipline?

The same way the kiss on the cheek from a mafia boss can amount to an assassination order.

It would seem to me that the announcement itself can be viewed, from a legal perspective, as a membership maintenance issue.

Yes, the announcement can be incorrectly viewed as just a membership issue and nothing more if a person doesn’t know the truth of what is going on. But the truth is the announcement is not just a membership issue, it is first and formost a communication to the congregation that the person is an unrepentant sinner and must be shunned.

How would this be any different than there being a "membership list" hung on the announcement board for anyone to see?

A “membership list” is a list of members of the group, period. not discipline.

JW announcement is the equivalent to a posted list titled: “unrepentant sinners who must be shunned.” (discipline).

But, that said, I would say that the JWs DO have the right to post such a list of their members!

They have a right to discipline their members as they see fit. And people have a right to be JWs and go through their discipline.

And people also have the right to NOT be JWs and NOT go through their discipline process.

But if you want to say that the shunning is the discipline, then that changes the topic back to what Band on the Run was addressing: the legality of shunning in general. Concerning the 1st amendment: it seems to me that the 1st amendment is more binding on the government ("CONGRESS shall make no law...") than on any religious institution. In other words, JWs shun based upon their intpretation of the biblical text. It seems like a very great infringment upon the 1st amendment rights of the JWs if the courts attempt to tell JWs how to reinterpret that text.

I would say the issue is not the legality of shunning. I would say the issue is the legality of a church disciplining someone who is a non member.

When the letter from the attorney said, "Any efforts to make a pronouncement or take action regarding Mr. Minette's status as a Christian, his moral character or any other statements which may possibly affect his relationship with others will be viewed as a violation of Mr. Minette's constitutional rights, in fact, violation of his First Amendment rights." How would this violate his first ammendment rights? The first ammendement to applies to congress, and federal, state or local government officials... so I am not sure what this means here.

As I understand it, by saying the government shall not prohibit the free exercise of religion, the first amendment is implicitly stating that the people have the right of free exercise of religion.

From The National Constitution Center website:

Freedom of Religion: The First Amendment's free exercise clause allows a person to hold whatever religious beliefs he or she wants, and to exercise that belief by attending religious services, praying in public or in private, proselytizing or wearing religious clothing, such as yarmulkes or headscarves. Also included in the free exercise clause is the right not to believe in any religion, and the right not to participate in religious activities.

http://constitutioncenter.org/constitution/the-amendments/amendment-1-freedom-of-religion-press-expression

You have the right to participate in any religion you wish. And, you have the right to be a non member of any religion you wish.

Churches can only discipline their members. If I stop attending and tell the elders I am no longer a member, they have no legal right to discipline me. Disciplining a non member is not covered under the church's freedom of religion.

It seems to me that the findings of the court case below apply... (though poster Chaserious does not agree, and posts reasons in the other thread):

http://church-discipline.blogspot.com/2008/01/marian-guinn-vs-church-of-christ.html

By voluntarily uniting with the church, she impliedly consented to submitting to its form of religious government, but did not thereby consent to relinquishing a right which the civil law guarantees her as its constitutionally protected value. The intentional and voluntary relinquishment of a known right required for a finding of an effective waiver was never established. On the record before us Parishioner - a sui juris person - removed herself from the Church of Christ congregation rolls the moment she communicated to the Elders that she was withdrawing from membership.

WHEN PARISHIONER WITHDREW HER MEMBERSHIP FROM THE CHURCH OF CHRIST AND THEREBY WITHDREW HER CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN A SPIRITUAL RELATIONSHIP IN WHICH SHE HAD IMPLICITLY AGREED TO SUBMIT TO ECCLESIASTICAL SUPERVISION, THOSE DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS THEREAFTER TAKEN BY THE ELDERS AGAINST PARISHIONER, WHICH ACTIVELY INVOLVED HER IN THE CHURCH'S WILL AND COMMAND, WERE OUTSIDE THE PURVIEW OF THE FIRST AMENDMENT [775 P.2d 778] PROTECTION AND WERE THE PROPER SUBJECT OF STATE REGULATION.

While the First Amendment requires that citizens be tolerant of religious views different from and offensive to their own, it surely does not require that those like Parishioner, who choose not to submit to the authority of any religious association, be tolerant of that group's attempts to govern them. Only those "who unite themselves" in a religious association impliedly consent to its authority over them and are "bound to submit to it." Parishioner voluntarily joined the Church of Christ and by so doing consented to submit to its tenets. When she later removed herself from membership, Parishioner withdrew her consent, depriving the Church of the power actively to monitor her spiritual life through overt disciplinary acts. No real freedom to choose religion would exist in this land if under the shield of the First Amendment religious institutions could impose their will on the unwilling and claim immunity from secular judicature for their tortious acts.

MrMustard said:

Good luck on your midterms.

Thanks. I think they went alright...

• karter
    karter

The 1st Amendment gets rite in your way here,There are groups with way more wacky idears the the WTS that operate with the full protection of the 1st IE the "Man boy love assoation"The "KKK" "White supremacy" groups the list goes on and on.

What your asking a court to rule is "Were does the 1st amendment run out"??

In my opinion it dosen't run out as far a shunning goes,Many groups like the "Free masons" and other religous groups have the same rules as the J.W's

The J.w's woul'd argue (and they are rite in IMHO) that you were read the rule book before you became one so you knew what you were getting into.

Karter.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

We'll never be able to cause shun-related legal difficulties for the WTS.

On the plus side, however, the bad PR that it results in is, IMO, for more effective.

Never underestimate the court of public opinion.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Another interesting post from the interwebs...Info posted about how to leave a church with abusive discipline while minimizing the damage the church can do to your reputation. Saving here for reference.

(When you are announced no longer a jw it is being announced to the cong is being told you are guilty of the sin of being an unrepentant sinner, so I think this info applies.)

link:

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2012/02/01/how-to-minimize-damage-when-resigning-from-a-mark-driscoll-like-church/

small quote from the page....

How to Resign

Three years ago, I spoke with a nationally well-known attorney who informed me that the only power that churches have is the ability to throw members out of the church. They can do that with very little recrimination. But, they could have some legal trouble announcing a member's supposed "sins" to the full church if said member employs the following procedure. What we are about to discuss has been “run by” legal experts. However, TWW states categorically that this should not be taken to mean it is an official legal position. Please seek advice of an attorney for an authorized opinion.

The Steps:

Resign your church membership prior to the all-church announcement. Better yet, before harsh discipline is applied.

Keep your lips sealed.

Do not tell anyone that you are going to take the following action. You do not want Sally Sycophant (we all know a few of these) to run to the pastors and report this, giving them an opportunity quickly schedule the all church gossip session.

The Letter:

We give special thanks to Arce, who knows a thing or two, for sending this format to TWW

Send the following letter, return receipt requested (and tracking, in case the Post Office lets them have it without returning the card).

Put the return receipt number on the heading of the letter (you can get the form with the number at the PO, before typing the letter).

Date

To the pastors and administrators at ____________ church.

This letter is notice that I am not longer a member [attendee] at _______________ church, effective with the date of this letter.
    As a non-member, I am no longer subject to any of your discipline as of (date on letter). After (date on letter), any publication, notice, or speaking about me by any church staff or recognized church leader is no longer authorized by me.
    Any negative remark or statement about me, any encouragement that people shun me, or any action other than deleting me from your records will be evaluated for possible legal action for libel or other tort claim against the individuals involved and the organization.
    If any one asks about me, refer them to me, any other action may result in a tort claim against you.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. You must desist from any act that may harm my reputation or me or come between me and other persons of my acquaintance. Legal action may ensue.
    Sincerely,

• You must mail the letter on the date on the letter and they will not receive it for a couple of days thereafter.
    • Keep a copy, print out the tracking showing when it was delivered, keep the green card or, if it is refused, the returned letter (they are legally responsible for the content if they refuse it).
    • Document any response or any failure to comply. If they (leadership or staff) call, listen but do not talk, except to say “I disagree” if they make a false statement about you.
    • Document the conversation.
    • Go to an attorney if they proceed to trash your reputation or that of your business.
    • Do not respond by trashing the organization.

The rest of the post is also interesting and other posts on the same blog have more info about what they authors call legal 'contracts' made between members and churches agreeing to follow church rules and to accept discipline, etc.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

-also saving here for reference-

Legal Dangers from Church Discipline

http://www.truthmagazine.com/archives/volume28/GOT028307.html

Article from a church's perspective, protecting themselves from lawsuits...doesn't really address non members much, but covers other relevant topics

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Anyone who relies on webpages to decide what to do deserves what they get. Besides, every state has its own body of law.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Shunning is 'legal' in as much as it cannot be regulated by law. Regardless of whom is giving the directives, individuals have the right to choose whether or not to follow those directives. Off course, in most cases that also measn they are shunned if they don't follow the directives but that individual has a choice and on the other side, a person cannot be "forced" to interact with someone they don't "want" to interact with regardless of the reasoning behind that.

There are two major exceptions and that would be business and family law:

- A person cannot be negligent regards any business contracts regardless of whether or not they are religiously allowed to communicate with an individual. If you work with someone who is shunned by your religious tenets, the boss can fire you if you're not performing your job because of it; if you have a contract with someone who then becomes shunned by your religious tenets, you cannot simply ignore the contract. One's choice of following or not following religious tenets is purely personal but cannot disadvantage others.

- In family law oftentimes orders and laws will state that family members cannot make disparaging comments or alienate children from their parents. That is because children are not old enough to make such decisions so the decision is made by the 'state' if one of the parents is incapable of making the decision in the best interest of the child. This oftentimes happens in custody cases where one parent is religious and the other is not, religious tenets that encourage alienation, shunning or can cause harm to the child can be considered as a factor for custody and child support.

In family law also, most jurisdictions will not allow (or disregard) when inheritances or wills condition specific religious tenets. In some jurisdictions the estate cannot disown based on religious tenets or if it can be proven that disowning happened because of religious tenets these wills may be declared invalid.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Shunning is 'legal' in as much as it cannot be regulated by law. Regardless of whom is giving the directives, individuals have the right to choose whether or not to follow those directives. Off course, in most cases that also measn they are shunned if they don't follow the directives but that individual has a choice and on the other side, a person cannot be "forced" to interact with someone they don't "want" to interact with regardless of the reasoning behind that.

Again, there is no question that shunning is legal. It is legal.

That is not the question being raised.

It is the 1st amendment right of a church to discipline its own members as it sees fit.

The question being raised here is: does a church have the right to discipline a non member?

Some court cases presented here seem to say no, a church can only discipline its members, and has no right to discipline non members.

I also have a 1st amendment right right to stop being a member of a church any time I want.

If I choose to stop being a member of a church(not DA or DF, just send a legal letter like the examples posted), then at that moment the church no longer has a right to discipline me, a non member.

^^this is the argument being made. Not that shunning is illegal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit