Has anyone found comfort/encouragement from "worldly songs"?

by awakening 44 Replies latest jw friends

• awakening
    awakening

I remember reading a thread when my exit was starting, about inspirational songs.

Someone posted a link to the "shins" For a fool. This was a surprising help to me. Anybody find the same kind of inspiration?

One of my favorites is The Electric Light Orchestra - Stepping out, its like it was written for those of us on our journey!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I think that was me!! LOL!! That song really resonated with my situation at the time. I also love Pink Floyd. I can make a drink, put on the headphones and trip out. No drugs required. When I am feeling really rebellious I listen to Queens of the Stone Age.

DD

• bemused
    bemused

Not sure it's inspirational but I always smile when I hear the line 'Why don't you all fade away?' in The Who's 'My Generation'. Great advice and also no overlapping nonsense in the title.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes, my ex, who is a JW in good standing is constantly telling lies about me to the courts to stop contact between me and my son. It's so tragic but I listen to Titanium and it gives me strength to keep going. He shoots me down, but I will not fall down, I am bulletproof. Kate xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cst7K_7jxYo

• awakening
    awakening

Well D.D.

Many thanks! I remember some dark times when i just listened to that over and over.

• Pyramid God
    Pyramid God

Radiohead is pretty much all I listened to when I was leaving. Helped a lot.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

carry on regardless- the beautiful south, was an inspiration for me:

I want my sundrenched windswept Ingred Bergman kiss, not in the next life, I WANT IT IN THIS

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Jack Johnson - Never Know

He studied with witnesses in his spiritual search. IMO this song is about that experience, last verse of the song tells you his conclusion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWCOY2bgEF0

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

SHERYL CROW - Every Day Is Winding Road.

"I get a little bit closer to feeling fine."

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

There are so many songs that I find new meaning in depending on the situation in facing in my life. I agree with previous poster, Radiohead is amazing, I get goosebumps listening to them.

The day I made my account here I was really feeling like that about Secret Heart (I like Feist's version). Just wanting to share what I truly felt with my family, especially my husband. The line about the thoughts tire trybig to concealare the very same ones that you're dying to reveal. I was listening and thought "yes! Exactly!" haha.

Wearewatchingyouman - I don't think I ever knew that about Jack Johnson, but I love that last verse and I used to be in love with JJ. I still feel really nostalgic about his songs actually.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit