Witness came to my door on Saturday

by FirstLastName 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I live in a new house and it was a matter of time before the Witnesses came through our neighborhood. Saturday around 1:30 p.m. my door rang. I opened the door and my two dogs peeked around my legs at the new arrivals. It was two ladies, well dressed and they presented the Watchtower magazines to me. I could tell the woman was nervous. Maybe no one had let her go so far in her presentation? They did not identify themselves as Jehovahs Witnesses, only people sharing a positive message to their neighbors.

It took me back to when I had to prepare presentations and walk up to complete strangers and talk to them about religion, which ofcouse is very uncomfortable. And instead is being angry about it, I felt really sorry for them. It was a gorgeous Saturday and instead of these two women enjoying their families, they were out recruiting.

I let the woman finish her presentation and smiling, I told them I was familiar with Jehovahs Witnesses but I was not interested. I told them to have a nice day and enjoy the weather. She made a polite comment about my dogs and they left.

It left me kinda sad. Cause I had been in their shoes.

Not a big revelation, I just wanted to share.

• KateWild
    KateWild

That was nice of you to let her finish. Thanks for sharing. Kate xx

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Heartfelt empathy on your part. Everyone should be treated that way - until they downright refuse to accept what is staring them in the face - just like the Pharisees did!

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

You were gracious, that speaks volumes about what a lovely person you are. You have to feel sorry for them, don't you? So many are probably trapped in.

• jam
    jam

You do feel sorry for them but once in a while you will

get that arrogant JW. A young Elder came to my door

a few years ago with his wife. He was a arrogant SOB, he

raised his vioice because he had no answer to my question.

Unbelievable, you come to my door and disrespect me in my

own home.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Reminds me in part of the story of the nervous witness who knocked on the door and was invited in. As he and the household took seats in the livingroom the householder asked him to say what he had to say. The brother squirmed around for a bit and then said "I don't know........ I've never gotten this far before."

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Maybe no one had let her go so far in her presentation?

I've seen this a few times, and i always find it interesting. Typically after the initial introduction of " Hi isn't the world bad? We have a message that gives us hope", most home owners will say "no thank you".

When someone actually let's them continue, they are usually shocked and become nervous and unsure. I've also seen instances where even though you seem willing to let them continue, they actually stop the conversation and just offer to leave you a magazine for you to read.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

in my neighborhood, we can't get anyone to speak to us-we don't speak spanish. Oddly, THEY DO, but they are working the spanish language crowds and I live in a diverse neighborhood in Houston. So, I'd talk to them (I'd enjoy it!) Only, no one will speak to me because I am anglo. Which they are too, so its extra stupid.

They REALLY don't want to actually talk to anyone.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Knock. Knock. Ten year old to adult middle-aged female householder. Do you believe in eternal life? Rev. 21..........

Do you believe in eternal life? I grew up in a large city and visited the Big Apple often. We could not afford a car so we were sardines on mass transit. Never, not ever, did I hear people discussing whether they believed in eternal life on the subway or bus. I campaigned in the last presidential election and refused to canvas at doors. I argued with the professional campaign staff that knocking on doors today would probably leave Obama with a loss in numbers.

Campaigns go online and on TV now. They said it might very well be true. I altered the script so I was not lecturing about my view of issues. Rather, I asked what interested them and offered to provide policy papers

This city recently had a special election for mayor. A high school student knocked on my door without going through the doormen. I noticed I told her to get out, called security. In the past, I would have praised her for starting at such a young age. The Bethel crowd never sees itself as a householder with privacy rights.

My feelings towards Witnesses are a jumble. Rage is one element. American culure has changed. The carts in public buildings seem fair. Knocking on my door when I am home alone and grungy is trespass. Much of it comes down to whether the Witness is arrogant and so certain they know their Bible better than I do or whether they remind me of my younger self.

I met one recently and noticed she did not self-identify and many WT terms were dropped.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Nice of you to give them the time. Shame they cannot reciprocate when dealing with da'd and da'd ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit