Amusing line in April 2014 KM

by respectful_observer 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Under "2014 Convention Reminders":

Seat Saving: When the doors to the facility are opened each morning, please to not rush to the seating area of your preference as if competing with fellow attenders. A self-sacrificing spirit that moves us to seek the good of others identifies us as true Christians and moves onlookers to praise God.

I personally don't recall them previously making reference to the JW-version of the "Running of the Bulls" that takes place every morning when the doors open at 8:00 a.m. Have seen it myself many times, it's always good for a laugh. I can only imagine what's running through the minds of the "onlookers" (a.k.a. "worldly facility staff") when this happens.

Brothers guarding the door at 7:59:

8:00:01:

I think I read it somewhere before on this forum, but someone came up with the snarky comment that "Oh, they're just practicing for the 'land rush' after Armageddon." I've used that line a few times since reading it. It usually gets a big initial laugh, and then they realize how morbid that comment really is since it means the death of billions of people.

• Comatose
    Comatose

The runners just don't realize that us attendants and workers are standing ten feet from the best seats ready to take five steps and pounce as soon as the speakers voice starts talking.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Ha Ha! Well you know what I have seen? On several occasions I have purposely sqeezed to the front of the line to get in first - for a specific reason. I've been the first one to get inside the door, and then I have RUN to the best seats. And you know what I saw every time? That the best seats were already saved (covered with WT magazines) before the rest of the people even got inside! The reason I tried that a few times was to see who was saving seats - it is the workers who get there before the doors open. They save seats for themselves and for their friends who will be arriving later. This was in Florida, at the circuit assemblies, special day, and at the district convention.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Yes it's true. They make stay "out of the arena" so we stand on the hall above the seats ten feet away. Then step quickly to them. Because even us attendants have to fight each other for the end of row prime leg room seats.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Do they still mention that you can only save seats for your immediate family and those traveling with you in the car?

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Do they still mention that you can only save seats for your immediate family and those traveling with you in the car?

Yup:

"Seats may be saved only for those living in your home or traveling in your vehicle or for your current Bible students. Special seating has been provided for the elderly and the infirm. Since this seating is limited, only one or two persons directly assisting the elderly or infirm individual may sit with him."

(I'm guessing Jesus said something similarly as detailed at the Sermon on the Mount.)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

It's laughable that these directions must be given every year to "the most loving people on earth".

"I'll die for you, brother, but I'll be damned if you'll get that seat before I do".

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Thanks respectful_observer!

My ex loved that statement. It meant we did not have to sit by my family since we did not ride together. It was so stupid. I really could have used the help of my parents and siblings since I had two small babies. But, I guess Jesus and Jehovah wanted me to sit by myself (My ex was too important to sit in his seat during the sessions)

• zebagain
    zebagain

On matters of seating.

At the Sydney conv many years ago 1973 we with pregnancy found no where to sit. I recall one kingdom matriach with dirty look at my wifes condition holding down seats "Thats for my husband" who didnt turn up. The seating was impossible the crowds immense and the Sydney weather was a sauna.The wts picked thattime of year with no regard for peoples well being.

At my last conv a sister needed seating with some leg room and a bro with his wife and daughters held position. The sister having troubles walking wept as she said "I have just had an operation"(conventions) are "the most selfish time of the year among Jehovahs witnesses".

The selfish family had plenty of seating to choose from behind us but they wouldnt budge. I wrote a letter of complaint never even got an acknowledgement.

At another big conv where parking was some distance away the city b&s grabbed all the parking as close to the site as possible then grabbed all the under cover seats. I suggested to an 'attendant' that first arrivals should have been directed to the furthest parking. "That would be too hard to arrange brother" he said.

"Because no one thought of it" i said. This was the convention where i saved a little handicapped boy from being knocked down the stairs when the drama started and a rush of Pioneer sisters came from out of the building all a gush and a flutter because "its the drama!" They burst into the landing and the stairs and if i hadnt acted quickly that little feller would have been bowled down the stairs. I told one of them off and she looked at me but was in another world and didnt even register i had spoken to her.

• Listener
    Listener

For an organization that prides itself with being organized they could be numbering and allocating seats to everyone.

"Seats may be saved only for those living in your home or traveling in your vehicle or for your current Bible students. Special seating has been provided for the elderly and the infirm. Since this seating is limited, only one or two persons directly assisting the elderly or infirm individual may sit with him."

It amazes me how unloving this organization can be. To deliberately discourage families from being together to enjoy the abundant spiritual food speak volumes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit