Once Again: It's Okay for JWs to Rip-Off Non-JWs

by Iown Mylife 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Today I heard from the owner of a small restaurant, the story of how a Brother in a local congregation ripped him off for thousands. The restaurant owner is not a JW but totally familiar with the cult, as his mother is a long-time baptized sister. She asked him to hire this wonderful Brother from her congregation to do construction work he needed at his house. The Brother asked for a lot of the money up front. The mother kept telling him he could trust the Brother totally, "...just do what he says, you won't regret it."

The job was priced very expensive, but the work turned out shoddy and with the cheapest cruddy materials to be found. While the job was going on, the Brother would send his workers to the restaurant to get meals to go, and told the workers not to pay. Just to tell the owner that he would pay later - of course, he never paid for the food which amounted to several hundred dollars.

The restaurant owner said, at every problem and glitch, his mother begged him to keep going along and not to worry. He says now, they are in a terrible fix because of this Brother, who "acts like he's second to God when he walks into the KH with his wife and children."

Meanwhile, the mother is still an active JW, but now is just a little hurt and puzzled and says she can't believe what the Brother did. She's been in the hospital with some kind of illness lately. It's probably not related to all the upset and upheaval in the family as a result of this thief she recommended.

Marina

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Wow, your not in Colorado by chance? That story sounds like it came from someone I know.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The restaurant owner could sue in Small Claims court. Also, he absolutely should write a letter to the BOE telling them in details of this "brother's" fraudulent and criminal practices.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Usually its brothers ripping off other brothers

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I would never employ a JW to do anything. I employed them in a business I ran some years ago, when I was still in, total disaster.

Sue the basta*d.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Ekks! but typical!

Ineresting how many brothers are lousy workers and cons!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Usually it's people ripping off people regardless of being a jw or not. Of course the terrible thing is that jws pretend they never ever do anything remotely like that.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My non-JW dad was ripped off for weeks of construction work by a JW contractor who subbed out work to him. That was the one time in myfamilies life that my mom went to a food bank. That 'brother'and his wife and 3 kids were coming back from a 2 week trip to Hawaii around the sametime my mom was pressuring dad not to sue 'a brother'.

He never did pay my dad. My dad, the heathen,still helped out (as a volunteer) with certain repairs to some of the elderly bros and sis's homes and even the KH. My dad didn't go to church and reserved judgement on God at all, but he was a good man with good intentions. I don't know what Brother Br*** was all about, though it came out later that he was horribly abusive to his wife (whose voice I don't remember probably because she was afraid to use it!)

• KateWild
    KateWild

To be taken advantage of is terrible, to trust someone based on their religion and then get ripped off is even worse. There are too many rougue traders about it's hard to know who to trust. What a shame.

Kate xx

• wasblind
    wasblind

Look at it as Theocratic warfare

That restaurant will be demolished in the Big " A " anyway because the owner is

" Worldy "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit