EVIDENCE CONVENTION-ATTENDANCES ARE IN DECLINE?

by steve2 19 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

There are many threads on this forum about the stultifying tedium of the conventions. Memories of one convention merge with every other convention over the years with few sticking out as high points.

In recent years, there have been lots of anecdotal reports (primarily from Western countries) of an astonishingly low number of baptismal candidates at these conventions, and in particular District Conventions - especially compared to the higher numbers who presented for baptisms in earlier decades. Is this decline also reflected in general attendances at the conventions?

This year, with the upcoming international conventions and fewer but larger venues, there has been a lot of grumbling about the huge distances Witnesses will need to travel to get to their "nearest" convention.

A recent thread even mentioned that congregations in the United States had received repeated reminders that brothers and sisters needed to book ahead their accommodation for the Summer international conventions - and had not done so. Is this tardiness usual?

More relevantly, is there any evidence that convention attendances have become problematic in the organization in recent years? Have numbers of attendees become lower than before?

Does the organization still provide attendance numbers for District Conventions?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I think its almost impossible to know. I do not believe that they report them in any sort of report, and there are so many venues.

While its a huge loyalty test to each JW individually, its actaully one of the easiest to miss with a little planning. A little white lie that you are going while on vacation in another area, or going a different weekend if yours is local and you can easily miss the DC.

I do think there will be more "ditching" this summer based on the reports on the board, but I can't find a way it can be measured.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They suck so bad... Imagine having the DC be your vacation.. The treadmill NEVER ends.

DD

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I think that Friday attendance has been declining for quite some time. In our area some choose to break up the days by attending an assembly in another location at a different time. The three days are getting to them

• ?me?
    ?me?

there are still the large percentage of hardcore, pioneer, elder witnesses. but more and more there are the families that dont play by all the rules and do whatever THEY want or need to do. they are not bothered or pressured into conforming. i have not went to a friday in probably 12 years and i lived minutes from the venue and was a subcontractor so could take off if i wanted to loose a few hundred dollars..

this year will be interesting

can someone map out all the DC locations and post it...

• Gayle
    Gayle

** wasn't it just a couple years ago or so, that congregation book studies, often just blocks away, were dropped altogether, not temporarialy, due to 'gas costs'????? ***** (tho many suspect there was more reason than that).

Seems since many to most JWs would rather go to a convention local, short distance. The cost of motels, gas and bother of box lunches, especially when coming from a distance would be certainly a bother. It's such rush trip for many. Seems getting to know others rushing in and out, no convenience to meeting other individuals much anyway. Years ago, attenders worked together in cafeteria/refreshment setups,etc. met other JWs more conveniently. Made things a bit more fun for older kids and teenagers too (of course, we kids were desperate to meet kids, (being deprived of school friends).. Now, the WTS makes many to go much further to conventions, and they don't care the about gas & motel costs??? Such a contradictory organization.

Seems WTS would suspect to receive more contibutions for them,, if the rank & file don't have to put so much out for long distance spin, spin trips.

I know it gives JWs excitement to see thousands of other JWs at one time. But the Headquarters could put up a movie/slide show of "all the brothers send their greetings and love to you from" from this and that state,,show short clips, moving or still, from several states/countries. I think most people would get a charge out of that for a few minutes or so. And that would be sufficient.

• Darkside Blues
    Darkside Blues

I'd imagine that not a few JWs literally can't cough up the cash for hotels, gas and food for this year's DC, what with the economy still sluggish and JWs tending to not have high-salary jobs. It's pretty cruel of the WT to insist that people attend even when it's not financially feasible. Even within Islam, you're only expected to go on the Hajj if you can afford it (IIRC).

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I skipped it the last few years before I left. It just seemed like a lot of time, money and effort to go to one, to then be told you weren't doing enough. I thought, if I am just going to end up feeling guilty anyway, why not just feel guilty for not going in the first place.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To answer your questions. Yes attendance numbers are still given at conventions e.g "can all X number of people please stand and sing song number 33".

I think witness are more prepared to not go to a convention now than they would of in the past. I can give an example of this. I remember as a young kid been made to sit in the boiling hot sun when a convention was on. I remember been so uncomfortable and crying Because of the heat and yet Not one person left despite the temperature. Move forward a few years and I got to observe the exact same scenario. But this time by the end of the day the stadium had clearly emptied. It was noticable that many had left mid session because of the heat. To be honest I wouldn't of blamed them, but then on the other hand it dose show the different attitude.

• steve2
    steve2

I think the calibre of the Witnesses has changed over the decades. It did seem like in earlier decades they toughed it out more - yes, joe even in the direct boiling hot sun! I remember ending up as red as a beetroot because there was no shade. Certainly, I'd hope that in more recent times venues are sheltered from the elements because sun exposure is a definite health risk (e.g., melanoma).

Even when I was an active witness up until the early 1980s, I used to become bothered and distracted by the huge numbers of attendees aimlessley milling around during the convention programs. Young ones were especially prone to doing this. Surely that number of people did not need to do so and for that long?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit