Why are they still going door to door?

by Euphemism 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Hey all, long time no see!

A friend posted the Anthony Morris videos on Facebook today, and the ensuing conversation got me wondering: why are the JWs still going door-to-door in the developed world?

It's clearly useless as an evangelizing tactic; the WT have recognized that for 20 years, with their "go where the people are" spiel, but they also insist that it's still necessary.

More broadly, the Witnesses have two major problems in the developed world right now: retention, and money. It seems like retention would be helped considerably if they had things like youth groups and social-service activities, which they could do with the same volunteer hours that currently go into preaching. And they'd get more money if they stopped encouraging members to work part-time so that they could waste their time pioneering!

Of course it would require a bit of a doctrinal change, but if the GB can pull of changes to cornerstones like 1914 or the FDS, surely they could swing something like this. So why haven't they?

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

There is another argument. I seem to remember reading some years ago about a study suggesting that this was, in fact, the most effective way to do it. It's intrusive and annoying, but also the only way to do it face to face with the largest number of people. People respond to that if they're of a mind to. Considering that about 2 out of every 3 converts leaves - same for born-ins - they need all the numbers they can get just to stay even.

As hard as it is, there is at least some evidence suggesting that it's the most effective method.

More importantly, it gives them something to do and a goal to work toward. Which is, I think, a good 50% of the reason to have them do it.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I would guess that any studies suggesting effectiveness are based on groups like the LDS, whose preachers are attending seminary, and thus planning on at least continuing to pursue higher education, are committed to the cause, and are moderately well equipped to be effective. I have to believe that the JWs are far less effective than the LDS, especially in view of the fact that for most, a good service morning is one where everyone is not at home.

• prologos
    prologos

The " there was a prophet among you" syndrome, and it feels like bee-ing a martyr, a bee's hive worker, drone, + it feels so good when its over.

• Honesty
    Honesty

They go D2D for one reason.

People who live alone thrive on comapny.

People who have recently lost loved ones are prime targets for cults.

People who are emotionally disabled will believe anyrthing that gives them hope.

Etc., etc., etc.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It keeps the R&F so busy, and tired, that they have no time to find out how enjoyable various forms of recreation are,and more importantly, it gives them no time to think.

It is a control mechanism that makes the R&F feel they are doing what "Jehovah" wants, when in reality they are simply doing what 8 men in N.Y think will keep them in the Cult.

I think DtoD has become much less used by the LDS in recent years, other methods being more to the fore, and as the W.T seems to follow the LDS lead, but never quite does it as well as they do, we will see more emphisis on other methods, like Trolley work.

Whatever the WT does, I think they will find it harder and harder to recruit, and to retain, members.

They have a big hole in the botttom of the bucket, and only a few drips (LOL) going in the top.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They can't be empowering their souls or enjoying anything if they are wasting time in field circus. After all, if they really wanted more people home, wouldn't it make sense to expect the pious-sneers to do Jupiter squares to increase the percentage of people found at home? Or, people to do Mercury, Sun, and/or Mars squares to buff their effectiveness at the door. Instead, these are "spiritism" (and they are, in fact, classified as forms of divination and spiritism). Also, they would check the astrology charts (another major form of divination) and avoid wasting time in field circus until the planets and stars line up (and with Saturn headed for Sagittarius, it would be a banner 3 years for field circus).

Another thing this does is ruins lives. Children waste play time in field circus. People are poor, and waste more resources doing field circus plus cannot work certain jobs because they would lose field circus time. No one can enjoy vacation because they must go to boasting sessions and out in field circus while on vacation. I have seen children out in field circus at age 8, all day, every day, during school vacation. This is abuse. On top of that, spankings are liberally doled out for doing what 8 year old children do while they wish to play but are stuck in field circus. The time left for play is eliminated. And no one can find time to go online, or even get a good night's sleep, while pious-sneering is required.

Maybe what those scumbags at the top need is a non-stop barrage of Saturn squares. That would nurf the effectiveness of their power and wealth, make them waste more time working for no reward, and eventually bring the religion down to its knees.

• steve2
    steve2

The Witnesses would have way too much time on their hands and different, perhaps less solvable problems would arise.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

How else can they keep the flock busy. The r&f have to stay busy and full of guilt. Otherwise they may get some independent ideas?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It has been a long time since the d2d ministry was about gaining converts. It is all about control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit