I want my donations back!

by Hortenzie 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Hi. I want to ask WT for my donations back. I live in Canada and I have Income tax receipts from them so I can prove how much I gave them...

Anybody ever tried something like that or heard about somebody doing it? What approach should i take?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: What approach should i take?

A.: Hit your head against the wall until you get a better idea.

• blondie
    blondie

I would check with your local Canadian governmental agency that regulates non-profits and see if they have such a process.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

I found this article that has some thoughts on this and a few cases (US).

http://michaelrosensays.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/can-a-nonprofit-return-a-donors-gift/

The only time nonprofit organizations are required to refund a donation is if the organization violates the terms of the gift. Otherwise, the decision about refunding is up to each individual nonprofit though state authorities may step in to protect the public interest.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The total amount I gave over the 35 years I was associated did not amount to over $200. They can keep it. I would like my time back, but that is a nother story.

• designs
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hit your head against the wall until you get a better idea. - NN

Yeah I want ten years wages for pioneering. Not holding my breath.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I would say just mail them more money, hope it finds the money that you already sent them, and that those monies fall in love and get married and have babies. Then hope those money babies find their way home to you.

Its about as feasable as getting your donations back.

I know personally three people that have given the sale of their businesses to the branch. One donation was well over a million dollars. Crazy.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I believe you should be able to pursue the society in court requesting your money back and even more on the basis that they have lied to you willfully, thus, that would constitute embezzlement.

For instance, when you get baptized, you are not informed of any negative aspects of the society by itself. They make you go through an extensive training period without telling you once anything negative. That, in itself, is lying.

Also, once you are baptized, you are bullied into staying a JW through their shunning policy. That is coercion.

Personally, I'd like to go after them in court, however, I have given too little (about 3000$) and can prove too little (about 500$) to actually do anything about it.

Yet, even with a small amount, perhaps we could group each other and go after them in a class act.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Yeah, I wan't 15 years of my life back or equivalent in money, but that's not gonna happen. The income tax receipts are the only tangible evidence. And the fact that they took my money and then DFed me. I was wondering what would happen if I called them and just asked for it.

NathanN - Why are you so negative? Did you tried to get your money back or you're jumping to conclusion?

Blondie thanks, I'll check the links. I might also try to contact a lawyer, sometime they give you 1/2 hour consultation for free...

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Let us know if you are able to get anything back. I would be very surprised if you are successful because I have read accounts of JW's lending the WTS temporary money with the notion that when they ask for it the WTS will send it back. When they asked for it back the WTS said it was a donation and wouldn't return the money. I can't remember if he sued them and what the outcome was.

I too would love to have my time back and the money. We gave a lot and my husband spent years on the RBC and he was one of the 5 or so men on the committee so he spent many hours doing plans and ordering materials. We also supplied some materials. Oh how mad I get when I realized we were slave labor and they were using us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit