Russian Parliament Approves Military Action in the Crimea

by ABibleStudent 43 Replies latest social current

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Why did Russian President Vladimir Putin ask the Russian Parliament to approve using military forces to keep the peace in the Crimea, instead of asking the UN? Why did the Russian Parliment pass a law approving military force instead of asking for the UN to send peace keeping forces to the Crimea (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/europe/ukraine-politics/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)?

Is Russia spiralling into a totalitarian dictatorship like Germany in the 1930's and the Soviet Union from 1920's - 1990's with information control and coercive tactics? How can it be stopped peacefully?

Would it help if the Ukranian Government now requested that the UN send peace keepers to the Crimea? Today I wrote a comment to President Barack Obama (www.whitehouse.gov) to privately suggest to the Ukranian and Russian governments that they request UN peace keepers be deployed to the Crimea for 90-days or until tensions reduce, and to stop making public comments that probably will irritate the Russian government.

What are your thoughts?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• designs
    designs

Russia seems to be run like a Mafia State, corruption dictates most things. The Ukraine has held an important geographic and culturalspace between Russia and Germany for a long time. This may draw the US President into a conflict like Clinton faced.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I could see under certain circumstances US forces invading a buffer zone in Canada and/or Mexico. It is hard for me to assess foreign affairs b/c citizens never see the secret intell or know the private foreign policy discussions. It is much easier to determine domestic politics. I've been tooled up about the Ukraine for the past week.

When I go through the train station into New Jersey, there are almost always troops with no markings or insignia visible. My younger self would have demanded to know who they are. What if they assault someone or need to be reported, there is no chain of command to follow. My mouth forms words but I recall 9/11 and close it. The next time I see them I am demanding to know who they are. What if every civilian filing past is expecting another person to ask. Maybe I will learn more about badges.

The US has had its incursions.

• JeffT
    JeffT

It is clear that Putin's goal is to rebuild either the Soviet Union or Imperial Russia, I don't think he cares which one it is as long as he's on top. Accordingly he does not want peace in Ukraine, he wants to take it over. Given President Obama's comments on lines in the sand in Syria and the like, I don't think he sees in downside to making the attempt. To be fair, I hope we stay out of this one, war with Russia will get ugly fast.

Band, do you have a picture of these guys? If they're wearing camo, take a close look for insigna, its there but also camouflaged.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Some wild talk ! May I suggest a bare 30 minutes research into the problem of Ukraine, before starting to post.

Why?

First, to a great extent its another political misfit (think Iraq as another). Here's one perspective on the artificial construct of Ukraine.

Ukraine is barely a country, rather an amalgam of provinces left over from failed empires - Russian, Austrian, Lithuanian, Ottoman - cobbled together into a Soviet "republic" and cast adrift after the collapse of Communism. Lviv (Lemberg) was a German-speaking city, part of Austrian Silesia; before World War II a quarter of its people were Jews. Jews were two-fifths of the population of Odessa. A fifth of the population, mainly in the east, are ethnic Russians; a tenth, mainly in the west, are Uniate Catholics, who have a special place in Catholic policy since the papacy of John Paul II. Ukrainian nationality is as dubious as Byelorussian nationality: neither of them had a dictionary of their language until 1918.

You will note that 20% of the population is ethnic Russian. The Crimea is well within the area in which they live. These people speak Russian and are proud of being Russian. They will not abandon their Russian sympathies, and Russia will not abandon them. And located in the Crimea is the main Russian Naval/Military base on the Black Sea, which of course is likely the target of the 'black' strategists in the Pentagon (America's version of the Kremlin.)

My quotation above is from a review of the West's options in Ukraine. It was written by David Goldman** (Goldman often writes under the pen-name of Spengler) . Goldman is strongly (vociferously) anti-Islam, pro-Jewish and pro-traditional European civilisation.

The central point of his analysis could be summarised as the Ukraine being a 'failed' state. (They are my words, not his). It has an enormous financial problem. Goldman estimates that the west would need to pump $20 billion into the country to sustain it. Have the Europeans got that much spare cash? Umm, maybe not. So lookout American taxpayers, better lay down now and take your pants off. Better to feign enjoyment of the process than to have it done forcibly with the spilling of more blood of young Americans and further damage to the USA's infra-structure.

Be sure it could come to that, for I doubt that Russian Russians will abandon Ukrainian Russians, and pro-west Ukrainians will not let 'Ukrainian' territory be lost. Because, giving up the pro-Russian East would not be in the interests of the American military/industrial complex that has captured control of the American state.

If you'd like to have a clearer view of the problem, read Goldman's article at:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/CEN-01-240214.html

--------------------

** Spengler is channeled byDavid P Goldman. He is Senior Fellow at the London Center for Policy Research and Associate Fellow at the Middle East Forum. His bookHow Civilizations Die (and why Islam is Dying, Too) was published by Regnery Press in September 2011. A volume of his essays on culture, religion and economics, It's Not the End of the World - It's Just the End of You, also appeared that fall, from Van Praag Press.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

fulltimestudent - Some wild talk ! May I suggest a bare 30 minutes research into the problem of Ukraine, before starting to post.

Hi fulltimestudent, Can you be a little more specific about what wild talk you are referring to?

What is so wild about the US privately suggesting to the Ukrainian and Russian governments to ask the UN to send Peace Keepers to the Crimea for 90-days or until tensions subside? In 90-days UN supervised elections could be held so that the residents of Crimea could voice their opinion about what they wanted. Of course any referendum should be passed by at least a 2/3 majority of voters to minimize disaffecting tartars and Ukraine ethnic groups.

Considering the vote counting controversy of Russia's 2012 Presidential elections and subsequent opposition to protests/freedom of speech/freedom of the press by Vladmir Putin, wouldn't UN peade keepers do a better job of maintaining peace and security than the Russian Military? If fighting occurs between tartars and Russian troops, it will be too late for the UN to help.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Not a reference to the lead post.

The possibility of war often leads to undesirable talk, when cool head's and accurate assessments would be more useful.

Nonetheless, a consideration of the geographic and political influences will often lead to a different assessment.

BTW, the ethnic Russian enclave already has a degree of autonomy and the elected leader of that government, has asked the Russian government for protection.

For a similar experience, consider Kennedy and the Russian missile threat in Cuba.

For a more positive example of a successful nation evolving out of a similar sort of political crisis, we could look at Finland, although (off the top of my head) Finland may have been more homogenous, when compared to the Ukraine.

For yet another viewpoint (which may be considered more extreme) see:

http://www.storyleak.com/ukraine-cia-eu-collude-execute-another-color-revolution/

and scroll down to:

Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 10.30.55 AM

• snowbird
    snowbird

I wouldn't trust that Vladimir Putin with a can of sardines and day-old cornbread.

Sylvia

• designs
    designs

Someone on Facebook posted a map of Ukraine showing the pipelines running from Russia through the Ukraine and on to other markets $$$$$

• JeffT
    JeffT

I would be astounded if the UN can do anything. Russia is a permanent member of the Security Council, they will veto in action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit