Atheists I have a question....and some comments on spirituality (possible ranting may follow)

by Jon Preston 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Like insaid Kate i believe spiritual and physical are hand in hand. Sure youre spiritual. And im in no position to judge you. I like this saying:

"Its a sign of strength, not weakness, to know you dont have all the answers"--John Loughbrane

the worst atrocities toward humans have been done because someone was unable to admit they dont know. And yet they hold true to disproven doctrine/teachings and EXPECT others to do the same.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I don't know if how I feel makes total sense philosophically or logically, but for me spirituality is not dependent on religion or god. If I am out in nature seeing something amazing then I feel small, quiet, reverent, and amazed. Same for staring up into the clear night sky at the stars. It's the wonder of real life and what I physically feel and see. I have also tried and really enjoyed yoga. I don't really think I'm into all the spiritual stuff that some yoga people are but I can get it. For me, since we are all made of star dust, then we are all connected in a way. Not a weird spiritual way or new age way, just in that all that we can see and feel on earth is from the same space dust. Even when we die, our atoms are recycled and so those we lose are truly still around in a way. That's about as spiritual as I get these days.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Cool Comatose! I do the same things. I find im much more spiritual with a beer in me lol and ill sit outside and look up and just wonder. Are my dreams spiritual? Theyre immaterial arent they?

Any believers out there please feel free to add your comments please. This conversation has.......evolved some ;-)

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

In my journey from a believing JW:s to a spiritually weak brother and further to an ”apostates” and now an absolute atheist, I have never ever before felt so spiritually good.

I feel sorry for all those people out there who follow traditions, mullahs, preachers books, GB, CO, DO,s , the pope, Satanist leaders, without trying to get accurate knowledge, but believing they must be spiritually better of then those who do not believe in their gods.

My GOD is searching for true and accurate knowledge, finding proof for what I actually can see, hears, and feel, this is what I think is spiritually. I like to discuss my observations with friends testing If possible their observations is more accurate than my. Not getting trapped in a ready-made “mind pattern” that others has served me. This is what my former “brothers” within the org. call apostasy, spiritually weak and worse atheism.

Bugbear

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Galatians 5: 22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

What is spirituality but to practise these 9 things? Many atheists do this a lot better than many Christians. .

• jgnat
    jgnat

What if I were to define it as unaugmented (drug-free) ecstasy? Let's for a moment say that all that is relegated to the "spiritual" realm is not another reality. It is all earth and what we experience here. As for other things that are relegated as "spirituality" such as love and kindness, let's call that the moral life. Religious or not, people can choose to live moral lives.

Using my definition, I prefer not to try and contain it logically. It comes from my vast inarticulate unconscious and if I try and box it, it loses some of it's savour. Like trying to box a rose.

I have had moments of unaugmented ecstasty as LisaRose describes, gazing at the mountains, walking a forest path, admiring the northern lights, and smelling my newborn granddaughter. I have lived fully in the moment for a few seconds while practicing mindfulness eating a raisin . I have also had moments of flow while completing a painting or peeling a carrot. I imagine the same feelings can be evoked by a Japanese tea ceremony. I have not experienced but I am told that this same feeling is had by performing acts of service for a noble cause.

Northern Lights

This is a mind-dump too. I hope it does not add to your confusion.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Watchman Nee: "According to the teaching of the Bible and the experience of believers, the human spirit can be said to comprise three parts; or, to put it another way, one can say it has three main functions. These are conscience, intuition and communion."

• Heaven
    Heaven

What is spirituality to an atheist?

It's whatever you define it to be without the insertion of religion or God.

Steven Covey defines it as the "To Leave a Legacy" human need -- to have a sense of meaning, purpose, personal congruence, and contribution in life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit