Husband addressed himself as "Used to be a JW"

by UBM101 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• UBM101
    UBM101

When asked about his religion & belief, he would tell people that his family are JWs, and he used to be one. But still he is very much against Christmas and birthdays. He seems to have no issue with new year. We hardly discuss about religion, the bible etc ever since we got married, I guess maybe because we are both scare that it may end up in a quarrel.

In one heated argument before our marriage I made him stumble into jwfacts.com by sending him an article. He was upset about that. But ever since he never said a thing or try to defend the cult.

What phase do you think he is in now?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Guilt mode. STFU mode. Damage control mode.

He is a true believer dealing with the fear, guilt etc., of not being a practicing, preaching witness of Jehovah, which means that Jehovah is going to kill him quite soon ... and then his problems will be over

.... suicide with an imaginary gun.

• UBM101
    UBM101

What should my next step be then? We are planning to move to a place away from the family to start a new life.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Some people leave the religion , however, the religion never leaves them..... Why is that ? ..... Possible reasons.

They are not very studious , so wont rely on their own doubts or questioning. They rely on elders to make decisions for them .

They are insecure individuals, and leave it up to others, who they have in effect put on a pedestal to make their decisions for them. ( even if they dont recognise it )

What they have never done in the first place is to make the truth their own by personal study and research . ( they have just accepted what they have heard from the platform , an elder , or the watchtower .)

They have allowed themselves to be brainwashed by repittition over a long period of time without verifying the facts or fallacies of what they are being told.

Some might say it is the lazy brain syndrome. : I cant be bothered doing it I will trust so and so , to do it for me.

Just my 2 cents worth

smiddy

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi UBM101, If you and your husband don't talk about and/or argue about the WTBTS, your husband's feelings can fester and cause future problems with your marriage. If your husband cannot talk about the WTBTS, at least ask him about his feelings without talking about the WTBTS.

peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• happy@last
    happy@last

I agree with smiddy. I've spoken to many ex JWs in my area and most will say that the JWs "have something" but they couldn't live up to it. When I point of they don't and it's all lies some have expressed relief others have backed off and not wanted to discuss it. Perhaps the thought of holding onto a belief system however flawed helps some, I'm not sure why myself but everyone's different.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Until such time as he realises that he has been scammed by the WT, he is damaged goods. I hope you two don't have any kids yet.

There are no quick fixes for his condition. He has to confront his demons and he doesn't want to do that, and you probably don't have the skills to make him do it. All I can suggest is to keep asking him questions, then not letting him weasel his way out of answering them honestly and giving him a guilt trip for any bullying, or dishonesty, that he uses on you to fool you into accepting crap answers or diversions.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Try to draw him out about what he now believes and stay in strict listening mode - tyr to get him to recognise he has some residual issues and that counselling may help him with that. It will be tricky and will require some skill on your behalf but I am sure you can do it. At the appropriate time you might want to introdcue him toa friendly apostate form JWN. Best of luck - at least he sees himself as an ex-JW, that has to be a start!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

woah boy UBM101,

I hear you loudly. Personally I think a mixture of not coming on too strong, planting seds of doubt without referring tothe JW etc. But also asking questions. The questions generally lead theminto defense mode which is not where you want them to be for long. When in defense mode they might want to go back to "learn more" because they feel inadequate to answer ( in reality unanswerable) questions. It is a balancing act that only you can know the points which to stop or ask.

Try to pick singular subject questions and not go off in other areas ( so tempting) encourage him to research all the WT publications, give him links to do so if he will read them there. Try to lead him eventually to non agressive or what he would percieve as hostile sites. Going to anything but jw.org will be along time coming, if ever.

Also my strategy is too make sure he is basically love bombedathome. Reinforcee every thing he has done well. Remind him of accomplishments. Encourage every action of goodwill towards others, such as any volunteering ( maybe doing so together). Plan your future together ( my husband still has no real concept ofhow to do this) . Write down dreams and goals.

I am going through this now, only he felt " called back by the big j " during the WT campaign to recover "lost sheep" a few years back that is still going on.

Physically out but still mentally in is a very dangerous emotional place for him to be. The amount of time this can take is years, so be prepared for years and years of this kind of frustration.

I agreewith abiblestudent. Keeping silent is giving the WT a chance to grow in his mind, (and a whole lot ofpent up anger inside of you) But anger and agressivenessis not the way to approach it, even though you will feel both many times. I try to remain consistant. Not overpower, but not letting it go too long.

• KateWild
    KateWild

He is clearly still indoctrinated. People can leave cults but still believe everything that they were taught. For him to move on and never to return he needs to deprogram. Trying to find the right way to help him will be challenging.

What hobbies and activities do you enjoy together?

If any like New Year are against WT teachings, you can start there as a conversation point, asking him how he feels about New Year and why it has changed? But you need to be loving and patient still as he is a believer that has left.

Keep us informed of your progress.

jgant will be along and she may have some tips, her husban finally broke free and exited WT.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit