Better Bible Translation?

by Sofia Lose 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Which Bible translation is the best, according to Biblical Scholars, anybody knows? Please chime in.

I plan on getting it and doing comparison with the New World Translation.

SL

• nelim
    nelim
    As far as I know, no translation is perfect. They all have their mistakes here and there in some verse. I usually use biblehub.com to compare with several. I think the NASB is mostly good. Young's Literal Translation is hard to read, but in a few places it does matter to get a sense of the original words as well as possible in English. Hope this helps, note that I'm a layman though.
  • Old Goat
    Old Goat
    I think the three volume Bible from 26 Translations is still in print. It's a good way to compare translations without buying them all.
  • minimus
    minimus
    N I V
  • careful
    careful

Your question presupposes that "according to Biblical Scholars" there is one, "the best" Bible translation. No offense, but this attitude may show that some Witness-type thinking is at work in your mind. There is no one "the best" Bible translation. Some are more literal, sometimes missing the meaning. Others are free, at times taking liberties that may not be legit. There are many factors that go into producing a Bible translation. Short of learning Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek (!), you could just start using several translations (note the comments from others above).

One more thing: biblical scholars are all over the page. They're hardly a unified group. Some are liberal, some conservative, some atheists or agnostics. Some are Jewish, others Catholic, others Protestant, others non-denominational. The Bible, like any other body of ancient literature, is complex, so looking for simple solutions will only lead to either disappointment or a biased fantasy.

My "chime."

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I quite like my nelson's new King James study version. It's not portable tho, for that I use the Holman Christian standard bible. As a plus, the HCSB has Yahweh hundreds of times in the old test. But for study, I love the former.

• Clambake
    Clambake

It is best to know what the bible says as an overview ( especially the new testament) before getting to excited about bible translations and which is the best because they all have some dogmatic slant to each of them.

The overview of the new testament is simply the disciples realizing Jesus is the promised Messiah talked about in the old testament and when he came back from the dead he was Jehovah in the flesh or “the angel of the lord “from the old testament. Then Paul basically creates the first century church and gods people become the body of Christ and not the Jewish people. Revelations, lots of weird stuff happens. The end.

I have never really saw much point fighting over indefinite articles and isolating single verses if you don’t really understand the reader digest version first.

I often find JWs seem to me are more interested in a weird way in disproving the bible.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I have an app on my phone called ' You version ' it has over 40 different translations of the Bible at my figure tips. I also own several different Bibles but have found over all there is no good translation of the Bible. The writers, publishers who ever are not really printing exactly what the Hebrew or the Greek words say. It's just like the maserites using the tetrogramiton for God's name. It's rubbish.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

I like the ASV, WEB, and YLT translations;

I also enjoy a BLT a lot if I'm reading the Bible during lunch.

• Terry
    Terry

Almost every modern translation stems from one of two branches of manuscripts. The fork in the road where they branch out is the point of departure.

The Early Church fathers' own comments and commentary on early texts also serve to modify understanding of 'problem' texts.

Since there are absolutely no existing original manuscripts ALL translations are guesses made from multi-generation copies.

We may as well be discussing which counterfeit bills were made by the 'best' engraver.

When all is said and done--what do you have and what can you do to compare it with non-existing originals?

If any--that means 'none' may well be a choice too--if ANY versions are better than others, you have to ask "better in what way"? And the answer has to make sense as evidence.

Demonstrably--there is no 'there' there, it is all speculative.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit