Problems of Dating the Watchtower Way

by enigma1863 61 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

I wanted to know what problems you have learned about dating in the "Truth" acording to there policy. I feel like you dont really know someone until you live with them. also some put on a false personality until they get what they want i.e. sex.

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

The chaperoning policy is complete garbage. You are prohibited from being alone with your other bf/gf unless brother Judgmental is there keeping an eye on you two. Such utter nonsense...

Also the fact that everyone gets married by the time their 18 so they can have sex without getting df'd is rather silly.

Then you have the old 40 year old zealous creeps trying to swoops in on the action with kids that are not even 21 yet. I get sick of just thinking about it.

• Stealth
    Stealth

No sex before marriage. Would you buy a car without test driving it first? Marriage is a much bigger commitment than buying a car.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Suspicious & Stealth:

I agree with you that the chaperoning thing is garbage. But, it isn't just about kids dating either.

I knew an older lady years ago who was dating a "brother" and she told me how she went to to the elders about getting "felt-up". (I had some good laughs later on with somebody else over this.) She told me that she didn't want an impotent man. She said "hell, I don't want a ROOM-MATE, I want a functioning man."

She wanted to know that his parts worked and I can't say I blame her.

• Stealth
    Stealth

also some put on a false personality until they get what they want i.e. sex.

This is true and also often occurs to people who are not JWs and do have sex before marriage. I have heard the same story many times from women, that once they got married the man's whole personality changes to a compulsive, controlling jerk. They claim they never saw it prior to marriage.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.......Two JW`s Dating for the First Time........................After 6months of Marriage they`re Thinking..

.............Hi!.......................................Yes..

Wanna get Married?!..............Lets Set A Date!............................Assh*le...................B*tch..

........................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Stealth:

That happens to be true and I have seen that: men becoming controlling.

It was a real eye-opener, especially for somebody who has been out of the dating situation for a long time. I had almost forgotten until I saw it again, up close. I realize I could never have this in my life at this stage of the game.

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

How are most JW men controlling? That in itself sounds interesting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Suspicious:

I was referring to non-JW men. I have no interest in JW men and never really did even when I was in the religion. I am a long-time "fader" who dates occasionally.

But, I am sure the same principle applies across the board, no doubt.

As I mentioned, this is not something I would or could tolerate at my age.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A important aspect of growing up is training for adulthood, particularly in the late teens; we encourage our teenage kids to learn life skills like money management, employment, and self-discipline.

Since relationships with potential partners are a significant aspect of adulthood, I would argue that dating is a form of trial-and-error "relationship training".

Therefore dating should be a part of the experience of growing up, and what's more, curtailing that training runs the risk of placing the individual at a social and emotional disadvantage when he or she is a grown-up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit