deddaisy

The Edmonton Sun

April 14, 2002 Sunday, Final Edition

SECTION: Editorial/Opinion; Pg. C20

LENGTH: 633 words

HEADLINE: CALGARY GIRL BRAINWASHED AGAINST TRANSFUSIONS

BYLINE: MINDELLE JACOBS, EDMONTON SUN

BODY:
    Brainwash young people with enough rubbish disguised as religious tenets and some of them are bound to become emotional
    cripples.

In the Middle East, vast numbers of Palestinians have a death wish, nurtured by mad mullahs who exhort people to become
    suicide bombers.

In the West, Jehovah's Witnesses feed followers the lie that leukemia can be treated without blood transfusions, which are
    against their religious beliefs. Oh, yes. The 16-year-old Jehovah's Witness girl being treated against her will in a Calgary hospital
    has been brainwashed all right.

There is no evidence whatsoever that alternative treatment would help beat her leukemia. Yet, she seems to think otherwise.

She has pinned her hopes on blood-free treatment at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

"Not only is it better for me mentally with my religious beliefs, but I would be respected and treated with dignity as a person and I
    would be given better medical treatment," she told The Calgary Sun last month.

Better treatment without blood transfusions for acute myeloid leukemia? Shame on the Jehovah's Witnesses movement for
    propagating such garbage.

And shame on the girl's lawyers for trying to persuade a judge that there's any validity to such claims.

"It's been done, it has worked," lawyer David Gnam said last month. "It has a 50% success rate compared to a 40% rate with
    conventional treatment."

That's a surprise to the experts. "Right now, there is no effective alternative to blood transfusions (for treating leukemia). That's
    the bottom line," says Dr. David Rosenthal, a professor of medicine at Harvard University.

Within five years, there may be an alternative therapy for leukemia patients that doesn't require blood products but currently that's
    not the case, he says.

Rosenthal, by the way, is no fierce opponent of non-traditional treatment. As chairman of the American Cancer Society's advisory
    committee on complementary and alternative therapy, he fully supports research into various kinds of medical care.

In the meantime, however, he says Jehovah's Witnesses' lawyers who pretend people with acute myeloid leukemia can be
    effectively treated without blood transfusions are doing a profound disservice to the public.

A cancer expert at Houston's M.D. Anderson Cancer Center is also disturbed with the claims of Jehovah's Witnesses that
    chemotherapy without blood products is a viable option.

"It may be true for some diseases but not for leukemia," says Dr. Leonard Zwelling, the centre's vice-president of research
    administration.

"If that could be done, everybody would be doing it," he says. "I've never heard of a patient with acute myeloid leukemia not
    getting platelets."

If the 16-year-old girl's lawyers have proof that it can be done, they should put their cards on the table, Zwelling says.

"Show me," he challenges. "I'd like to see their data."

He says he's not even sure medical ethical review boards would sanction studies comparing leukemia treatment with and without
    blood transfusions because of the risks of infection and loss of blood.

His message to the public? "Don't tie your doctor's hands. It may save your life."

Shane Brady, one of the girl's lawyers, says alternative therapy would involve less intensive chemotherapy, thereby minimizing the
    need for blood transfusions.

Rosenthal, the Harvard prof, is appalled at that idea. "Let her die a slow death rather than go into remission?" he wonders in
    astonishment.

The principled approach when dealing with a minor is to err on the side of life, says Dr. Philip Hebert, director of clinical ethics at
    Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital.

"Parents can make martyrs of themselves. They can't make martyrs of their children," he says.

Thankfully, the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench agrees.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Very well said.

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Thank you for the excellent article. I was asked about this very question yesterday, so the timing is perfect. Unfortunately, the person who asked me is so brainwashed he won't believe it. sigh......

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

"alternative therapy"=unproven therapy

I would like to drop kick her lawyer into the next galaxy. Anyone that understands what AML, and it's treatment, does to the blood would find "bloodless" treatment laughable.

I'm curious, has this girl had ANY treatment yet? People that are diagnosed with AML generally need to start treatment ASAP. The more time that goes by, more malignant white blood cells clog her blood. This ultimately means less chance for survival. It is when treatment is started, blood components are needed. Is this girl getting chemo whilst the court battles rage?

Hoping that it all turns out ok.

Andee

• Flip
    Flip

"Parents(Jehovah's Witness)can make martyrs of themselves. They can't make martyrs of their children."

wanna bet?

Flip

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

She has had excellent treatment, and has responded well. As she is a ward of the provincial government, they have authorized it. She has had chemo and blood, and is doing as well as can be expected from what I understand. I know there is more information in other older posts.

Her father is the one who is really suffering now as his whole world has collapsed around him and he is heavily in debt with legal bills.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Thank you Concerned Mama. I'm glad to know this girl is getting the treatment she needs.

My heart goes out to the Dad.

Andee

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

The problem is, if she lives, she will shun her father, who will be in debt for the rest of his life.

Very very sad story......

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

This is an article that I went back and found concerning her chemo....Also, I believe Hawkaw (sic) has talked to the father and had his address posted for anyone wanting to help out with a donation. This article says his legal bills alone are like $100,000, while Newsday reported the WTS making over 951 MILLION DOLLARS in 2000!!!And here is this man just trying to keep his daughter alive.... anyway I'm posting the article for anyone that's interested, and like Hawkaw posted earlier, any donation would help this guy, at least it'd be some emotional support I'd think. It sounds like she only has one more round of chemo and transfusions, if the supreme court doesn't stop it...

Edmonton Journal

May 5, 2002 Sunday Final Edition

A Calgary teenager's plea to halt life-saving blood transfusions, which violate her religious beliefs,
    is heading for the top court in the nation Monday.

The 16-year-old girl's lawyer, David Gnam has spent the last two nights preparing appeal documents
    for the Supreme Court of Canada, which he plans to file Monday morning. It will be up to the court
    to decide whether or not they will hear the teen's case.

"We are asking the court to hear the matter on an expedited basis. We need to have a hearing on
    this before the next round of treatment starts," said Gnam when reached at his Toronto home
    Saturday. His client, who uses the name Mia (the last letters of leukemia), is scheduled to begin her
    fourth and final round of chemotherapy and blood transfusions in June. "Obviously we will want a
    decision before then."

Mia and her mother have fought since February against her father and the office of Alberta's child
    welfare director, who insist the treatment should continue.

"Why not leave it alone and let her live?" Mia's 51-year-old father asked Saturday when he heard of
    the latest legal foray.

He said his daughter has been able to leave the Alberta Children's Hospital in the past week on day
    passes.

"She is looking really good. She seems to have lots of energy. Her colour is good. If these treatments
    stop she will die. She would have died already."

Mia, who has been resistant to her current therapies, has sought to have treatment that does not
    include blood transfusions at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.

Since her diagnosis with acute myeloid leukemia on Feb. 13, Mia's case has been heard in all levels
    of court in Alberta.

In both provincial family court and the Court of Queen's Bench, Mia was ordered to take the
    extensive regimen of treatments. Justice Adele Kent argued that even though she was a mature minor
    she still lacked the capacity to decide what was in her best interest.

As well, the Alberta Court of Appeal rejected legal arguments that she be considered a mature
    minor capable of making an informed decision against the recommended treatment for her leukemia.

"We will again be arguing that she should have a right to choose as a mature minor," Gnam explained
    of the upcoming application. He asked the Alberta Court of Appeal to indicate in its written ruling
    that the case should go to the Supreme Court because of its importance.

But Justice Jean Cote warned Gnam that the Supreme Court has limits on how many cases it can
    hear and must set its priorities.

Calgary lawyer Gerry Chipeur, on behalf of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, will also be filing an
    application to be heard as an interested party. The Church has an extensive history of battling for
    religious freedoms.

"The Seventh-day Adventist Church is greatly concerned that an otherwise competent young woman
    is being physically restrained, sedated and treated contrary to her express wishes and contrary to her
    religious conscience," said church secretary Nilton Amorim in an affidavit obtained by the Calgary
    Herald.

Mia's father, who is also a Jehovah's Witness, said he is doing what he believes is necessary to save
    his daughter's life.

"I can't just sit by and watch her die."

He will continue to fight all the way to the Supreme Court; unfortunately his legal bills are mounting.

Co-workers have set up a trust fund to help him tackle the more than $100,000 he owes to his
    lawyer.

The fund has been set up in the name Shunned Father at P.O. Box 20161, Calgary Place R.P.O.,
    Calgary, T2P 4J2. All cheques should be made payable to "Save My Daughter."

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I find it interesting to note that while JW's claim their position is a biblical one and not a medical one, most JWs are convinced that refusing blood transfusions is a wise medical decision. They are convinced that blood will kill them with aids or hepatitis and that they will medically do better than those who take blood.

I also find distasteful how the WT always is coaching people on what to say when the media is involved. If people were really allowed to speak honestly they would embarrass the WT with all the silly and bizarre things JWs say.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit