Who is Dr. Rodney Stark?

by slipnslidemaster 15 Replies latest jw friends

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

. http://www.jw-media.org/releases/default.htm?content=/vnr/default.htm

I know that I may be late to the party alittle bit with this, however crusing jw-media.org for J.R. Brown's press release that Bill has on his site, I ran across two realvideo links to J.R. Brown and Dr. Rodney Stark, Professor of Sociology.

I would like to know more about Dr. Rodney Stark, Professor of Sociology. Who is he? Where does he teach? What is his leanings? Why do they have this professional talking about the Witnesses? What's his agenda?

Please post.

Slipnslidemaster:"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the darkside."
    -Emperor Palpatine

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• sf
    sf

Rodney Stark
    Home, Rodney Stark, Professor. on leave 2000-2001 Phone:
    (505) 890-5271. [email protected]. Sociology of Religion. ...
    http://www.soc.washington.edu/people/faculty/faculty_detail.asp?UID=stark
    More Results From: www.soc.washington.edu

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Damn, Twirrly you're good! (and quick!)

Slipnslidemaster:"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the darkside."
    -Emperor Palpatine

• amac
    amac

Do you disagree with what he said?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Education on Child Abuse
    >"[Jehovah's Witnesses] have some ... very well-designed articles telling parents how to teach their children to deal with the molestation situation and in ways so that the child will feel secure about coming home and reporting it."—Dr. Rodney Stark, Professor of Sociology<

I don't disagree with what he said so much HALF AS MUCH as I don't understand the relevance to the issue at hand.

What the h**l has that got to do with the POLICIES Jehovah's Witnesses have in place regarding molesters in their midst?

This is apples and oranges here. All of these speakers are talking apples and oranges.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-keywords=Rodney%2BStark&bq=1/ref=asmd_tpsmr_/002-2038273-5902459

Evidentally he's quite the prolific writer if this is the same man. It would seem that he is.

I like the several reviews that describe him as "naive". He's also an agnostic.

-Emperor Palpatine

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Oh, Good Grief!

Here we go again!

The WTS:

Don't trust ANYTHING that comes from "the world", unless, of course, it is in agreement with us.

Andee

• amac
    amac

DB -

I don't disagree with what he said so much HALF AS MUCH as I don't understand the relevance to the issue at hand.

What the h**l has that got to do with the POLICIES Jehovah's Witnesses have in place regarding molesters in their midst?

His video is listed under the title "Education on Child Abuse", not "Dealing With Child Abuse—Jehovah's Witnesses' Policy", so his statements are completely relevant.

Slip -
    What do you think about what he says? Is it true or not? Being so interested in digging up his credential and the fact that you "like the several reviews that describe him as 'naive'" makes it seem as though you are bent on disagreeing with anything that is pro-JW. I have nothing against finding fault with JW teachings, but these findings have much more validity if they are not drowned out by countless hacks at everything pro-JW.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

>His video is listed under the title "Education on Child Abuse", not "Dealing With Child Abuse—Jehovah's Witnesses' Policy", so his statements are completely relevant.<

No they are not. His video is exhibited on a webpage entitled:

Education on Child Abuse: Publications of Jehovah's Witnesses

Hellooo...you had to finish the sentence, OKAY!!!!

As I said, his whole statments and videos are totally irrelevent to the handling of molesters in the organization NOW; and the handling of abuse survivors and their supporters in the organization NOW!!!

I wonder if he still stands by his statements? Perhaps someone should just ask him.

And by the way, it wasn't much trouble looking up his background. There is a link right on the front of the website. Can't miss it.

• amac
    amac
    No they are not. His video is exhibited on a webpage entitled:

Education on Child Abuse: Publications of Jehovah's Witnesses

Hellooo...you had to finish the sentence, OKAY!!!!

Yes, and since he talked about how JWs educate people about child abuse through their publications it is completely relevant to the topic it is listed under on their web page.

Again, if no one disagrees with what he said, then there is not much about this video left to discuss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit