The Plurality of God in Old Testament

by Clambake 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    worth a read....

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Johnathan Drake, i have spent a couple of years studying ancient religion and i know for a fact that most what is written in Genesis was taken from stories from much older stories from Babylon and the Sumerians. The story of the tower of babel, the flood story, the garden of eden, Moses birth story etc. Also the gods that the babylonians, Assyrians, caananites, Greek, Egyptians all came from Sumeria. So before you start posting that i dont know what im talking about why dont you just do some research on the god named El and see where it leads you.

One last thing to mention since the 1940s archeological findings have open the door big time on the reality of what and how the Christian religion came to be. Research the city of Ugarit, found in 1929 but most writings not deciphered until after 1943. 

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I wasn't actually talking about the book of genesis at any point in my posts except as a reference. But as to its history specifically as a subject:

Im well aware that the writer of genesis may likely have used older sources to put together the human history recorded according to genesis. i don't see how this relates to what I said. Just because some secular sources of the day may have been used to gather the history isn't going to change that what was recorded was still older. In fact, all it does is confirm that this worship of a god that only later came to be named YHWH was older than the pagan system developed around it and eventually changed it into a whole different system.

so I'm pretty sure we are already in agreement.

the use of secular works as referenced or quoted in the bible is a well established pattern. Jude quotes one, Christ is recorded as quoting one, Joshua quoted a couple I believe, as did the writer of the books of kings, and of course the writer of genesis. This doesn't disprove those books any more than our quoting secular works here disprove us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit