How would you compose these facts into sentences?

by compound complex 44 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear rip:

You are ever so clever a writer's writer! May pages 'pon pages of unscripted leaves be e'ermore about your penning hand!

CC

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Aww, thanks a bunch, CoCo!

And may the ink in your well never run dry!

BTW, I think one must always be careful with their words, as, they may lead to a very long sentence!*

(* If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!)

• LogCon
    LogCon

Scenario #1:

The Pastor analyzed the old man, sitting in the last row of his church. It was Sunday, his day and this was his sermon and now this blasphemer was staining the whole wonderful show by his very presence, again. How dare he! Every Sunday, for the last two months, this grizzled hermit had brought his decrepit carcass into this holy building and it looked like it was not going to end. The first time the Pastor saw him he felt revulsion and the feeling had only deepened. What was it going to take to get him to leave and never come back? This day would be no different than the last eight Sundays, of that he was sure. It sent a cold chill up his spine. As soon as he finished his sermon and the last amen was uttered, this old man, who obviously no women would want, would shuffle up to the front of the church, point a crooked finger at the Pastor and say," You say God is love, do you?" The Pastor would make his customary reply, each week with less resoluteness than the week before, " Yes, God is love." [Silently thinking to himself, 'Go away you cynical, old man, and don't come back, ever.']

The old man would follow up with his standard challenge, " Then prove it. Goddamn you, prove it!" His language had gotten stronger as the weeks progressed. The Pastor would then shake his head in disgust and walk away, to more deserving souls, who really wanted to hear the message and not just point fingers.

Scenario #2:

The Pastor analyzed the old man, sitting in the last row of his church. It was Sunday, his day and this was his sermon and now, finally, he saw someone who could really use it. A grizzled old man, beaten down by the cares and woes and trials of life. Someone who needed the love of the Christ shown to him in a real way, a way that would open his heart to the good news. Here was the one, the lost sheep who needed searching for, and now, before the Pastor’s eyes, he appears. Thank-you, Lord, for giving me an opportunity to prove to the lost sheep, your love. He changed his message today, for that one lost sheep sitting as far back as he could, but listening to the wonderful message of redemption as no other. To most he would appear cynical, but the Pastor’s heart was open to him. This was the lost sheep he had prayed to find. He spoke about the great sacrifice made for sinful mankind, and that any man, of any nation could come and be refreshed. As he spoke the old man’s eyes lit up brighter and he sat up straighter, perhaps hearing for the first time that he was valuable, he was worth something to someone who mattered, to the Creator himself. The Pastor would make sure he talked to the old man before he could leave and would invite him to supper at his home. He knew exactly what this old man needed, he needed to have proven to him the love of the Christ and the Pastor would do it, for the Pastor understood his duty.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, LogCon:

What you have written deserves its own thread!

What a difference in attitude between the "two" pastors. I will never again look at a cynical and grizzled old man in the same way! Even when looking upon my own reflection in the mirror . . .

Best to you and yours.

CoCo

• millie210
    millie210

Millie (thoroghly modern, no doubt):

Why yes Bobcat...how DID you know LOL~

Really loved how you used the 3 sentences!

• nancy drew
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Wibby(Nancy) your story made me smile!

~~~

LogCon, Really great scenarios!

Teacher CoCo said: " You go to the head of the Class!"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/273388/1/A-Touching-Story#.UwIVBRko6BZ

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Very nice, LisaRose!

I am chilled to the core -- what a twist!

Best.

CoCo

Thank you Coco. I took an informal writing class a few years ago, it was a lot of fun. So we were given an assignment to write a very short story based on one word: blood. The story ended up having a sort of macabre twist at the end. Short story long, a woman ends up doing a way with her husband. Unfortunately I scared my husband, I had to keep reassuring him I had no such designs on him. It's not like I picked the subject, lol. Unfortunately the story got lost in a computer melt down, but my husband still talks about it. No honey, you will not wake up in a bathtub with me standing over you with a knife.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Millie:

Just in case you never heard of it (but you probably have), my "thoroughly modern" quip was drawn from this.

Take Care

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It would be instructive to learn this during secondary school instead of never. Is there a standard text you would recommend? I was doing Strunk and White, Elements of Style.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit