A Purpose

by DeWandelaar 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

"Everything in life has a purpose" is something a lot of (religious) people tend to say. I used to believe that too... but I have always been wandering about animals, bacteria and everthing around us. What purpose is there? I mean... yeah I know that they LIVE... but WHY? Do they REALLY have a purpose or do they just merely "exist"?

What about flies... what is the use of a fly which lives for 1 day? What was an almighty deity thinking when he created these creatures? Or cancercells or whatever?

Purpose imo is a human invention. Anyone any ideas?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This was one of the "givens" of JW/WT thinking and teaching, that the Universe and therfore Life "must have a purpose", and in all those years I spent trapped mentally in the cult, I never thought to ask: " Why should it have a purpose ? ".

To start from the sensible position that the Universe, and therefore Life, are both random, purposeless things is probably the best way round, rather than working backwards down to that start position, from a false premise.

If you then find proof for a "purpose", and better still, what that purpose is, come back and let us know.

(Please, nobody say the answer is "42", thanks.)

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Ever thought of the purpose of mosquitoes, other than bird food??? Here we have them the size of bees (ok, a little smaller, but they're a lot bigger than in Holland) and they always seem to be after me.... I don't see no purpose, they're just plain annoying!

So to answer your question: I've got no idea. With black flies I can imagine their use, since they clean up e.g. dead animals, they're good for composting, but day flies? And were the flies created? I'm not so sure anymore how everything on this planet came to existence. God? Aliens? Evolution? I've stopped thinking about it, just accepted all as 'it exists, we're here, so let's make the most of it while we're here'.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The cicada's sole purpose is to reproduce, massivly, as a food source.

Those are the ugliest, and loudest bugs I've ever seen and heard.

A purpose in life is by the choice of the person. Touching others lives in a lasting, positive way is a pretty good purpose in my eyes.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Purpose imo is a human invention. - DeWandelaar

I agree, there are causes that have effects but you have to make your own purpose in life.

Don't let it get you down - think of it as an opportunity to have fun, to live your life and find out what has meaning to you.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Early cultures developed belief systems to explain the unexplainable. Natural phenomena was explained through the belief in supernatural power (diety). These beliefs would connect (for example) the changes in the seasons or the rising and setting of the sun as an "act of god".

The same traditions continue today - through religious systems. These explain the 'purpose in life' and will answer all questions about the unknown (life after death, the rise and fall of governmental powers, global warming, etc.) by using 'ancient' writings.

"Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Well you should already know this, but bacteria serve a very important purpose in decomposition and digestion. Right now you have more bacteria living inside you than you can imagine. You need them there.

Animals? Well they're tasty, so there's that...

But purpose IS a human invention. There is no end goal or purpose. We just happen to be living in this time period right now.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Animals, including flies, have purpose. They are food for others.

On the other hand, purpose of human existence... I'm not too sure.

• exWTslave
    exWTslave

Xanthippe has a good point! I agree with you!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I wondered as a JW, what was the purpose of ticks, fleas, tapeworms, viruses, liver flukes, botflies, mozzies, and all those other nasty parasites? Why did Jehovah create them? Well, I don't think they have a purpose. They just are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit