Interview with the JW Geek

by Hmmm 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

When I was a Senior in High School, the Principal called me in to her office to ask why I'd missed repeated deadlines to turn in my applications for colleges. I went to a school for brainiacs, and was above average there--yes, I was a geek among geeks.

The Principal asked me if it were a question of finances. She said that she'd been looking over my grades and standardized test scores, and that she was sure I could get a full scholarship to a good University. I almost asked which schools she had in mind. I would have really liked to go to one of the major state universities where I lived, and if she had held out the possibility of a scholarship there, I might not have held strong to my convictions.

Alas, I told her that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and wouldn't be going to college. She kept trying, telling me to go ahead and apply to three Universities of my choosing, and that I could always turn it down if accepted.

I successfully passed the test that Satan had placed before me.

About a year later I was working for a brother, painting houses. I was making about $10/hr. My aunt told me about a company in the area that made inserts for newspapers and such, that was hiring line workers. They were recognized nationally as one of the best companies to work for, and had positions open in the $12-18/hr range.

Visions of sugar plums danced in my head (though as a JW geek, I would never use such an analogy). This was the dream job for a young college-skippee. I figured it wouldn't be long before I worked my way up to a whopping $15/hr. I probably wouldn't get a job in the higher pay scale because it would would undoubtedly require longer working hours, but $15/hr was in the salary stratosphere as far as I and my young Pioneer friends were concerned.

I wore my best give-a-talk-at-the-assembly suit for the interview.

The gentleman conducting the interview asked me the standard questions--what I thought I had to offer to the company, yaddayaddayadda. Then he asked me what was the proudest accomplishment of my life.

This is what immediately popped into my head: I was about 15 yrs old, and my twin brother and I were horsing around. I pinned him down to the ground and was sitting on top of him. Then I started letting long strings of saliva out of my mouth, sucking them back in just before they touched him. I had been eating hard candy (Jolly Ranchers or something) so my spit was extra viscous. As the strings of spit crept successively closer to my brother's face, he started laughing uncontrollably. The final string of spit that I let out actually went inside his opened mouth. It didn't touch anything, but had he closed his mouth, he would have been forever contaminated with watermelon-flavored cooties. Using my undeveloped skills in The Force, I was able to sense the point where the slobber spear would break under the stress of recapture, and successfully retrieved it.

Obviously I couldn't tell the well-groomed professional on the other side of the desk that the proudest moment in my young life was an otherworldly control over my own spit. Instead, this is what I said:

"When I was baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

I wish I could now claim that I knew it was all hogwash, that I went to the meetings and listened with a cynical ear, anxious for the time when I could get home and do the things that I really liked. But the sad truth is that I enjoyed the meetings, and looked forward to them. I actually thought that the answer I gave the interviewer would make my God's heart rejoice, and that I was virtually guaranteed a position.

After explaining that the positions they had open were for varying shifts, the interviewer concluded by asking if I had anything to add. I said "I'll need every Tuesday and Thursday evening off, as well as all day Sunday, so I can attend the meetings."

Thinking back on it, I'm surprised I didn't offer the guy a free home bible study.

Obviously I didn't get the job. But fear not, I bore up under Satan's persecution.

Hmmm

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

I have to say that I too fell under the JW 'don't go to college' spell. My goal was to pioneer....of course. I was offered a partial scholarship to Duke University and another scholarship to Our Lady of the Lake University. Wellesley College in MA even sent a scout down TWICE to try to convince me to attend their school. If I'd had my way I would have been a happy AGGIE attending Texas A&M Veterinarian School. I now have every desire to constantly kick my own ass! Had I followed my secret dream of going to college (secret b/c as a JW my only dream was supposed to be pioneering, or Bethel, or Gilead) then I would now be a Doctor.
    Anyone know where I can get a mechanical leg to strap to my ass??

"...if there is a hell, I'll see you there." (NIN - Downward Spiral)
    I'll be the one providing the fire.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I remember back around 1992 the first series of Watchtower study articles that had to do with post-high school education for witnesses. It was also my senior year of high school. I had taken the SAT only once in the spring, but scored very low. I purposely looked for a school that either did not require SAT scores or was a technical/vocational types school. The one thing that stuck out in my mind during my HS years was the kind of "confusion" that reigned over the Witnesses about college. Some looked down on it, but others thought that at least a two year degree was indispensable--rightly so. I guess I used an elder's daughter as a reference point--if she can go to a two year, so can I. But I could have done better. I kick myself every now and then when I think about all the advice my counselors and teachers gave me back then. I eventually got a BA in 1999, but I still think to myself that I could have done much much better (I dreamed of going to law school at one point).

What the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear.

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

we have all been bloody fools havn't we?????

giving up our lives for promised pie in the sky -- well!! that's what christianity of all brands has always ben like...

i became associated in 1953 - the congregation where i came in the truth had never had much increase so i was welcomed and encouraged...yes, the older men (no elder arrrangement then) promised, promised -- i can still hear norm clifton telling me - armageddon will be here within 5 years. you will not grow old in this system. SO LIKE SO MANY OTHERS -- I THOUGHT LABOURING JOBS WILL BE OKIE FOR THAT TIME. Don't waste time on school was the mantra

well, norm is long dead... his son became a missionary and is now old in turn ...

indeed all things continue as they were from the beginning.... and these promises have turned into castles in the sand, washed away by the next tide..

if you are still associating with jws, or considering studying with them.... i have just one word of advice --- GO AND GET A REAL LIFE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! GO TO UNIVERSITY - TRAIN YOUR MIND...IT'S A WONDERFUL THING... YOUR LIFE WILL BE BETTER FOR IT.

• Xander
    Xander

Hmmm...didn't take the SAT. (Didn't need to, ya know - not going to college)

I did take the ACT, though. Maxed that sucker out - highest score possible! I was pretty geeky.

Honestly, if the me from today ran into the me from then in high school, I probably would have picked on me, too. That's a funny thought, but...looking back...I HATE my younger self.

So self-righteous and confident. I mean, I was bearing the brunt of being ridiculed and picked on because I was of the TRUE RELIGION! Not because I ridiculed others religions. Not because I dressed in second hand, mismatched clothes, and insulted others (the popular kids) for their wordly trend following. Not because I knew better than everyone - Oh, we were created by God alright, evolution was poppycock, and I was smarter than the teachers on that (after all, reading Awake is the equivelant to a 4-year education, right?).

I was never a shy kid, which probably would have been better for me. Just stupid.

And, of course, that kind of behavior was quietly supported by parents and elders, and other pioneers. After all, having a bible-smart kid being persecuted at school was surely a sign the true god was with him and your family, right?

Yup, if I had to go to school with my younger self, I'd punch me right in the face a few times.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Preston
    Preston

After reading, as I would like to call it, the "saliva account" I strongly suggest you become a writer....

• Matty
    Matty

Xander, If I had to go to school with my younger self, I'd try and stop all the other kids beating the crap out of me every day for being "different"!

• Xander
    Xander

Yeah, but I was WRONG - not them. Yeah, I was 'different' - but only because my parents taught me that I was SUPPOSED to be different.

What was it they kept telling me? '...and the world hated them, for they were no part of the world...' meaning that if the world DIDN'T hate you, you were doing something wrong...

If I didn't keep preaching ('informally') to them about how their religions were lying to them and their parents were lying to them and how they were all going to die if they didn't repent....

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Carmel
    Carmel

Glad I ditched the Borg at 15 so by the time I got around to it, attending uni was what I chose w/o dubby interference.

cheers,

carm

• Matty
    Matty

Xander, you're not wrong, I wish you were - but you're spot on as usual. It is embarrasing to admit. I thought I was special. I was going to live forever, and all those bullies were going to die...

It makes you laugh really! At least there are other people just like me, just as f*cked up as me, I get a little comfort from that!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit