does anyone know where this pic is from?

by wallsofjericho 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

is it WE Van Amberg?

• L3G
    L3G

Was Van Amburgh the strange guy with the tirades in the Golden Age/Consolation? You know, the anti-vaccination nutcase? Or am I confusing nutcases here?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Looking at the art in the brochure, I have to say I'll bet the artist is one HELL of a window-washer!

Blondie, my guess is that the women shown in the illo are either "anonymous Bethel chambermaid" or Greenlees & Chitty.

Wallsofjericho, I agree with you. The person shown is the famous Watchtower spineless prop W. E. van Amburgh, who traded his integrity for room & board.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Marked

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

L3G, yes, you are confusing famous Watchtower nutcases. The nutcase you are thinking of is C. J. Woodworth, the Demon Possessed editor of the Golden Age magazine, who wrote things like "We do well to bear in mind that among the drugs, serums, vaccines, surgical operations, etc., of the medical profession, there is nothing of value save an occasional surgical proceedure. Their so-called "science" grew out of Egyptian black magic and has not lost its demonological character.... we shall be in a sad plight when we place the welfare of the race in their hands." and "The Journal of the A. M. A. is the vilest sheet that passes the United States mail.... Nothing new and useful in theraputics escapes its unqualified condemnation. Its attacks are generally ad hominem. Its editorial columns are largely devoted to character assasination.... Its editor [Morris Fishbein] is of the type of Jew that crucified Jesus Christ."

W. E. van A. was one of the WTB&TS most precious relics, donating his self-respect to the Society's service through the reigns of Russell, Rutherford, and Knorr. At International assemblies they would soak him in tanna-leaf-tea and present his mummified self as the image of loyalty.

See my reprints of The Way to Paradise and A Bible for the Scientist for more information about WEVA (Amazon).

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Van Amburgh was the Watchtower's accountant. Financial accounting was my profession too. So I'm sure that old Van knew all the dirty financial dealings of Russell, Rutherford, and Knorr. RR, who used to post here, told me that Van Amburgh later regretted putting Rutherford in office. This was based on private corespondence between him and a non-JW relative. Since Van was one of the few Russell holdovers to survive the Rutherford purges, no doubt the old man kept a safety deposit box full of incriminating evidence as his insurance policy.

When I first saw the picture that the OP presented, I thought the first guy on the right was Sid Caesar, the famous commedian. But I guess it's supposed to be Freddy Franz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit