This may be the year California burns down

by Hortensia 26 Replies latest social current

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

State Water Agencies already said they are not going to provide water for several counties, what can Governor Brown do if the water supply drops? The wars with the Colorado River between Arizona, South Nevada and California will get worse. The snow pack, again how is adding more homes and people going to address the problem we are living in a Desert the Owen's Valley changed to a habital area?

The 1970s SoCal had a prohibition on swimming pools and cops wrote tickets for anyone who washed their car with tap water. We shall see what goes down, things are going to get interesting if we don't get more rain. Exeter lost $400 million in Citrus during the Freeze in December, you think the Global Climate is changing?

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Look at the Snow Pack in 2013 vs 2014, the Polar Vortex has people attacking Global Warmings, does this mean we are going through a strange weather cycle in California?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/18/californias-drought-situation-in-pictures-what-a-difference-one-year-makes/

Did any of you in California ever live in Modoc County, why is Modoc battling a higher than usual unemployment rate? In Oregon above Modoc, I got friends who tell me that Modoc County has a very bad Meth situation, I never have been to Modoc County, how is it?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Riley, for that information. Scary.

CC

Latest for widespread region in California:

TIMING AND STRENGTH: A SERIES OF IMPULSES WILL BRING PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS INTERIOR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. THE FIRST WAVE SHOULD ARRIVE FRIDAY, WITH SUCCESSIVE WAVES CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY. CURRENT FORECASTS SUGGEST THAT 2 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF THE SACRAMENTO AND NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEYS. BETWEEN 4 TO 8 INCHES OF LIQUID EQUIVALENT RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE MOUNTAINS.

weatherforyou.com
  • Mary
    Mary

I've long thought that instead of building the underground oil pipelines in Canada and the USA, we should be building pipelines underground that can transfer water from places that get flooded, to areas (like California), that are running on empty. That way, flooding in certain areas could be greatly reduced, and the places that urgently needed the water would be greatly helped.

With that said, civilization itself could be a big factor as to what's happening in California. I found a couple of interesting quotes on what man is doing that leads up to the droughts that can lead to once-fertile lands becoming deserts:

"...During the first four centuries AD, the Romans ruled much of North Africa, which supplied most of the grain for the Empire. Then the crops began to fail as the fragile soils were overploughed and overcultivated. Trees had been cleared to provide more land for cultivation, yet these trees were vital for regulating the amount of water in the soil, and also prevented soils from being blown or washed away. The soils which were washed away by the rain ended up as silt in the sea. The Romans were unable to stop the silt from filling their harbours, so within a few years their bustling, prosperous trading ports became ghost towns, with the sea moving ever further away as the continued deposition of silt led to the constant retreat of the sea.

Today, the same things are happening, but as we have become more civilised, we have become much better at creating deserts. Around a quarter of the South American rainforest has already been cut or burned down in order to make land available for cultivation. The rainforest soils are very fragile though, and need the trees to hold them together. Once they are removed, the soil can be washed away very quickly. Moreover, rainforest soils are not very fertile. Within a few years of use, all the nutrients in the soil are used up, meaning that crops can no longer be grown.

The soil is little better for keeping cattle. Forest soil produces 22 kilos of beef per hectare, as opposed to 270 kilos of beef on a European farm. Yet between 1966 and 1986 - 50,000 square kilometres of Brazilian rainforest were cleared to make way for new cattle ranches. Even now, when we know this, an area of tropical rainforest the size of one hundred football pitches is being destroyed every minute. The long term effects of deforestation are being ignored by governments, farmers and corporations looking to make a profit out of the first few years of land use. What makes this destruction even more pointless is the fact that a properly managed area of Brazilian rainforest can produce ten times more food than land that has been claimed for use as a cattle ranch..."

There are more people living in the State of California, than in all of Canada. How many thousands of acres of trees have been demolished to make way for multi-million dollar homes? The trees get cut down, you go a couple of years without enough rain, then you get a ton of rain all at once which causes mudslides because the dry soil can't handle it and the trees have all been chopped down.

There simply isn't never-ending resources available to suffice for that many people living there and something has to give.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Modoc county is pretty remote and has the smallest population of any county in California. I don't think there is much industry up there, or much tourism. Not enough water for farming, either, I think.

Too many people in California, too much deforestation, too much waste of water. A lot of the waste comes from industry -- All including individuals and corporations have to cut back on water usage.

Well, we'll see. We had about a half inch of snow today. It was pretty but nowhere near enough.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Are any of you old enough to remember the giant Timber Industry in California, I have vague memories of driving with my parents in the 1970s seeing a logging company along the Sacremento River with logs rolling down the River. Is this a false memory or am I thinking of some place higher on I5? It was near the California-Oregon Border.

Hortensia, did you ever visit Alturas and the Volcanic State Park at Modoc County, I wanted to fish Eagle Lake before I move to the next world, it's a bucket-list item. The water being so low, I wonder if Eagle lake is dry, the land-locked Salmon were having a big enough problem surviving previously, I hope they get lots of rain with this upcoming storm.

Mary, in Santa Barbara, Ca a Desalination Plant was built after the "Great Drought of 1970s" only to have the State Mothball it! Why can't we have water from areas that flood and send it via pipeline? The cost to make America even better, if we spent all the money that was spent on the Gulf Wars, we would have plenty of water for all!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Hey RottenRiley, I'm not that far from Alturas but haven driven out that way yet. I might make it in May -- taking a drive from Montana to Mt. Shasta, and that is one of the ways we could go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit