JW university?

by wearewatchingyouman 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The WT used to brag that their Gilead school being "accredited" by NY state

I seriously doubt that.

I don't know what significance the description that Gilead is one of many “Educational Institutions Approved by the Attorney General” has.

But I'm sure any "graduate of Gilead" will find listing that on their CV wil not be of any merit or usefulness in a little place I like to call the real world!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In response to the OP, first I don't think the GB would ever seriously consider the idea of a real, accredited university like other religious institutions have.

But for the sake of argument, let's imagine they gave it some thought ...

Right out of the gate, they could never pull it off. Unlike other religions, there couldn't possibly be enough JWs with the requisite background to staff the faculty of even a small university and get any kind of legitimate accreditation. And they certainly wouldn't hire non-JW professors.

Even a JW "theological" seminary or sorts would require professors holding doctorate degrees in a wide variety of disciplines: English, Mathematics, Science, History & Government, Art and/or Music.

Here's a short list of General Education (lower division) requirements from a local 4 year college with a religious affiliation:

• Humanities: One religion course and three additional courses selected from religion, literature, philosophy, history or humanities.
    • Social Sciences: Two courses in different disciplines selected from an approved list: cultural anthropology, criminal justice, economics, cultural geography, political science, psychology, or sociology.
    • Natural Sciences: One course, with a lab component: physical anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, physical geography, geology, or physics.
    • Visual and Performing Arts

I know JWs like to pretend that they are the best at everything they do and don't need "worldy accreditation" for what they do, but for the WTBTS to try and create a bona fide university they would need that. A degree from an unaccredited institution isn't worth much once you leave school.

What would a WT driven curriculum look like?

Imagine Sam Herd telling someone with a PhD in Chemistry that radiometric dating with Carbon-14 is unreliable; or what about that goofball, Stephen Lett, who's dumber than a box of rocks. Can you picture him arguing the year 607 B.C.E. with a genuine expert in middle eastern history, someone with a degree in archaeology and real field experience? What would a real clinical psychologist and the bigot Anthony Morris have to discuss?

Nah, it's never gonna' happen. That's why all the JW "schools" are all "taught" by company men covering only JW doctrine and WT approved "theology."

Don't forget: This is a cult! They are only interested in cult indoctrination via WT propaganda. They are most definitely NOT interested in education. Why do I say that? Let me quote the Awake! of June 22, 2000 for my answer:

Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda !

“A fool will believe anything.”—PROVERBS 14:15, TODAY’S ENGLISH VERSION.

THERE is a difference—a big difference—between education and propaganda . Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target. - Awake! of June 22, 2000, p. 9 - [Underlining added, italics in original]

I really hate this fucking religion!

• blondie
    blondie

Here's what the WTS said about Gilead early on. I don't think this is still in force.

*** w55 11/15 p. 684 Part 22—Gilead and Congregational Ministry Schools ***

Modern History of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Part 22—Gilead and Congregational Ministry Schools

THE first one hundred students who met the qualifications were called to come to the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead by January 31, 1943. The qualifications for entry into the new school were at least two years of full-time service as a pioneer and also a basic education equal to about high school training. Inasmuch as then the second world war was still being waged, only American pioneers were extended the call to join the first class. The next day, February 1, 1943, the school was dedicated with a plain but impressive program. It was dedicated as a New World school of highest learning, with God’s sacred Word, the Bible, as the school’s basic textbook. N. H. Knorr, the school’s president, and several members of the Watch Tower Society’s board of directors gave addresses on this historic occasion. Later that day the school schedule of classes commenced. Five and a half hours of schooling are scheduled each of the five days of the week from 8:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. with one hour off for lunch at noon. Each day four classroom sessions and a lecture session are held. In the afternoon, from 2:40 until 5:40, three hours of domestic duties about the school and farm are assigned for diversion from school routine. Week ends are spent in doing research work and sharing in field service.

The school’s curriculum of studies is a full program offering 26 weeks of higher, college-level training equivalent to one year in secular colleges or universities. After ten years, in January, 1953, the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead was finally officially recognized by the United States Office of Education in Washington, D.C., as offering higher education comparable to professional colleges and educational institutions. This has enabled the United States Department of Justice and its Immigration and Naturalization Service since January 15, 1953, together with the United States Department of State (functioning through its consuls in foreign countries), to grant foreign students of Jehovah’s witnesses visas to enter the United States to enroll at the Watchtower School under the nonimmigrant student visa arrangement.

• steve2
    steve2

There'd be an unhold scramble for enrolments for courses on Playpen Management 101, Uncritical Thinking 201 and Unquestioning Obedience 101.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Blondie, thanks for sharing that.

I wonder how the WTBTS was able to convince the INS that Gilead was a valid reason to grant foreigners VISAs as students, but I'm still not buying this nonsense propaganda from the WT you cited:

The school’s curriculum of studies is a full program offering 26 weeks of higher, college-level training equivalent to one year in secular colleges or universities.

No! Hell no! For all the reasons I cited in my post above, there is no way in hell that 26 weeks at Gilead is "equivalent to one year in secular colleges or universities." That's just nonsense.

For starters, let's look at the "school's curriculum":

It was dedicated as a New World school of highest learning, with God’s sacred Word, the Bible, as the school’s basic textbook.

So they have bibles ... and no doubt a bunch of WT publications ... how in the world would ANYONE think THAT is in any way a "curriculum" "equivalent" to any college or university? The people that write WT publications don't even have anything beyond a "basic high school" education!

Also, take very careful notice of how the WTBTS described Gilead: "college-level training" Training is NOT education.

train·ing

: a process by which someone is taught the skills that are needed for an art, profession, or job

: the process by which an athlete prepares for competition by exercising, practicing, etc.

1 a : the act, process, or method of one that trains

1 b : the skill, knowledge, or experience acquired by one that trains compare that with:

ed·u·ca·tion

: the action or process of teaching someone especially in a school, college, or university

: the knowledge, skill, and understanding that you get from attending a school, college, or university

: a field of study that deals with the methods and problems of teaching

1 a : the action or process of educating or of being educated;also : a stage of such a process

1 b : the knowledge and development resulting from an educational process <a person of little education>

2 : the field of study that deals mainly with methods of teaching and learning in schools

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Again: " Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think ." - g2000 6/22, p. 9

WT publications are propaganda. They do NOT teach people to think. In fact, they strongly discourage it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for your contributions to this thread, oubliette. They certainly have exposed the 'feet of clay' on the metallic image the WTS has presented concerning the Gilead Missionary School. By extension, this would also apply to the Patterson Education Center, touted by the WTS as a place where scholarship and research into biblical topics is actively pursued. I'm sure that even a cursory examination of any of the programs of "study" being conducted there would reveal the same lack of length, height and width that real education encompasses.

I'm ashamed to say that for years I believed the lie that WTS publications could give their readers the equivalent of a college education. Once I became a college engineering student, I quickly saw how untrue that was--at least with respect to mathematics and the physical sciences. A WTS publication doesn't even cover what a student would learn in a quarter or semester at an accredited community college, let alone a four-year institution. The scientific articles that are presented don't even scratch the surface of any topic discussed, and they are written on a grade level that would not challenge anyone.

I remember that after I returned to college to get my degree in mathematics, some in the congregation asked me if I would try to relate some meeting material to my own studies. I replied that I had no intention of doing so because there was no compatibility between my studies and WTS publications. They would no more mix together than oil and water would because the one was so much denser than the other. My questioners immediately grasped the point and never asked me again. Now, with the sophistication of WTS publications at an all-time low, the incompatibility is even greater, but sad to say, most JWs couldn't care less. They are happy to have their minds cleansed and free from "Satan's influence."

Quendi

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

No! Hell no! For all the reasons I cited in my post above, there is no way in hell that 26 weeks at Gilead is "equivalent to one year in secular colleges or universities." That's just nonsense.

With all due respect - Between boot camp and all the training courses in the military I came out with a shit ton of college credits. It only took me two light full time semesters to get my associates, and everything transfered towards my bachelors. In no way was what I learned in those basic pass fail training courses in the military equivalent to a year in a University either. But hey, I'm not complaining

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't know, if they run it as a theological seminary I think they can dodge a good many of the issues associated with accreditation. They may also be in a position to get their students governement backed loans. How those loans would be paid back is another issue, unless they move to having a paid clergy. Then the question becomes how are the clergy going to be paid.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I posted this on a thread about a year ago...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/226613/1/Are-the-Witnesses-opposing-God-with-their-twisted-view-of-higher-education#.UuaHNvQo6IU

Forgetting the fact that the WTS would never put several thousand hormone infused 18-21 y.o. together in a dorm environment (DF-ings every week!), can you even imagine what a “Watchtower College” would be like? I imagine something along these lines….

Co-ed dorms? Not a chance.

Dorm rooms? No locks. And the RA (aka “The Inspector”) has free reign to root through your stuff.

Sports teams? No way. This avoids “bad association” with the other team on the field/court and avoids a competitive spirit.

Student Government? Don’t even ask the question.

Days off for holidays? Of course…the Memorial (and “Spring Break” would become “Spring ‘Pioneer during Memorial season’ Break”). No other holidays.

Alcohol on campus? Verboten!

Philosophy classes? Nope.

World Religions classes? Yep. And the textbook will be “Mankind’s Search for God”

Biology classes? Sort of. The reading materials would the Creator book and every Awake! article written on ants, whales, polar bears, etc….EVOLUTION IS A THEORY.

Music classes? Sure, but no rap or hard rock, no music that has religious roots, no music that is too sexual or mentions violence (good thing the “bees molested” line is gone out of the songbook!)

Constitutional Law? Definitely. Learn all about Minersville v. Gobitis, WT v. Village of Stratton, and every other JW US Supreme Court case. (Jimmy Swaggart Ministries v. Board of Equalization of CA will NOT be studied.) Level II classes learn how to fight blood transfusions in court.

GPA? Your service time would actually be factored into the equation. If it remains too low, you flunk out of school.

Commencement Speaker? A different member of the GB each year.

That’s off the top of my head. I’m sure you all have many more ideas…

R_O

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit