Become a Witness??

by littlelamb 28 Replies latest jw friends

• littlelamb
    littlelamb

Hello all...well I am very new to this site. I have recently been contemplating of fiding out more about the Jehovah's Witness religion. I have done some research, have talked and am friends with witnesses, and am ready to take it a step further. I want to start going to meetings and would like to visit the Kindom Hall...and would love to better aquaint myself with the word of God. I am just not spiritually satisfied and think that this is a road I would like to take to happiness.
    The only things holding me back is that I need to know if this is the right decision. My family used to be active witnesses, but once my parents divorced (I was 8) my mother become Catholic and is totall against me becoming a witness. My friends, mostely Catholic, are very upset at me for considering this religion and I don't know why so many people think this way. Why don't people agree with the beliefs of Witnesses, why is everyone so cautions?
    Is there anyone with advice? Should I choose my family or my faith? How do I go about becoming a Witness-do I just walk into a meeting or Kingdom Hall?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Littlelamb,

My advice is to develop a deep relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. And read God's word daily and pray to him for guidance, forgiveness of our sins, and help. These things will help you when you start going to the meetings.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, Littlelamb, your family and friends are against your becoming a Witness because they are well aware of the consequences of that action.....especially those family members who were once Witnesses.

Becoming a Witness means embracing a form of pseudo-spirituality, which is actually total loyalty to a publishing company. Every aspect of your life will be theirs to manipulate as they wish. Your current family and friends will most likely become "past" family and friends, since you will be encouraged to eschew association with those who might "contaminate" your "faith"....a faith which is no more than a conditioning to obey the "mother" organization at all costs.

Before you make any sort of commitment, research everything you can. Joining the JWs is not something to be taken lightly, and it is not going to increase your spirituality. It will, however, occupy your time and your resources so that any possibility of a real relationship with God is put on the back burner.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

One, you may want to read the book that is advertised on your post under your name. I was also take the time to research the WT history on the internet. A great website to do this is www.freeminds.org. The Watchtower Society has an embarrassing past history that they try to coverup. JW's try to discourage potential recruits to stay away from JW web sites that are not approved by the Watchtower Society. That is because they don't want the truth to come out about them.

Another great web site is www.freedomofmind.com Most Cult experts agree that the JW's fall under the category of cult or destructive mind controling religion. Freedom of minds explains how cults recruit and how to determine if a religion is a cult.

Hope this helps,
    Devon

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Please visit www.freeminds.org. Then come back and talk to us.

Lizard

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Why are none of you not directing this person to God's word the bible?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Actually, Fred, you have a good point. You do realize, of course, that studying with the JWs means Watchtower literature....not the Bible....right?

• detective
    detective

Did you know that cult experts such as Steve Hassan have outlined common characteristics of high control groups (aka cults)? Did you know that the watchtower bible and tract society (jehovah's witnesses) utilize many of the techniques and demonstrate many of the characteristics of a high control cult?

You can learn more about these types of characteristics by visiting www.freedomofmind.org (cult expert Steve Hassan's site).

It might be helpful to learn more about these types of groups to be sure that you won't be mislead in your search for a greater meaning to life.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Fred has a good point, study the Bible, especially:

Matthew 7:15
    Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 24:11
    And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Matthew 24:24
    For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mark 13:22
    For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Luke 6:26
    Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

2 Peter 2:1
    But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

1 John 4:1
    Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

• moman
    moman

The JW's are great at "love-bombing" to get you into their clutches, but they know absolutly nothing about the type of love Jesus preached!

This cult is a danger to all that value FREEDOM!
    Do your research & you will understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit